2023 SSN ROUND 10

2023 SSN ROUND 102023-05-20T12:10:26+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

1/2 time: Fever 50-30

A dominant display here. Fever are on target to score a century??? Sasha Glasgow already has 7 super shots and it’s only half time. Surely she will break the record if she stays on court. For Firebirds, Kim Rav is doing everything she can

105 goals (points) in under 40 minutes of netball so far. This Q is more even, but Fever still leads by 21.

3/4 time: Fever 71-48

Firebirds more competitive in that Q, but it’s still a big margin. The main interest in this last Q is Sasha Glasgow needs just one super shot to break the record of 10 held by 6 different shooters.

Verity Simmons has rolled her ankle, and come off. Hopefully it’s not too serious.

Meanwhile, there it is. The most super shots in one game… Sasha Glasgow.

Incredible. Not sure what to say after that.

Full time: Fever 97-63

If you score 63, you wouldn’t think you’d lose by 34, but there you go. What a performance. And no surprise that the POTM is Sasha Glasgow. 14 super shots and the highest NNP score of 164!

StatsNerd21
                Participant

So many incredible performances from GAs this week- Dwyer, Glasgow, Housby, Austin, Wood. GKs too- Mannix, Mentor, Bruce, Klau, and as usual Sterling. Good to see players performing well even in losing sides.

Netballcrazy1
                  Participant

Glasgow also had 0 turnovers tonight!

al_ex
                      Participant

Such a dominant win for the Swifts. They looked so relaxed and just completely tore it up in attack. Great to see Fawns play well across GA and GS, I think she’s gained composure with the extra experience and some time on the bench. Hadley had her best game in ages, she always plays well in the Heritage game. Also great to see her at C, I think the attack works better when she’s there. It’s also better for the Diamonds really. So many good attacking midcourters coming through, even Gorman-Brown had a strong stint.

Marinkovich is really in trouble when it comes to that fourth shooting spot. Garbin and Wallam have fallen away as the season has progressed, and those players that are really standing up (Dwyer and Glasgow come to mind) don’t have GS experience at international level. I guess you don’t take the risk with 3 GAs (even if they can both play GS quite well), but Koenen will really need to fire if Australia is going to win Gold.

Garbin should look to go to NZL if she can’t find a club where she can play GS. She played GA well at the Swifts but she was surrounded by internationals.

Morts
                        Participant

Rogue opinion here, but I almost think the diamonds should take both Hadley and Proud to the World Cup. Watson will be there by default, and probably should be. But I’m thinking a 2011 style team, where they had NVB as default centre, and 2 WAs in Green and Pitman, with Green obviously able to cover C. And then a defence end with multiple WD slides.

This would probably need Turner as the 4th defender over Aryang, so probably won’t happen. But I just think the form of the Swifts midcourt warrants it. And playing Proud and Hadley together in round games to rest Watson would certainly be a bonus.

Also allows you to pick a dedicated WD – ie Parmy! Price would be unlucky to miss out. But as a centre, there are better options. SO much strength in the Aussie midcourt. Now just to find a GS…

al_ex
                          Participant

I’ve felt that Proud has been clearly the second best midcourter in Australia (after Watson) the past few years, often outshining her domestically. I thought she was good in the England series as well to be honest but unfortunately got that concussion when she was finally given an opportunity. I doubt Marinkovich would take the risk on a new combination going into a NWC, especially now that Price has gone up a few levels. Hopefully Proud is prioritised for the next cycle though (and given the opportunity to build a combination with Watson), because I think she really is the best attacking C we have. I would definitely be taking her as the reserve to NWC; if Watson was to go down she’s the only midcourter with the attacking volume to replace her.

Tully
                            Participant

I’d take Hadley, Price, Watson and Parmenter as my midcourt with Proud as the reserve. I have a feeling they may take a more defensive midcourt reserve given the strength of the GAs to cover WA is probably stronger than that of the GDs to play WD. However, Price can obviously cover WD and Proud played it quite a bit when she was younger whilst hasn’t at SSN I view her as one of very few genuine three position midcourters (along with Hadley).

Garbin should move to Vixens. It ultimately depends on the state of Samason’s knees as to whether a spot opens up but with MJ being 34 in September she is getting closer to retirement. Garbin would probably need to be the swing player for 1-2 years like she was at Swifts before taking over the GS bib. Kumwenda is also capable of coming out of the circle a lot more than Nelson which would allow Garbin to drop into the circle and hold strongly so in the times she did need to cover GA it’d work a lot better than it is at Magpies.

As for the fourth shooting spot in the Diamonds. I’d select Glasgow but as she isn’t in the squad that is unlikely to happen. She played GS at WYC with Austin and in her TBirds days. I expect they will go with Garbin and hope that the different environment and on court structures brings her confidence back. I think Wallam is going okay. The FBs midcourt has been feeding her atrociously the last few games and neither GA had interest in shooting against Fever which meant constant double teaming of Wallam (in Diamonds both Wood or Austin would draw defenders off Wallam). They need to hit the recruitment of a WA next season. Dunkley has been left a bit exposed without Bueta. If Collingwood folds they should target Browne.

sarahk90
                              Participant

What’s the likelihood of additions to the squad in the next few weeks? With Garbin and Wallam probably underperforming a bit, surely they’ve got to be thinking why not with Glasgow? Although she does only play GA in SSN despite usually being a GS (I think) so perhaps not

D-fencr
                                Participant

Despite how well they are playing at Fever, I can’t see either Glasgow or ATN being picked for the Diamonds sight unseen for a World Cup. Both because they haven’t played internationally before, and also because playing with and feeding Fowler is wildly different than what they’d have to do for the Diamonds. I think both should get an opportunity, but I don’t think this is the time the selectors will want to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top