2023 ANZP ROUND 5

2023 ANZP ROUND 52023-03-30T22:44:43+10:00
Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Participant

With what’s happening to Mvula, I doubt the Pulse are going to be able to attract imports if they need them in future seasons. What an utter waste of time for the girl coming over here to sit on the bench. I thought in the few times she’s been on, she’s looked pretty solid but you’d never be able to get your game going in such short stints on the court. You’d have to wonder how long Mason is going to stay at the Pulse too.

Don’t agree that Metuarau lacks fitness. Her shots pretty steady as we see in the stats.

Umpiring was awful in that game. Sokolich Beatson and Karaka literally took out their players on a couple of instances and there was no caution whatsoever. Then Jury was getting pinged down the other end for everything under the sun, even when she’d taken a clean intercept.

Kwkiwi
      Participant

Agree with you @maryann, that’s kinda weird have Rore in there like a ‘hired gun’. Not sure if that adds any value to the league or the Pulse team. Maybe Pulse could release Mvula to the pool of players that are available to other teams so the Steel can use her as shooter since she seems to be surplus to requirements in McCausland Durie’s mind.

I’m sure Mvula would improve the Steel shooting stats and I’m sure she’d appreciate some decent court time. Would make the league super interesting if the Steel were in the mix too.

Netballfan1
        Participant

As someone else commented Metuarau’s attempts absolutely nose dived between the first and second halves. Yes she maintained accuracy, but put up a lot less shots. She also seemed to go down with cramp at one point. She was very clearly lacking fitness at Fast5 last year too

Maryann
          Participant

@Ian – agree about the same length of time between games however thats not going to happen with the number of teams in the comp. However Mystics had to travel (fly) to both games whereas Pulse was home for both so extra day as rest day wasn’t exactly that.

Metuarau is definitely not fit enough to play out full games – she was absolutely charged in the first half yesterday which I suspect was, in part, due to the final few minutes of their loss the day before. Less social life, more attention to fitness, may help with that but she is young still and now is the time of her life where she needs to decide what is more important.

al_ex
            Participant

Mvula can be such a dominant player when she’s at her best, but Pulse have not given her the opportunity. I understand the desire to develop Walmsley, but you wonder why they went to all the effort to recruit Mvula. She could be so much better utilised at other ANZP or even SSN teams. I think if they had used her more effectively they’d also be sitting much higher up the ladder.

mcleod
              Participant

Just looking at the draw, the Stars have such a easy time of it. 8 games at home + 2 against the Mystics also in Auckland. The are also the only team that doesn’t have to play 2 games in 2 days, yet the Tactix have to do it twice.
                The only have to fly to 3 of their games.

Netballfan1
                Participant

It must be to do with the availability of Bruce Pullman arena surely?

WeWood
                  Participant

@Maryann agree with you re Stythe having hops. Some of her jumps on the shot was very Harrison-like.

I have been waiting for a defender to have a crack at Walmsley’s shot as it’s a very low release.

If you’re Winikerei you would be locking Stythe into a multi-year contract pretty quick smart wouldn’t you?

Know we have the rest of the ANZP season and NWC to get through, but am anticipating a few retirements of the Ferns/senior players post Cape Town, so Stythe might be destined for higher honours sooner rather than later.

TB
                    Participant

This was a great game to watch. Nweke v Jury was entertaining on its own.
                      I agree with everyone’s comments, Stythe will be a future Fern. It was a good move to put her back to GK. Commentators said that she would have played on Walmsley a lot over the years. I would be interested to see how she would go against a more experienced shooter like Wilson, Dunn or even Mes.

Mvula would be a stronger option if she got court time. However I thought in the last quarter she was doing a lot of driving out of the circle, which IMO stuffed up Metuarau’s timing. Before that last quarter, Metuarau was receiving every second ball. She was the play maker down that attack end.
                      I felt by the time Walmsley was brought back on, Karaka had Metuarau totally covered.

Ione played well, but I thought Rore’s arms over the feed could have done more damage. Like the commentators said Jury had it all over Nweke in the first half. Once Toeava started getting her eye in, the ball was coming in easier.

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Go to Top