2023 Test Series – Aus v SA (Oct)

2023 Test Series – Aus v SA (Oct)2023-08-30T22:30:28+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The tricky part for SA is developing the players to the point where they will get SSN contracts. Van Der Berg, Smith and Taljaard are the most likely but a little way off. All 3 will obviously hugely benefit from playing NSL for the first time. Strydom similarly by joining Steel and Chaweni to Cardiff but I don’t think they will make SSN in the future. Hopefully if she can continue to develop with SA then Streutker may get an NSL contract in a couple of years. It will be an unpopular opinion but you can see why Pretorious has missed a contract.

Please Norma play Smith at GK. Tactical error to start her at GD against Diamonds.

Can’t help but feel Diamonds have missed a chance to develop a backup attacking midcourt in this series. Either ATN or Mundy would have fitted in well and stepped up to the level. Can definitely see JLP taking the starting C bib from Hadley for the big games.

al_ex
      Participant

I also think Pretorius hasn’t been as strong since coming back from having a baby. She had a few really good games for Lightning, but she’s become more expensive and doesn’t win as much ball anymore.

JLP has gotten so much faster and leaner, an absolute powerhouse in C. I think her bigger issue now is building defensive pressure. She’s good on transition and getting intercepts on circle edge, but I think Hadley is much better at setting up a defensive structure to allow the defenders behind her to get ball.

TB
          Participant

I would love to see Mundy in this lineup. Though I do wonder with Watson and Hadley as C/VC, and they’re also the starting and backup WA, if this part of the reason why SM wants 2 defensive C/WD?

I know I harp on Horjus, but having a swing GA/WA would fit this Diamond team. Cause they have a genuine GD/WD which gives them 3 WD options.

Tully
              Participant

Despite being the VC I’m not sure Hadley will be in the Diamonds come the next Commonwealth Games. Phenomenal player but it’s going to get tougher and tougher to hold off the young talent. Will be interesting to see who the Diamonds take to Quad Series if they take 15 again. They need to start exposing young attacking midcourters, defensive midcourt is fine with JLP, Parmenter and Aryang.

I’d say Austin is the GA / WA swing. She has performed very well at WA for
                diamonds and the only reason she hasn’t played more of it at SSN is because she is so valuable in GA. Always played WA well at Giants in her early years. She might get a chance at WA at Vixens next year as change up given they will have genuine shooting depth. If Dwyer isn’t played against NZ with her shot then I can’t see Horjus being put out against a top nation in GA.

SA should try Strydom at GD. I remember her playing there for Bond in QLD and she was good. Was such a shame that covid meant she never was able to come back for another season or play ANL despite being selected for Fusion. Actually, more South African players should follow her lead. The standard of state leagues in Australia and the intensity of their training is very high so they’d be so much for them to gain.

PICASSO123
                Participant

Palavi from Tonga, Makunde from Zimbabwe and Rauluni from Fiji prove the standard of the state leagues in Australia.

If some of these Overseas players cannot make SSN, the state leagues would be the perfect start.

netballgirl
                  Participant

I think this years contract debacle has made it hard for internationals to come to Australia with all the uncertainty. Hopefully next year we’ll see some if the deserving ones get a spot. Id love to see some of the South African girls get a spot in the SSN, I can see it happening when some of the big names retire.

Speaking of diamonds, when RBD returns from injury, who will be dropped for quad series? I can actually see them taking Aryang and Garrett, maybe it will be retirement for Weston. I feel next year Garrett will take over RBD.

Muffie
                    Participant

We have bought tickets to watch Australia vs Sth Africa on the 29th October at State Bank Arena. We paid$ $350 for front row seats. We get a message from ticketek? Saying you have been relocated and then your tickets have been cancelled. Those tickets got us in the Derwent Room for pre game drinks and food. We have flown from Newcastle NSW to be there. We have rang everyone that may help only to be given a message that all offices are shut and won’t open till Monday. Ticketek don’t answer. We have emailed them. We are very upset

D-fencr
                      Participant

Weston is only 29 and is still performing. You could see her value last year when she came into the Constellation Cup halfway through! Unless RBD, Garrett or Aryang start outperforming her, I can’t see her going anywhere.

Muffie
                        Participant

The situation with the Netball tickets is a ticketek error. It affects lots of people. It should all be solved and tickets re issued. I contacted Netball Tasmania and netball Australia. They were very helpful and explained the problem. Tyvm we can enjoy the netball

Tully
                          Participant

Weston’s spot is completely safe. Time and again she is doubted and comes out and proves she is Australia’s best GD. Was outstanding at WC. Has struggled with multiple injuries this year and yet came through with the guide when needed, a well deserved rest from TBah series.

RBD remains ahead of Garrett. For a ball winner RBD is incredibly clean. For a Garrett to push through ahead of Weston, RBD and Aryang she needs to be tidier. 10 penalties including 7 contact is a lot in half a game. Of course wasn’t an issue against SA but would be against England etc. Aryang as a comparison had just 2 contact penalties. Great debut and she will play for Diamonds many more times but the other 3 are ahead of her.

RBD would be unlikely to be fit for Quad Series.

Tully
                            Participant

The way that Marinkovich has created depth with 4 capped Diamonds as GD options has been outstanding.

We shouldn’t forget that Tara Hinchliffe will come back into things next year and will be playing alongside Bruce at SCL.

Now Marinkovich needs to do the same at WA and GO over the next 18 months. She has shown her hand a little bit about who she is working with by ATN and Mundy being invitees (and Mundy training in Sydney with Garrett, Wallam and Parmy last week). GK backups less clear with Ervin as the invitee and TOS selected for Fast 5 (Ellis as reserve). But Garrett wasn’t even selected for Fast 5 a year ago so that shows how much SSN form can elevate a player to Diamonds. It’s clear what physique Marinkovich wants in a GK but how all three of them go in SSN next year will be interesting. I know that RBD, Garrett and Hinchliffe (and Weston, the most actually) can play GK but they aren’t likely to be starting GKs for Diamonds, at least not long term.

Tully
                              Participant

Oh Muffie I hope you can sort your ticket issues and enjoy the game (and Hobart!)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Tully.
                                al_ex
                                Participant

I think Weston is a bit stale at SSN level, but at Diamonds level she is still performing. Especially now that she is better in attack, she used to be more expensive than attacking midcourters.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 138 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top