2023 QUAD SERIES (Jan) – SA/Aus/NZ/Eng

2023 QUAD SERIES (Jan) – SA/Aus/NZ/Eng2022-12-12T20:04:57+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 264 total)
  • Author

thunder123
            Participant

With a lot of talk about Jess Thirlby not up to it. Who’s available for England to coach??
              Everyone talks about Greenway, but she is involved with Scotland

thunder123
              Participant

I’m usually a massive Pitman fan but she was continually in no man’s land vs NZ. Is that coaching structure, good defensive or pitman being found out.
                I also feel England don’t give the first option when pitman may be available.

capsule
                Participant

I saw a lot of comments about missing Hinchliffe’s debut, which confused me because I thought I saw it live last night. I doubted myself because of how tired I was, but watching the replay I definitely remember Madi Browne announcing her as Diamond #190 when she came on court. I wonder if the Foxtel stream was slightly better than Kayo?

The last quarter for Australia was messy, but it was a nice preview of the future for the Diamonds. I hope later in the year there’s an opportunity for Hinchliffe and Aryang to play in the circle together.

That being said, I’m not too sure what Aryang’s role is in this Diamonds side. Seems like when Weston is back, she’ll be the third choice GD behind Weston and Bruce, and the third choice WD behind Brazill and JLP/Moloney. I don’t think she’s been providing the kind of impact expected of her in a while. (I’m not that defensively minded though, so maybe I’m missing all of the good work she’s been doing off the ball.)

I had thought they’d played Koenen against NZ and Garbin against England with the intention of switching things around for the final, knowing Koenen played well in the Roses series and Garbin in the Con Cup, but I would like to see Koenen start. I still think Garbin plays best as an impact player. Very fascinated to see who matches up better to Jane Watson if she plays GK!

Just checking with Kayo now and it’s on there. Tara Hinchliffe comes on with just under 3 minutes left in the 2nd Q.

JR
                    Participant

I watched the games on Foxtel – recorded them overnight and watched one before work this morning and the second after work. I saw Hinchliffe come on.

But the recording for the Aus-RSA missed the first half of the second game. There was also a lot of breaking up and I gave up watching it after 3/4 time.

ENG:
                              GS Cardwell
                              GA Housby
                              WA Metcalf
                              C Clarke
                              WD Guscoth
                              GD Williams
                              GK Mentor

SA:
                              GS Potgieter
                              GA Taljaard
                              WA Griesel
                              C Msomi
                              WD Chawane
                              GD Pretorius
                              GK Maweni

Andrew Kennedy
                              Participant

Is anyone else awake to watch these tonight, given it’s a public holiday in Australia tomorrow? I am just putting my nachos in the oven! I’m in it for the next 3.5 hours, for better or for worse.

Interesting that Fadoju is on the bench BUT remember when Firebirds used to have McMenniman on the bench and decide whether to put her on to impact WD or GD? That’s an effective tactic, as long as Guscoth and Williams do their jobs in intimidating and wearing down the South Africans. You’d have to think though that Williams will be the one going off, as you want Guscoth and Mentor to stay out there if they can.

As for the SA lineup, I think that Reyneke is the best WD BUT again it is good to use her as an impact player for now. I think if Taljaard and Griesel can play their own game (Taljaard creative and elusive, Griesel slower but using the height and strength), then they can win.

I have enjoyed seeing Cardwell SMILE so much in this series! She went from looking either calm, or blank, or cranky, to someone enjoying her sport.

I think England will win, but I want SA to win.

Andrew Kennedy
                                Participant

After SA did so well to start it was looking bad at 10-4 to England, but SA came back and it’s 11-8 to Eng. Housby and Mentor are doing so well – Housby the quick footwork and hands and setting up the attack, Mentor making Potgieter SO uncomfortable in finding space, with very awkward feeds. Somehow, Potgieter is pulling them in.

Interesting that Griesel is alone quite a lot. Like I said in the previous post, she plays slower, and that’s an advantage. The English players out the front (C, WD, GD) are so keen they’re chasing the ball, and the SA players, if they play a bit slower and use their brains eg by holding space using their body, find success.

SA went ahead 12-11 with a minute to go. Housby another really good drive. SA fails to convert with a solid 30 seconds, even though the shot was there for Taljaard, so it’s 12-all at quarter time.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 264 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top