2022 SSN ROUND 8

2022 SSN ROUND 82022-05-06T23:39:46+10:00

Forums Australia 2022 SSN ROUND 8

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • Author

The SSN ladder is crazy! SO even. There are still 6 rounds to go, but the last-place team has already got more wins than any previous last-place team in the competition’s history.

vanhelsing
    Participant

Great win from both Fever and Swifts today. Must admit I’m getting pretty over the whole “Fever are only good cos of Jhaniele” thing – certainly a huge part but the defence and mid court is fantastic, albeit not the best showing today.

That same “only good cos of one player” rhetoric can also be applied to the Swifts (despite their good win today) – apparent they’ve been average since losing Wallace.

JR
    Participant

Watching Pivot I was trying to get a sense of what was the thinking, especially Sargeant (ofcourse) about players in, and not in, the Diamonds squad eg
    – Proud (been in team of the week recently and will be again this week)
    – Parmenter (think it was Sargeant who said it was a big ask being put into the unfamiliar position of C)
    – Moloney (they were effusive about her being moved to WD and spent time on the video wall analysis on how the Vixens got between F’Birds players and the circle line when Moloney moved to WD),
    – Koenen (Sargeant was very explicit that Koenen needs more versatility)

They did talk about Bruce, Wood and JLP too, but not everyone…

TB
    Participant

@vanhelsing take JFR out of Fever, and they’d be sitting on the bottom of the ladder. Their whole game revolves around her, and so it should.

In saying that, I think every team in the SSN would suffer if they lost their starting GS. Last year Vixens lost everything when they lost their WA 🤷‍♂️
    Swifts arent doing too bad without Wallace. They could cause a few upsets, which is pretty dangerous considering how tight the ladder is.

netballgirl
    Participant

Agreed, to that statement all teams have a player that is the sparkle to their lineup. Expect for Collingwood? I feel they’d be good no matter who was out?

Lightning- Wood
    Fever- Fowler
    Firebirds- Bueta
    Swift’s- Wallace/ Housby
    Thunderbird- Sterling
    Magpies- ?
    Vixens- Watson
    Giants- Harten

miaomiao22
    Participant

the fever are a great team with good players all around but i agree that if they had lost fowler they would probably be sitting at the bottom of the table. the same way the swifts are a great team but were at the bottom as of last week.

re vixens as much as people always talk about them going from first to last due to liz watson being out it was also probably due to thwaites and philip retiring

vanhelsing
    Participant

Agree – just think it’s weird Fever get called out for it so often. I’m not their biggest fan, but I think if they lost Bruce they’d struggle significantly too.

People forget that Fever had JF in 2019 and didn’t go well – and everyone blamed that on being a result of getting rid of Medhurst. Can’t have the cake and eat it.

If the comment of Fever is only good because of Fowler then why aren’t Jamaica number one in the world?

Just an observation.

Jase
    Participant

Reflections on the Fever/Magpies game.
    – No idea why there is critcism of the commentary team – they were excellent and that was so much better than having Cath Cox shouting for 60 minutes and being not at all subtle in her distaste of Courtney Bruce
    – The depth of talent in the Wing Attack position in Australia is ridiculously good. The display put on by Alice Teague-Neeld and Kelsey Browne, two players not currently in the Diamonds squad, was simply superb. Not necessarily saying they should be in the Diamonds squad (as I highly rate all the mid-courters in the squad) but gee if there was an injury either of those two could comfortably fill the void.
    – Jhanielle Fowler is so much more than just height and strength – her footwork and bodywork to get position under the post is virtually unrivalled
    – Magpies will push for finals. Not sure Fever could have played much better today and it took them 55 minutes to grind down the Magpies. If Firebirds or Giants slip-up over the back 6 rounds, Magpies would be my pick of the current bottom 4 to take their spot.

Jase
    Participant

@vanhelsing
    I get what you’re saying but I also get the pushback. Whilst I agree Fever’s defence is first class and mid-court is strong, I just feel like in a seriously competitive, even competition no team can lose a marque player and expect to be in finals contention. In 2020 the Vixens won the premiership, in 2021 the Vixens finished bottom with no Liz Watson. In 2021 the Swifts won the premiership, in 2022 the Swifts are highly unlikely to make finals with no Sam Wallace. If Fever were to lose Fowler this year than I would be very confident they immediately drop to a bottom 4 level squad.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jase.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jase.
    al_ex
    Participant

It’s so wild to me that Maddy Proud isn’t even in the Diamonds squad let alone in the 12. The only midcourter who I would consistently rate ahead of her is Watson. Moloney has definitely built up her WD play the last few weeks, but it makes me nervous that if Watson is out of form or unavailable, our attacking midcourt in a CWG final could be Hadley/Moloney. I think even Wood/Hadley would be a better combination across that midcourt.

The Giants really need to start using Letherbarrow more. Harten has been so expensive with turnovers the last few years and Dwyer has had some off games this season. They need to give Matisse more opportunity to develop a genuine Plan B.

TB
    Participant

@vanhelsing from memory Fever has made play offs ever since JFR came into the team (2018).
    Let’s compare to 2017 when they didn’t have her, but still had Medhurst, Bruce, Anstiss, Simmons etc. They were close to the bottom (or at the bottom). JFR took them to the finals the following year. So YES this Fever team heavily relies on her.

There’s only so much she can do for Jamaica. They don’t have the calibre of players like Aus, NZ and England (in terms of midcourters and GAs). Thought they have some AMAZING defenders, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they can do at CWGs.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by TB.
    vanhelsing
    Participant

100% agree! All I’m saying is it’s rough Fever cop it so much, when Swifts are clearly showing they rely on Wallace just as much.

Anyways interesting season at least!

vanhelsing
    Participant

Incorrect. Fever missed in 2019 after they let Nat go.

Agreed, only so much one player can do, hence why it’s frustrating that people say WCF are only good because of Fowler.

She’s a huge part of their team, absolutely the main focal point (and why wouldn’t it be by the way haha), but for people to say she’s the only reason theyre good is simply untrue.

I’m not Fever’s biggest fan, let’s set that straight, but it’s just annoying to see it so constantly.

TB
    Participant

@vanhelsing oh yep, I get what your saying! Definitely some great players in there, they do have a Diamonds defence.

Though if we are comparing to the Swifts, Fever IMO would be worse off.

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

If fowler misses a game or two due to covid I’d love to see Glasgow out there in Gs. She used to do this so well with Maria in front of her. Problem is, there’s no Maria… would you put Cosh in front of Glasgow in this event?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2022 SSN ROUND 8