2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation2021-09-08T09:33:02+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 979 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Great call @netballfan91
      When you look at how the swifts teammates responded to their departures and compare it with the giants… chalk and cheese in terms of culture it seems. JFitz has a reputation for players being fiercely loyal to her and vice versa, but not so great when players aren’t so maybe that has filtered down.

enozlas
      Participant

Shammy locked in for two more…
        2 years of Sterling/Garrett/Wilson makes me one VERY excited Tbird fan. Defence has always been a strength of ours though.. hope they get the other end right too!

NB12
        Participant

Article on Austin quotes her saying something along the lines of, a team with 3 great shooters can manage sharing the game time well but it’s not something that Giants do very well.

Even Giants social media post today – “have no fear, Harten’s still here”. It reeks of poor sportsmanship. Newsflash: Harten was actually the problem for so many games last season.

She was very supportive of Dwyer and her excellent season.

Hats off to Austin and Garbin for making these moves. Austin in particular has done a great thing for Australian netball.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by NB12.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by NB12.
          al_ex
          Participant

Jo Harten is allergic to the bench. In my opinion her 2021 season was one of the most overrated by commentators. Even when she was having completely off games, Letherbarrow still got no real court time. In the 14 rounds of the season she committed 111 turnovers, which is almost 8 per game. She was way above the other top performing GSs. I’m a big JFitz fan but it’s a serious weakness in her coaching. Austin would have been fighting Dwyer for court time and I understand why she wouldn’t want to do that coming back from a serious injury.

Great for T’Birds to get Sterling back for two years, I really thought they’d lose her. The Queensland teams probably can’t afford her though what with their lineups. I wonder if her salary at T’Birds is getting close to JFR’s level at Fever. She deserves every cent of it.

blondebomb
            Participant

There seems to be so many 2 year contracts, does that mean we arent going to see any expansion in teams till at least 2024?

Tully
              Participant

I didn’t really think Sterling was going to leave TBirds. Very strong defence.

Read that Vixens were interested in Ellis before she chose Fever. Can’t see why they would try to bring Ellis back (was a TP) unless it’s because Dehaney has left. Dehaney’s arrival would also explain Hinchliffe’s departure so I’m expecting that announcement soon.

The same person that told me Austin to Vixens gave me the Smith to Swift’s tip so I am locking that in.

I expect Eddy and MJ and am then really not sure who will be the Vixens’ 10th player. Given they had interest in Ellis makes me think they want a tall circle defender so maybe Brooke Allan who is very talented and just needs a chance or if they want more of a WD then maybe Sharni Lambden.

netballfan91
                Participant

Yeah I agree @enozlas
                  I have a friend who, some moons ago, was in Fitzgerald’s team. She sat behind some of the BIG names now famous from netball NSW, and at least in her eyes, ‘Julie had her favourites.’ She isn’t bitter about it, at least now, but she 100% understood she was on the outer. I assume that happens in lots of teams though.

Statbird
                  Participant

Rumoured signings – Blackman and Watson as training partners for TBirds for another 2 years! Congrats to all involved. SA Netball Pathway working a treat.

NB12
                    Participant

@netballfan91 – can I assume that was at the very beginning of the CBT? There were a couple of Swifts players in the 10 then that only got court time when they played Orioles or Firebirds.

When I think back, Julie has had certain players remain and quite a few notable departures over the years.

You are right though, it happens across all teams but with Julie, some players still get rewarded for poor performances and that must really hurt those on the bench.

Netballcrazy1
                      Participant

ahhh, I feel for both Blackman though, she will need to look elsewhere for a contract in the coming years since Thunderbirds defence is locked in for the foreseeable future. Same with Watson but I think she might be slightly younger.

Hoping Williams gets a contract ??

Netballcrazy1
                        Participant

Actually ignore that, both around 20/21 years old but hopefully if ANL goes ahead they can eventually get contracts interstate.

enozlas
                          Participant

Steph wood signed for only 1 year.. maybe wants to see how this season plays out and then assess options?
                            Interested in the players who have only signed for 1 year and what the thought process is. Nankivell is another one that comes to mind.

Netballcrazy1
                            Participant

I definitely think any player that chooses to sign a 1 year deal themselves is open to moving depending on how 2022 goes. That was definitely my concern with Nankivell, has been given opportunities to develop with the Thunderbirds and is really starting to look like a future Diamond as well, but would be a shame to lose her. I think Wood is a bit different, tough few seasons with injuries and she might decide that she needs a change.

Tully
                              Participant

In theory they can move but there won’t be many spots to move to!

Who has one year contracts we know of other than Wood and Nankivell? Newton, Lind and Sinclair at Collingwood. Any others?

Vixens haven’t announced contract lengths but read Mundy signed for two.

I’d say Eddy will be announced today.

enozlas
                                Participant

That’s a good point that if most people are signed on for 2 there really won’t be many options next year..
                                  if the trend continues I feel like we’ll have relatively settled like ups for 2 seasons and then shake ups every 2nd signing period… interesting dynamic.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 979 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top