2023 SSN ROUND 9

2023 SSN ROUND 92023-05-12T22:03:30+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
      Tully
      Participant

As for the top 4, I suppose the 4 are quite set but they really could finish in any order.

Swifts more than most need to keeping winning as they have the worst percentage. I like the defensive rotations they are now using. But do wonder where it leaves Smoth going forward?

Is Dwan’s injury serious? If so can they win the comp without her? I’m not sure. Cardwell is not the same player in GA and moving Horjus there significantly weakens their midcourt. Weston had her best game of the year today so if Cardwell plays GA next week it may reveal a lot about what TBirds have to do if they do lose Dwan.

Fever remain favourites to me. Sure they lost last night but can’t help but feel if their own super shot queen was there they would have got home. They’ll be fine.

D-fencr
        Participant

Letherbarrow has such a lovely shot. Barely ever touches the ring. You’d think she needs to be in a team where she could work towards being a starting shooter. I get the sense that even if Harten retired that may not happen at Giants.

Price is having a great year despite the Giants not going well. Really hope she gets picked in the World Cup team.

D-fencr
          Participant

I agree Tully. Fever still heads and shoulders favourites above everyone else.

Thunderbirds could do it if they minimise turnovers and if Dwan and Wilson aren’t injured. But trouble is you don’t know what sort of Thunderbirds will turn up – the ones that win ball and treasure possession, or the ones who play ping pong netball and don’t convert their gains.

I actually think Swifts are a dark horse and won’t be surprised if they go all the way.

sarahk90
            Participant

Letherbarrow is a hard one. She could be a starter in maybe 1 or 2 seasons if Harten retires so does she wait it out but still only get minimal court time for a few more years? Or does she risk it to find a new club

1/4 time: Magpies 15-14

Very even game as the score suggests. The intensity is a slight comedown after that incredible last Q in the previous match, but both of these teams want to get that 3rd win of the season.

D-fencr
                Participant

Considering how she’s playing quite well for someone who has very little court time at this level, you could only assume she’d benefit and likely improve from more court time. I don’t know whether Julie Fitz will give it to her.

Jodi-Ann Ward already has five gains and Jamie-Lee Price 10 assists, half way through the 2nd Q.

Giants 23-20

D-fencr
                    Participant

Very small crowd in at John Cain Arena today.

What are your thoughts on the success of the “new” clubs in the 7th season?

Lightning obviously the most successful (both premierships and crowds). Giants seem to do OK with crowds, I’m not in NSW though so it’s hard to get a gauge on their popularity, but they have been reasonably successful in terms of ladder position.

Collingwood don’t seem to have done as well in either measure. I don’t know anyone who swapped from Vixens to support them, probably doesn’t help that the Collingwood brand is divisive.

1/2 time: Giants 30-27

This is a good game. Giants won that Q 16-12 to take a 3 goal lead. Jamie-Lee Price is everywhere out there for Giants.

Magpies have had 18 turnovers so far! But Jodi-Ann Ward has had 7 possession gains to keep them right in it.

3/4 time: Giants 50-43

A Letherbarrow super shot right on 3/4 time extends Giants’ lead to 7. Looks really tough for Magpies now.

Just a reminder that it’s 2213 days since Magpies had their one and only win over Giants in Super Netball.

Time out. Magpies have scored 4 straight goals and narrowed the gap to 5. Giants 55-50

Tully
                            Participant

If this game was a World Cup selection then:

– Parmenter has to be selected ahead of Brazill. On form it isn’t much of a contest;
                              – Price has to be in the 12. Career best form and makes everything look easy;
                              – would be a big gamble to take Garbin. Yes she won’t be playing GA but to take a player so clearly low on confidence would a risk. Could she shoot a goal for the win on the buzzer?

Garbin needs to desperately move clubs. If she wants to stay in Melbourne and not go back to Sydney then explore a move to Vixens. Their style of play would suit her much more and MJ won’t be around for too much longer.

Tully
                              Participant

Nice comments by JLP about Letherbarrow.

Full time: Giants 69-56

The drought continues for Magpies against Giants. The head to head is now 15-1 in Giants’ favour!

Giants’ faint finals hopes are still alive. POTM is unsurprisingly Jamie-Lee Price. Both Dwyer and Letherbarrow landed 5/6 super shots.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top