2024 SSN ROUND 4

2024 SSN ROUND 42024-05-03T13:32:06+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Having noticed Parmy backing up quite a lot, I’ve checked the stats and yes, she has 7 second phase received (SPRs) which is the most for Mavs. Normally this stat belongs to the WA and GA, but without Glasgow you’ve got Cardwell with a bit less fitness simply not doing the drives and offers required of a GA.

Mavs are relying on the reset and using Parmy too much and too early. Mavs need to figure out how to get some more depth in second phase, I’m thinking that Fraser is a better WA than Nankivell so I’d want her out there. Jovic, well she’s playing fantastically, with no turnovers so far, in a game with not too many errors.

Andrew Kennedy
      Participant

In case any of you have forgotten, it is Manu’a that got sent off in 2020 for contacting Scherian and Koenen. She really didn’t deserve that, and I can see that a video umpire would be great for deciding if players DO get finally sent off, it just doesn’t seem practical.

The rough play rules have tightened up so much, Manu’a has been playing in NZ, haven’t seen any sign of her being more or less rough. I have held the opinion for a long time that Giants didn’t tell their players to hold back on physicality, it was only Parmy that was a lovely clean players as the shining light.

D-fencr
        Participant

I’d be getting Fraser on for Nankivell, a few silly passes by the latter has been expensive. And just hope that Fraser and Jovic can figure it out and not run into each other like previous games.

Andrew Kennedy
          Participant

There’s definitely a fitness gap here for Mavs. Their leads just aren’t as strong, they’re earlier, there are fewer reoffers, and this is why SCL are getting the tips and that lovely intercept from the cross-court pass. It’s a miracle that they’re staying in it this well tbh.

I’m not saying Mavs don’t train hard or try hard, it just feels like their conditioning program makes them stronger but less able to consistently offer and reoffer and back each other up. Except Jovic who has five pickups, one intercept, and no turnovers.

3/4 time: Lightning 49-46

Mavericks just won’t go away. Whenever it looks like Lightning might be taking control, Mavs charge right back. They won that Q 17-16 and have so far scored 4 super shots to Lightning’s 1. Will that be crucial?

D-fencr
              Participant

What’s with USC stadium and ankles? That’s four across these two teams now. Bruce and Cardwell both off in quick succession.

Oh no! Eleanor Cardwell has gone down with a right leg injury and has been helped off court. That came after Courtney Bruce left the court also with an injury.

Meanwhile, it’s all building up to an exciting finish with Lightning leading 54-53

k4tm4c
                  Participant

And Ava Black out for the season with her ankle injury (from match opening commentary).

Andrew Kennedy
                    Participant

Interesting that Cardwell wouldn’t even attempt to put weight on her injured right ankle there. We didn’t get the benefit of the replay. NB if fractured she’ll be out for 6-8 weeks.

For all the amazing accuracy Cara delivers, don’t forget she has five rebounds! Such a consistent, reliable player. Strangely, at the other end, nobody on either team has a rebound.

D-fencr
                      Participant

Mavericks steal the win!

You’re kidding. This is incredible. Mavericks win 65-64!!!

Lightning had more successful shots, but Mavericks scored 6 super shots to Lightning who scored just 1. Gabby Sinclair landed a crucial 5/6 from 2 point range.

k4tm4c
                          Participant

Just as I gave up on the Mavs, they finally started shooting super shots and stole the win.

I hope all the players injured in this game will be OK.

D-fencr
                            Participant

You have to feel for Cassidy – injured her leg (I really hope it’s not a knee…) on the last play, ran on with the ball, and got called for stepping. Turnover and Mavs took it down for a 2, and then had the next centre pass and scored a 1 with seconds remaining.

Gabby Sinclair the hero for Mavericks.

k4tm4c
                              Participant

Any idea why Tayla Fraser was running drills while the rest of her team were celebrating the win?
                                She didn’t get onto the court this week.

To sum up that last crazy minute, Lightning was 2 up when Cassidy rolled her ankle, and hobbled off. To add insult to injury, the call went against her, Mavs got the ball, Sinclair sank a super shot, then Jok the winner with time almost up.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top