2023 ANZP ROUND 7

2023 ANZP ROUND 72023-04-14T15:51:48+10:00
Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Winders has been reckless for the last few years. Last year she was getting cautioned nearly every game. She really needs to clean up her game

mcleod
      Participant

Steel have won plenty of titles over the years, the year they decided to buy Lenize from the Magic, and leave Jen O’Connell sitting on the bench, annoyed many people and still does
        This is the 1st time they are having a bad ANZ, do I feel sorry for them?, nope not at all.
        As a Tactix person I’ve had to endure years or terrible losses, Pulse were the same in the old ANZ as well.

Maryann
        Participant

Most teams have had their day as far as bad seasons go but they have gone out a recruited wisely, particularly if it’s been a couple of seasons of poor results. @McLeod you’re an amazing Tactix supporter. I also love the Tactix and remember the devastating losses they have had, particularly around the years of the earthquakes with no one wanting to go down there, constant travel for games due to no venues and even now no dedicated netball courts.
          NNZ spend more money on one team – I hope not. Given that failed Jamaica series last year caused a $400K loss means they have had to tighten their spending. No one team should be given an advantage, financially or import wise, over another.

Baller
          Participant

Im making a big assumption, despite the Steel having an ‘average’ season I’m still expecting Heffernan to be selected for the SF.

The Tactix should be second on the points tables with their game in hand. Still an incredibly tight table which I’m enjoying.

minkie
            Participant

Agree with everything you said McLeod.
              The Steel players to me, looked gutted and who wouldn’t. But other clubs have had this year in year out. Look at Tactix (damn them lol) there time us shinning now. Magic? Not quite, and they didn’t last year either. But that’s life. Big NO to more imports, look after your own local girls. Let’s face it, if Mystics didn’t have Grace, would they be doing so well? Tactic are lucky, they’ve Jane/Karin one end and Dunn the other. Every club has there seasons without having to pull out the cheque book.

minkie
              Participant

Agree 100% Maryann
                That’s shocking those figures for the Jamaica games, I hadn’t realised. Talking of losses, and without it turning into us and them. Why the heck are Aus in so much trouble financially when little one NZ while maybe not flush is surviving? Being splashed repeatedly here on social media, bit if a worry with netball in general.

TB
                Participant

If Fisher didn’t get injured (absolutely gutted for her), we would have had ALL six teams competitive for the top 3.

If Stars, Mystics and Tactix lost their starting GS they would all suffer too. Magic and Pulse not so much. Mvula and Rowland would be competitive enough to help their teams.

As bad as this is for Steel, it could possibly help set them up for the next few years. This season would have given some of their shooters some much needed experience.
                  Magic last year, were forced to use Rowland. She got some quality court time. If she is needed this year, whether it be due to injury or whatever, she has that experience behind her. Which IMO makes a huge a difference.

Nesian
                  Participant

@Kwkiwi There is no way the Steel deserve an extra $50k to try and secure some new talent. The salary cap is there for a reason. How teams utilise that money is up to them. I do feel like the former CEO may have dug a hole for the current one with some of her player choices though.

The Steel just need a bit of a player overhaul at this stage. Fisher loves it down here so perhaps she will stay for a few more years. Kate Heffernan is a must keep but I feel the defensive end needs some new talent and I’d like to see a tall defender down there. As much as Burley tries, she can only do so much against the taller shooters and to be fair she doesn’t really seem to bother any of the taller shooters, sure she will get the odd ball here and there but apart from that a highlight here and there doesn’t really cut it. Stythe offers a bit of height and I imagine would be relatively cheap to lure down here. Put her under THSR’s tutelage (as a coach) and she could be amazing.

I do know there are players that have benefactors topping up their ANZ salary and that’s the reason they stay with a certain franchise. It just requires a bit of networking by the CEO to get these benefactors opening their wallets.

WeWood
                    Participant

@Nesian I fully expect THRSR to go straight into an assistant coaching role with the Steel once her playing days are over and being a natural successor to Bloxham when she eventually moves on.

I doubt know if Stythe will be on the move from the Mystics with Fitzpatrick retiring at the end of this season.

A tall defender looking for court time in 2024 could be Kate Lloyd at the Tactix. She’s hemmed in behind the Burger and Watson pairing.

Nesian do you know if Taneisha Fifita is coming back to netball or is she still on her LDS mission?

Kwkiwi
                      Participant

@nesian points taken. If the Steel have the same amount of funding available to them as other franchises then clearly money is not the issue, it’s sub par recruiting. Maybe it would take more $$ to get players to move south. Also if there are arrangements being made outside of the salary cap to supplement player packages then that would make it harder to entice top players away from the main centres. I doubt Stythe would move south, she is in the verge of getting a lot of court time in her home town. Will be interesting to see who the Steel field next season. People on here seem to think it’s a one off, bad year for them.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Kwkiwi.
                        Nesian
                        Participant

@Kwkiwi Stythe would be on the lowest tier at the Mystics and with the players they have I don’t see her moving up tiers very much if at all. If THSR retires they will have quite a bit of cash to splash around so it might be worth a shot. Lloyd at the Tactix might be another one to look at, under THSR’s tutelage I think she could be quite good. It will all depend on who they can attract next season as to whether this is a one off or a sign of things to come for the next few seasons.

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Go to Top