2023 SSN ROUND 7

2023 SSN ROUND 72023-04-28T20:49:18+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author

3/4 time: Tbirds 39-31

Magpies are really rattling the Tbirds attack. Geva Mentor is doing absolutely everything she can out there. In that Q alone she had 3 gains and 5 deflections. They’re just not capitalising at the other end. That Q was 10-10.

The lead was cut back to 5, Magpies looking to make it 4, but of course it’s Sterling who comes up with the intercept to snuff it out and the margin is back to 7.

This is like a battle between two of the best defenders we’ve seen, Mentor at one end, Sterling at the other.

Tbirds lead 44-38 halfway through the last Q.

JR
          Participant

T’Birds 7 up with 3.40 to go….

The lead is 7 with 3 1/2 minutes left. You can’t doubt Magpies’ fight in this game. After that poor first Q, they’ve gone goal for goal with the Tbirds for the rest of the game.

Full time: Tbirds 52-47

Thunderbirds win to consolidate their second place on the ladder, but Magpies really made them work hard for it.

Shamera Sterling is POTM but incredibly, she actually had less gains than the champion defender at the other end!

It was a bit of a scrappy game, defence right on top, but sometimes those matches create a lot of interest. After that poor start, Collingwood really took it to Thunderbirds, but they dug deep and found enough to win despite all the mayhem going on.

D-fencr
                Participant

I thought Geva was best on court. Her and Ward really made it hard for the Tbirds in attack, they outmuscled them and got in their heads. Too many penalties though.

Once upon a time the Tbirds would have dropped their heads when the Magpies came back, and would probably have ended up losing a game like that. It’s really nice to see them able to grind it out.

JR
                  Participant

Great photo of Shamera, Latanya, Shimona and Jodi-Ann.

Funny that the T’Birds’ defenders’ first names all finish with the letter ‘a’.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by JR.
                    D-fencr
                    Participant

Haha. Good pick up. Not just the defenders too… Shamera, Matilda, Latanya, Tayla/Hannah, Tippah – then you get stuck at Georgie/Eleanor/Maisie.

JR
                      Participant

Oh that’s really funny.

StatsNerd21
                        Participant

Almost similar for Fever defenders with the letter Y! Courtney, Sunday, Kimberley (and previously Stacey)… and then Rudi 😂
                          Good to hear Jo doesn’t want to retire domestically just yet!

D-fencr
                          Participant

Also fun stat, Sterling had 0 contacts that game.

JR
                            Participant

Weston, Watson and Austin..and Samason too…..

netballgirl
                              Participant

What a scrappy game! There was no smooth plays from either end. It’s evident the tbirds need to start with Williams! Petty is not it.
                                I feel bad for Garbin, the negativity on social media from fans and officials has must’ve hurt her confidence. I do believe she’ll still get picked for world cup.

montyb
                                Participant

Random observation – has anyone else noticed how much Nicole Richardson’s ‘tone’ has changed during tactical time outs? the last few rounds she’s going out of her way to praise efforts from players (even when perhaps not deserved). I personally enjoyed her matter a fact comments at the start fo the season – i feel like the morale in the camp must have dropped and she’s trying to nurture them….not a bad thing, just interesting to see the shift.

Kelsey Browne is such a weapon with her cuts and drives to the top of the circle, but instead it felt like they kept trying to find her over the arms of Wilson. I don’t think they played her her strengths as much as they should have.

I found myself marvelling during the game that the thunderbirds and fever both have very solid attacking midcourts, but certainly not ‘superstars’ based on reputation. Who would have thought the two top of the table teams would have no national squad members in the C,WA,GA positions?! Its quite amazing just how impressive Williams/Petty/Horjus/Dwan/Simmons/Teague-Neld/Glasglow have been!

Sure previously results, experience, and combos count, but it feels like the diamonds squad has been picked far more on past form than present form.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top