2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation2021-09-08T09:33:02+10:00

Forums Australia 2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 979 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wow EUB is definitely worth the wait. Did not see that coming but probably get more court time than at Team Bath if guscoth and pavelin both have signed there. Great news for Jenner as that’s GK sorted.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by xanadudenz.
    Ian Harkin

There you go. Eboni Usoro-Brown. Does she qualify as “someone better”?

I knew they wouldn’t be happy to just go with some rejects from other teams. It’s taken them a while but they got there.

cookiesnjam
    Participant

I love the way Usoro-Brown plays, especially at GK. I’ve always felt that that was her best position- she sometimes doesn’t last full games out at GD so it’s great as I assume she’ll get the start at GK with Jenner at GD. Looking forward to seeing how they combine together!

Ian Harkin

By the way, how about this thread. Struggle to get any more than 10 pages on most threads, and we’re up to page 63 with this one.

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

I’m very interested in exactly what knee surgery CBass had then. There aren’t many off-season fixups (that players have still been playing on) that would require a lengthy rehab or an uncertain one. Most top level athletes across all codes have some sort of “cleanup” job done on the off season (approx 2/3-3/4 of most AFL teams!)it’s just not spoken about as much… If it’s not an ACL, her recovery wouldn’t be cloudy and she wouldn’t be a poor prospect based on that. I think the above posters are correct in saying it’s a number of reasons like poorer feeding to her in NZ by way of other player injuries and also the super shot here in SSN.

gwalk11
    Participant

@Cb98 – Thank you, that is good to hear. Unfortunately if I were a club I still probably wouldn’t have taken a risk on contracting CBass with her injury but I understand that would be frustrating for her because clubs have done that for others (like Hinchliffe). And, to her point, she has limited avenues now to prove herself fit.

I am excited for EUB!! That is a really fun signing and she will bring so much experience to a young defensive end at Firebirds!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by gwalk11.
    Maryann
    Participant

@Montyandpoppy – I dont know the specifics but the injuries were to the meniscus.

netballmum
    Participant

The real issue for Cbass is not so much the unlimited imports as the squads of 10 and the fact she only plays GS.

With 10 you need all the players to either be THE very best or flexible across more than 1 position.

All teams have incumbent GS (MJ, Nelson, Harten, Fowler, Potgeiter, Aiken, Wallace, Koenen) with existing game plans – in fact other Diamonds / Diamonds Dev squad members have shifted clubs in search of court time (Garbin, Dwan). For Cbass to be attractive to a club she would need to fit the plan & be better than the incumbent (or bring something else special – beyond the obvious experience & Diamonds ex- captain).

I don’t think I would have recruited her to replace any of these players (except maybe Potgeiter) and I would probably want a youngster on the bench who can play both GS & GA to gain experience rather than someone who has already made clear that they don’t like bench-sitting (understandably) and can only play as a holding shooter (albeit excellent at that)

Teams of 12 would be part of the answer – together with an viable ANL competition (& maybe a couple more teams) – but that all requires $$$$ which seem to be an issue.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by netballmum.
    Tully
    Participant

Maybe I’m the only one but I don’t find that signing overly exciting. Didn’t think EUB set the comp alight in her previous stints.

Cb98
    Participant

@gwalk11 yeah, I do think her injuries were a big issue with signing her. It would be incredibly frustrating because she’s still a very strong player, but last year in both the NZ comp and the Constellation Cup she didn’t look like a good player because of a lot of poor feeding.

@netballmum
    maybe a temporary solution could be allowing larger game day squads? so training partners could play a bit more frequently?

Excited to see Usuro-Brown playing at the Firebirds!

TB
    Participant

I feel Liz is really lacking empathy here. If this same issue (unlimited imports dominating the GS position) was around when she was playing……….she would be furious about it. And the main reason, cause it would have affected her best friend Cath Cox.

If this had of pushed Coxy out, Liz would have been very vocal about it. I mean she was pissed off when Sharelle McMahon made the 99 WC team, over Coxy. There’s no way she would have been happy for imports to take Coxy spot 🤷‍♂️

I do feel signing CBass would have been a big risk for any team, due to her injury. Had she have been injury free, Tbirds would be a stronger team with her in it IMO.

blondebomb
    Participant

Wasnt Cox “pushed” out to the Fever?

enozlas
    Participant

As harsh as Liz words were I don’t really disagree with them.
    CBass is far from the player she was, I think someone here even mentioned 2011 WC… that was 10 years ago! She is not the same player or anywhere near in fact.
    Injuries aside I don’t think she’s been at or near her best for a while and really don’t understand how so many are shocked she didn’t make it.

The diamonds are clearly in a rebuild phase, as well as netball as a whole seems to be moving away from the one-dimensional holding GS so I think CBass only strength is no longer relevant. It would also be a sideways if not backwards step in our development as a team.

Is she clearly hurt? Yes. Do I feel for her? Absolutely. But this is professional netball and sometimes athletes need to know when to bow out.

Her attitude whether you want to justify it or not over the last few years has been pretty poor. I recall her sitting on the sidelines reading a book when she was out injured instead of being involved in her team/the game. Angry at the coach or not you are a part of a team and a leader of the sport and that is unacceptable.
    As a coach I wouldn’t want to bring someone like that in to my side.

cookiesnjam
    Participant

Agreed with you 100% enozlas. And re Cox would get affected by unlimited imports rule- I actually think Cox wouldn’t have trouble finding a contract. With the super-shot, Cox would probably shine with it. She’ll probably shoot from there even before the 5-minute mark. She is a long bomb expert. And I know I’ll probably get a lot of flack for saying this but I prefer Cox compared to Bassett.

TB
    Participant

Yes, but the two point rule wasn’t in back then. But I do agree, she would have been still good enough to have maintained her position or at least play GA.

All I’m saying is, had this been happening back in Liz’s days. And it directly affected herself or her best friend, she would be doing what CBass is doing now. That’s the empathy part I feel she’s missing with her comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 979 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2022 SSN rumoured signings/speculation