2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation2021-09-08T09:33:02+10:00

Forums Australia 2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 979 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My jaw DROPPED at Liz’s reply to CBass. “I can only surmise by the fact you do not have a contract that they deemed you not good enough”. Not saying Liz is wrong but she didn’t hold her punches. Oof!!

WeWood
    Participant

That’s pretty tough. But Liz isn’t wrong.

I imagine CBass put out the feelers but was told every inn was full or not taking bookings.. Does seem strange she hasn’t linked up with Alexander who is clearly her biggest fan.

Do we think any team will be willing to take CBass on as a training partner??

Kerryn
    Participant

as a kiwi (who has gained a heck load more respect for her in the past couple of years) I would bring her back here and use her as shooting mentor to all the young ones coming through (and there’s a crap load of them) kinda like Irene has done – aussie netball has crapped on her well and truely. part of the reason I was hoping she was going to go with LA

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Tweet thread: (hoepfully I type this out correctly)

CBass: Hey Liz, it’s hard to show you are ‘good enough’ when getting sat on the bench & pigeon holed into a rebounding role. How can a player be ‘good enough’ to be in the Australian Squad but not make the court in SSN? 🤔

Liz: Caitlin they are excellent questions that I don’t have the answers to. They are probably best answered by the people who make the recruiting decisions. I can only surmise by the fact that you don’t have a contract that they deemed you not good enough. I was asked my opinion and I gave it. It’s ok if you don’t agree. As I also said it is a difficult and disappointing situation for you and I am concerned about the lack of a feeder competition into the SSN that you could play in to prove yourself. At the end of the day no one has a right to an SSN contract.

Happy to talk further about this if you want to call me (not exactly sure when this came up in the thread)

CBass: Never said I have a right to a contract and respect everyone has a right to their opinion however my concern is the bigger picture – that Australian athletes are not getting the opportunities- the only way players are going to get better is by being out there on court

Liz: Well then we have the same concern don’t we? But propose different solutions. I like the unlimited import rule. If it means that an ex Diamonds captain can’t get a contract then so be it. But I would like there to be a way for you to play your way in.

By way of a revamped Australian Netball League that gives Australian players the opportunity to play at a higher standard than State League. It needs to be reinstated as a matter of urgency.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I really wanted to start this as a separate thread to get more eyes on it but for some reason my posting isn’t working.

Anyways, I think Liz’s comments are a bit generalised for this situation. CBass was in NZ last year (and was hampered by the knee injury) and now she is having double knee surgery in Aus. Those circumstances have definitely made it more difficult and taking into consideration teams’ desire to keep building on their current shooting circles, I think she had a difficult time getting a contract. so I don’t think the ‘CBass is not good enough’ comment was really warranted by Liz. Also agree that she has been crapped on by Australian netball to some extent.

Any team would be lucky to have her as a training partner, allowing their younger shooters and defenders to learn so I think as long as CBass is willing to take a TP contract in Aus and makes that known, she shouldn’t have a problem getting some training under her belt. On top of that, if things need to be changed within a team, she could get promoted to the game day 10. I think Thunderbirds are probably the best candidate for that since Potgieter is a bit inconsistent.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Updated tweet thread

CBass: Hey Liz, it’s hard to show you are ‘good enough’ when getting sat on the bench & pigeon holed into a rebounding role. How can a player be ‘good enough’ to be in the Australian Squad but not make the court in SSN? 🤔

Liz: Caitlin they are excellent questions that I don’t have the answers to. They are probably best answered by the people who make the recruiting decisions. I can only surmise by the fact that you don’t have a contract that they deemed you not good enough. I was asked my opinion and I gave it. It’s ok if you don’t agree. As I also said it is a difficult and disappointing situation for you and I am concerned about the lack of a feeder competition into the SSN that you could play in to prove yourself. At the end of the day no one has a right to an SSN contract.

Happy to talk further about this if you want to call me (not exactly sure when this came up in the thread)

CBass: Never said I have a right to a contract and respect everyone has a right to their opinion however my concern is the bigger picture – that Australian athletes are not getting the opportunities- the only way players are going to get better is by being out there on court

Liz: Well then we have the same concern don’t we? But propose different solutions. I like the unlimited import rule. If it means that an ex Diamonds captain can’t get a contract then so be it. But I would like there to be a way for you to play your way in.

By way of a revamped Australian Netball League that gives Australian players the opportunity to play at a higher standard than State League. It needs to be reinstated as a matter of urgency.

CBass: You like the unlimited import rule because you no longer play netball & it doesn’t impact your position. I think the imports bring amazing talent but I also believe that we have equally talented Aussie athletes, I would love more options to help them achieve their netball dreams.

Liz: Aah no. It’s not about me. I like the unlimited import rule because the intention when SSN was set up was to have the best players in the world play here. In the best league in the world. Part of that deliberate strategy was having the ANL to foster emerging talent to help them.

Achieve their netball dreams. I worry that it is no longer available. Like I said earlier we both have the same concerns but propose different solutions. All part of the debate.

If someone would be kind enough to start a new topic with the article link and the above tweets (or I can copy them in afterwards actually) that’d be great. Really interested to hear people’s thoughts but my account won’t let me start a new topic

mcleod
    Participant

As a Silver Ferns fan, I always found CBass the biggest threat to the Ferns. Her of the bench performance in the 2011 WC final was so impressive.

And I have always found Liz Ellis a grub player, nothing else.

cookiesnjam
    Participant

Tbh since Bassett will have to go through rehab for 2 knees and the competitions are all going to be pushed forward for comm games, maybe teams just don’t think she’ll rehab fast enough in order to be match-fit for competition?

Siouxsie Que
    Participant

I’m not on Twitter nor can I see The Courier Mail article but IMO if the Tweeted conversation is ‘as above’ then I think Liz Ellis has gone way too far. It is not just about imports (which are a huge issue for 1 particular position – GS), it also about game plans, the 2 point shot and the fact that C Bass is having knee surgery on both knees which is ‘double the risk’ re: recovery. It is not just about being ‘not good enough’. Poor form from an influential ex Captain with no concern for mental well being. It is OK to have a discussion but a bit more sensitivity could have been used. IMO having the concentration of imports at GS is not a good outcome for Australian netball at an international level and down the line could have implications. I like the fact we have imports but the issue needs to be looked at. Just having Aussie GS in the ANL prevents GS connections with the centre court and GA being made at the ‘higher level’ of SSN. Additionally, the expectation is that a GS at ANL can step up to International level with nothing inbetween. All our eggs are in 1 basket at the moment and that is Koenan. Garbin is unlikely to get a lot of exposure at GS in the SSN if Nelson keeps improving. Would a potential Australian GS even want to aim for that position with the current situation or focus on being developed into any other position on the netball court?

Tully
    Participant

@ all-rounder, I had thought of Coffey and the Firebirds as well. However, didn’t the FBs article on Mi Mi say that Mi Mi would again be the only indigenous player in SSN? Surely they wouldn’t have said that if they knew their final player was indigenous.

Would be great for Coffey but again she is more of a GD these days and they need a GK.

cookiesnjam
    Participant

The real issue here is about Super Netball’s new rules. Having super-shots and time-outs have just made the Diamonds standard drop. Players don’t even feel scared about having scores blowing out because they know that super-shots can save them all. And if something is not working, they just wait for the captain to call timeout and the coach just has to tell them what to do- this has cost the Diamonds to lose against the Ferns many times now. IMO if there was no super-shot then Bassett would still have gotten a contract.

mcleod
    Participant

Agree cookiesnjam, recent Con Cup game. 10min mark in the 3rd Q of game 4. Ferns down by 8 goals, 8 minutes later Ferns lead by 2. They scored something like 11 of the next 12 goals. Diamonds seemed totally clueless as to know how to stop it.

gwalk11
    Participant

My take on this: they are both a bit right, and both a bit wrong

CBass has not acknowledged her ongoing injury, which would have contributed to the decision to not sign her. She also played in a comp without a super point last year and from all reports did not perform particularly well – some clubs may have looked at that as her chance to prove herself and were not impressed with what they saw. The “good enough’ to be in the Australian’ Squad come across a touch entitled, although I know what she means and understand why she is hurting. However, she is absolutely right that the concentration of international or non-Diamonds eligible players in GS is a big problem that should be fixed by some form of restriction.

Liz – I agree with her point that there should be a better ANL league under SSN, but disagree that there should be no form of restrictions on SSN internationals (I am more in favour of restrictions by playing area). Ultimately, I think she could have taken the high ground here and not responded to CBass or just called her to discuss given CBass is clearly coming from a place of hurt with this one. I think a lot of what Liz said is correct but it maybe did not need to be said to Caitlin in a public forum, when Caitlin’s points are so clearly loaded with her own hurt.

Ultimately, I still think Giants and JFitz have a large responsibility for this mess lol.

Kerryn
    Participant

I think CBass is 100% right with the GS issue – and I think the point was for not only her, but also Donnelle Wallam (sp) who should have a contract and if you look at the VNL last season – three of the best shooters, were aussies unable to get SSN contracts (Wallam, Borger, Bailey) and in my opinion if Liz was still playing now, she would have a very different opinion about the imports – as I don’t think she would really have a shit show against any of them

Cb98
    Participant

@gwalk11 – CBass played well in the NZ comp, the problem was other than Grace Kara who was out a lot with an injury, none of the magic midcourt knew how to feed her. She also had a fantastic game against Jane Watson and Karin Burger, making the case for her selection to the Australian squad very clear.

Personally, I would hate to see imports limited – I do like that we have the best netball league in the world. But if that is the stated goal of SSN, then Netball Australia definitely need to work on alternate development pathways for Australian netball players so they can play and get experience at a sufficient level to be able to play international games. I don’t know how you’d implement this in terms of regulations, but there should be a requirement that any international players are at least as good as any Australian signing options.

I also think Liz Ellis was overly harsh – seemed unnecessary to bring up Caitlin’s lack of contract and imply that Caitlin thought she was entitled to a contract, her tweet still conveys her points without those two sentences.

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 979 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation