2022 SSN ROUND 8

2022 SSN ROUND 82022-05-06T23:39:46+10:00

Forums Australia 2022 SSN ROUND 8

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Vixens firebirds: Damn I’m not a huge Moloney fan normally but boy she brought it home in the WD position… Kumwenda really worked out EUB too. Eboni also did three -3!- laaazy taps of a rebound straight out of bounds. Definitely not saying I could do it better in my armchair position- I couldn’t- but a defender at this level shouldn’t be facing a rebound that half-heartedly. That’s three balls that should have gone down the court for further firebirds goals (one would hope). I thought Gabi Simpson had another excellent game.

Lightning Thunderbirds: I reckon Horjus must practise shooting a LOT under Sterlings lean and jump defence. Nothing phases her. With her height and shooting style she should miss more through intimidation or blocks but…. she doesn’t. I have such admiration for the work she must have put in under her home defenders. Love Tayla Williams- when will she get a start?
    Does anyone know the thought process for Garrett/Wilson having half games. Is it because they’re both good? Both struggling? Other rotations across SSN I sort of see why they happen or might happen but I can’t quite work out what the long term plan is there?

mcleod
    Participant

Wood 15/30 goodness.

enozlas
    Participant

@montyandpoppy I think the Garrett/Wilson switches are actually because both players fade in and out of games a bit.. both are young and still developing so I think they’re both a little ways off consistent 60 minute performances.
    Though I don’t think Obst has made those switches well the last few weeks, she seemed to get it right last night.

If you think back to Sterling’s first few years she used to have really big quiet patches within games we’re she’d make minimal impact but now she’s just a beast for the full 60 minutes.

I think in time it’ll be Wilson’s starting spot and hers to lose but for now she’s not consistent enough to stay out there the whole game.

JR
    Participant

Re Moloney and coaching decision to put her in WD.

Simone has been moving Weston out to WD when the opposition’s WA has been a problem for Vixens. But putting Mannix in GD against Bueta would not have been a great idea and Wallam had the better of Lewis.

I’ve been thinking, and saying that moving Moloney back there and putting Mundy on into C or WA would be a good option, I think Moloney is a better WD than C. I also think playing WD for the Vixens will give her recent top level experience in two positions and give her a bonus over JLP…she’s also gone from playing WD to C, but she doesn’t play WD for the Giants.

JR
    Participant

Does anyone know where I can watch the interview with Georgie Horjus that the commentators mentioned yesterday.

I did a search and found a lovely photo of her playing at around 10 years old and interviews from 2020 ad 2021, but cannot post links to Scoop.

enozlas
    Participant

@JR it’s on the Tbirds Instagram page

Tully
    Participant

Credit has to go to Di Honey for the midcourt change. Not persisting with what wasn’t working and having the courage to make a change and back it in.

Hopefully it gives McKinnis confidence to use that midcourt. It won’t work every game but it was brilliant last night and it will work against a lot of teams.

Thanks for those stats Waylay. I knew Moloney shut Dunkley down but those stats are massive. I agree with comments that it will help Moloney’s Diamonds chances. We all know she is a great WD but wonderful she got the chance to show it. Expect they’ll use this midcourt against Magpies next time and Lightning as they have speedy WAs who Moloney matches up better against. Also allows them to use Eddy in GD which would work well against TBirds (Horjus or Dwan) or Sinclair or even Wood so Weston can go back against Koenen.

Tully
    Participant

Tayla Williams needs to start at C for TBirds with Nankivell at WA. Williams is outstanding. McDonald does appear to be quite the favourite though.

Potgeiter was great last night and the feeders let the ball go to her.

Long term I think the TBirds future is Nankivell WD Williams C Horjus WA Dwan GA and Austin GS. But it will take a couple of years to transition to that. I think they have enough versatility and midcourt coverage to allow them to sign all of Dwan, Horjus, Austin and Potgeiter next year. Dwan can cover WA as well if needed. Petty and Wilson can cover WD (Williams can play there but needs to be left in C). Hopefully for their sake they can retain Orr as a TP who they can promote to the 10 if required.

JR
    Participant

Thanks enozlas.

schmeetle
    Participant

Is Wood’s position in the Diamonds 12 under threat? With Dwyer and Austin improving with each game, Dwyer’s percentages high and Austin having a good defensive touch?

JR
    Participant

Interesting question – Wood wasn’t great yesterday. But the T’Birds’ defence were top notch. Wood had two opponents so lots of fresh legs.

netballgirl
    Participant

They’d be silly to get rid of Potgieter, especially for a rookie with no SSN experience. I’m thinking they’d get rid of either McDonald or Dawn for Austin.
    Though com games are coming up. Let’s see which international players stand up.
    I’m thinking Cholok Ugandan 6ft7 GS may get a call up or even Peace? They did try and recruit her but lightning snuck in and picked her up. Both having fabulous seasons in the Vitality.

FYI, Potgiter can play GA well, I’ve seen her do it for SA with Venter as GS

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

Yes I can see that that is the vibe that’s being put out.
    But…
    Wilson’s reading of the play and attacking of the ball wherever it may be is incredible. If she were to play out a few games and get a feel for playing full games. Who’s to say she wouldn’t be incredible as a sixty minute player in just a few full matches?

Garrett is a great tagging player who can read play well as well. Who’s to say that she wouldn’t grow in to a sixty minute player if she were left on.

It just seems like they’re treated as half players regardless of how well they are playing!

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2022 SSN ROUND 8