2022 SSN ROUND 7

2022 SSN ROUND 72022-04-29T22:04:31+10:00

Forums Australia 2022 SSN ROUND 7

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Umpiring and commentary on the fever, tbirds game made for very cringe watching or listening too.

Reading about the umpires doing more international style umpiring, nope more like substandard and do they get reviewed at all? Or sit down and actually watch the match again and see how they faired? One at the top of the screen was very questionable.

And yes i know we shouldnt be pointing fingers at umpiees ya ya ya, but as an umpire myself its like what are they doing?

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Yeah listen I appreciate that umpiring isn’t easy and they’re adjusting to new challenges all the time but the fact that this has been such a topic of discussion should be a red flag. Yes we argue with umpire calls but the level to which people have picked up on bad or missed calls the past few weeks isn’t a good, it doesn’t reflect well on the league either. Hope they’re tightening up their review process and providing in depth feedback to these umpires.

Maryann
    Participant

I don’t know what happens in Australia with umpires after games but I imagine it would be similar to NZ where they sit down, watch, and analyse the game and their calls. I think there is back up support too. The issue being, the moment they allow the play to sit on the edge i.e. too much contact, holding, late ‘charges’ they begin to lose control and can not possibly watch everything which does lead to wrong calls. As we know, in all sporting competitions the players push it as far as they possibly can which several times this season has become pretty nasty (to watch) and dangerous.

Tully
    Participant

The umpiring was disappointing. Cosh had two basic unforced errors (replayed and stepping) that weren’t called. Had they been it may have lead to some hesitancy in the Fever play that TBirds defenders may have capitalised on.

Not sure what TBirds should do. Potgeiter should have stayed on. She was playing well. The feeders needed to give her the ball and that includes Horjus.

Will TBirds keep Dwan next year? Hasn’t really settled in this lineup. I’d keep Potgeiter (and promote Lucy Austin) and look to recruit an experienced midcourter.

Horjus and Nankivell have both plateaued a bit this year in my opinion. Are they too comfortable?

Tully
    Participant

Things are getting messy for Swifts.

They need to look at their defensive lineup next year. O’Shanassy is good but is only a GK option so to bring her on they have to split the Klau – Turner partnership and take Klau away from her strengths. Smith need to tidy up. Way too many contact penalties. Feel for her though, after last year with Vixens she goes to Swifts.

JR
    Participant

I cannot remember her exact title, but someone called Stacey from the SSN umpiring management group was on Centre Circle on Thursday evening. They were showing, over and over again, the Walsh – Fawns incidents, the Fawns – Bruce rebound and a few other clashes in the mid court. They were not pleasant to watch, especially Bruce wrenching the ball and Fawns’ arm…could have caused a bad injury there (yes I know Bruce was given possession, but she had Fawns’ outstretched arm as well as the ball).

Anyways, Stacey didn’t see any problems with what the players were doing or how the umpires were officiating. Did say maybe the umpire overseeing the end where Walsh and Fawns were going at it hammer and tongs should have said something like ‘that’s enough’ or ‘settle down’. There was talk of ‘playing in the spirit of the game’.

In the ANZP the umpires regularly give warnings before cautions. That’s too far the other way.

I don’t like the biffo in the SSN, but the commentators like Cox love it and said players were just playing to the point where they weren’t allowed and had to adjust if pulled up time and time again for going over that line. I am glad Bassett said something about possible injuries and that what is going on is a bad role model for younger players.

The comp does so much to protect the players’ health vis COVID, and concussion, and return to play after serious injuries like ACLs. Letting this biffo does seem incongruous given these OH+S measures.

enozlas
    Participant

Haven’t watched the swifts/firebirds game yet but to vent a little frustration at Kayo… this is the 3rd week in a row that if I can’t watch the games live, when I go to watch the replays if I chose to watch the 2nd game of the day first the stream starts in the dying seconds of the 1st game which absolutely ruins the outcome 😢 please adjust Kayo.

enozlas
    Participant

In terms of the Tbirds/Fever game I haven’t had a chance to read any other comments in this thread but my observation is this was actually a much cleaner game for the Tbirds (for their standard), the inability to score from turnovers is obviously still a massive problem, but (and I don’t like doing this) I’m going to put a big part of the ownership on the umpires today. Some pretty bad calls or missed calls at some crucial moments which killed momentum swings.

Obst coaching calls continue to haunt us as well. Potgeiter owned Courtney Bruce today and instead of letting any sort of momentum build in the attack end Obst can’t help but try and throw the Dwan/Horjus combo together during super shot period to bring the margin in quickly. It’s clearly not paying off. If Potgeiter stays on to keep the 1s ticking over and Horjus takes the 2’s when possible we’d have had a much greater chance of winning that game.

I had such high hopes for Dwan but unfortunately it just hasn’t worked. I also think when that change up is made it entirely changes how our midcourt approach the game, they become even more erratic and determined to move the ball at speed and don’t have the trust to wait for the option to open up. So many times a goalie was free on the 3rd second but the middies had turned to reset. It just results in more turnover. Dwan is too early on her leads and comes out of the circle far too much and it just gets messy and overcrowded.

Most of the time the hard part about watching the Tbirds games is that we really are our own worst enemies. So much potential in that line up but we really seem to loose the games ourselves instead of forcing the opposition to step up and win it from us.

NB12
    Participant

I haven’t seen those two umpires in SSN before. Can anyone confirm if they have umpired other games? If not, putting two rookies together is inexcusable – particularly when borders are open. I think they kept relatively good control of the game in terms of authority, but they missed so many basic errors due to poor positioning.

NB12
    Participant

Also, the games broadcast from Adelaide seem to have an issue where you can’t hear what is happening on court. Has anyone else noticed this?

It is almost like the commentators aren’t even in the stadium?

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

I’m going to look at it from a different angle and say the replays and dropped balls were hideously apparent in both the firebirds swifts and fever Adelaide game. Is there something up with the ball? Watch them both again and tell me you think that was a normal amount of Handling errors. I saw players with very capable hands on a regular day just spill it over and over. Perhaps a special release ball?

The umpires missed a few things in my opinion but I disagree with the fact it ran in fever’s favour. Fowler and Cosh got unfortunate offensive contacts against them. In one instance there wasn’t a contact, perhaps an obstruction if anything? The strange calls went both ways, for example the quick held ball calls…

Ian Harkin

JR, that was former top umpire Stacey Campton, and she is the High Performance Umpiring Coach.

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

Koenan out for lightning yikes

Ian Harkin

Cara Koenen is out for Lightning! :negative:

Annika Lee-Jones comes into the squad to replace her. :scratch:

Tully
    Participant

Lee-Jones is a shooter again. Was a shooter as a junior then moved to GK but has been playing GS in the Sapphire Series.

Not sure why Lawrie wasn’t promoted to the 10 though. Could be injured / covid as well though.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2022 SSN ROUND 7