2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation2021-09-08T09:33:02+10:00

Forums Australia 2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 979 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I wonder if Obst is willing to try a moving circle with Horjus and Dwan.

Would be a shame to see either of those young players on the bench and Potgieter can’t possibly be in their long-term plan. I would love to see Bassett signed, but highly doubt we’ll see that.

Austin to Vixens was obvious once she started following them this morning 😏

chloe
    Participant

Dwan possibly at the T’birds makes no sense to me. I don’t think that T’birds will improve her game and she’ll be expected to work around Horjus and change her game if they play together. I’m praying that she doesn’t end up on the same path as Gooden.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by chloe.
    Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Yep, confuses me too but if she is signed, I’m thinking we may see more of Horjus at WA and Dwan at GA? That would allow Nankivell to play at C as well.

Statbird
    Participant

With the young Jamaican star Latty signing a two year deal with TB does that mean Blackman will train for another two years with no opportunity? Considering Latty spent most of 2021 on the bench seems to confirm you only sign Shamny with Latty. Hence the poor culture and lack of South Aussies at the TBirds. I wish Netball Australia would get out of their bubble and realise the league needs more Aussies and more teams. Oh by the way Shamira will be the big announcement tomorrow.

Harvz81
    Participant

Potgeiter not very confident with the super shots so I guess by having Dwan there, T’Birds hope for it it rain super shots when the time comes…

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I actually think Latty really came into her own in the latter half of the season. She shows a lot of promise in my opinion but I can’t compare that to Blackman because I’ve never seen her play at this level (never given a shot). Unless she’s picked up interstate, I don’t see her getting a contract anytime in the near future, unfortunately.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I do agree that there’s a problem right now with the number of imports vs local talent being promoted. There needs to be a balance between having the best netball league in the world and keeping Australian Netball at the top and for that reason, I think the SSN should gradually adopt similar rules as VSNL in regard to imports. Once the league has expanded to the point where local talent from the ANL/State league is consistently being pushed through (so when there are at least 11/12 clubs), these rules won’t be as big of a problem. But that won’t be for a while. I think it will take the Diamonds not winning the CWG/NWC before Netball Australia bother taking a serious look at this problem. It doesn’t help that the NA and SSN board have merged (a very stupid idea in my opinion).

PICASSO123
    Participant

@Statbird well with only squads of 10 in next seasons SSN, teams would be looking for versatile players with exceptions of those who dominate one position (Shammy and Fowler for instance). LaTanya plays 3 positions (GK, GD, WD) and whenever she’s thrown into any, she gets the job done regardless.

Joyjamie
    Participant

For me love having the Imports but really feel like there should be restrictions like VNSL. if the Swifts were in VNSL they would not be able to have Wallace and Housby on the Court at the same time, increasing team sizes to 12 might give more opportunities to more local talent

TB
    Participant

If they had those type of restrictions, they (SSN/Aus) wouldn’t be able to deem themselves as the best netball comp in the world.

The part I don’t understand is those teams that take on imports, and they spend most of the season on the bench. Surely those positions could go to a local?

Morts
    Participant

I’m fully on board with having the best players in the world in SSN. If we adopted the UK rule we wouldn’t be able to watch Mentor and Ward in the circle together, and to me – that’s a loss.

My problem is signing internationals who are no better/marginally better than local talent. I don’t think SSN is here to develop internationals, they should come in as proven A class players, and clearly better than local alternatives. That was my issue with Haythornthwaite at Swifts. She plugged a gap due to injuries a few years ago, but was clearly the 4th best WA in the team this year. For the same reason, I wouldn’t be signing McCollin, Cardwell, Cobden, Drakeford-Lewis, Shadine VDM etc. And if Potgeiter gets a spot over Wallam…. Disappointed!!

Joyjamie
    Participant

Don’t worry England haven’t got anymore WA to send which for the Roses is a big problem Think the success we have had recently is down to players playing in SSN. Coaches will ultimately decide which players will improve their team and sometimes bringing youngsters through isn’t on the agenda, Swifts now have 2 places left what do they do? go for for local talent from their academy or elsewhere.

Ian Harkin

As I’ve said before… we don’t have too many imports, we have too few teams!

Like Morts, I get disappointed when imports are brought in at the expense of local talent when they’re really not that good. We should have only the best imports here. A player really has to be a star in NZ or UK to be worthy of being an import in SSN.

netballfan91
    Participant

Interesting to note that Austin’s teammates have been very, very quiet on social media? I can only see that manua made a short comment on Austin’s departure post, and a post by Amy Parmenter in reference to Austin and Poolman leaving. no one else made the ‘I’m going to miss you!’ style
    Insta stories etc? I find the Giants culture/dynamics very weird.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Yep, agree @netballfan91

In other news, it looks like the two Diamonds camps are merging.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 979 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation