2024 SSN ROUND 5

2024 SSN ROUND 52024-05-10T11:51:28+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I understand there was a mistake. What I’m saying, if they couldn’t determine what was going to happen within 10-15mins (max 20mins) of the original whistle. Call it a draw. But to wait up to 45mins, was way too long and very unprofessional IMO.
      By the sounds of things, clear communications weren’t happening. Officials should not have let both the umpires and Lightning leave the court.

Tully
      Participant

The management of the game was farcical but I disagree that ET should not have been played. To play to a result as opposed to awarding a win based on an incorrect score (or even a draw) would not be great for the competition’s integrity. Both teams were in the same boat from a timing perspective, eg Harten didn’t take the court for that reason in ET. It was Lightning’s choice to leave the court and warm down rather than stay on court till their management had confirmed the outcome given that there was clear confusion. You can say they thought they won but Fretwell said Dwyer told her it was a draw so Lightning were aware that there was conjecture to the result.

TB
        Participant

But being told by an opponent is NOT an official statement. Umpires had left the court.

@Tully
          you think calling the game a draw would look way worse, than what actually happened?

TB
          Participant

IMO calling the game a draw would have put more scrutiny and ownership on the scoring officials.
            But we are talking about who stayed on court, who was told what, who didn’t warmup, how they would have played in the final 30secs etc. I in no way think this is the players/coaches fault at all.

It’s even more embarrassing for the league, they went to social media officially saying Lightning had won. To go back and change it. Seriously just makes the league look somewhat tacky.

Tully
            Participant

Yes I do. Play to a result.

I never said it was an official statement. I said the management of the scenario was farcical. It was a joke. But you cannot say Lightning left the court without any knowledge of the debate and challenge on the score that was taking place. They knew that was taking place and chose to leave.

Swifts1
              Participant

The Lightning still chose to leave the court knowing there was something going on. I totally agree that it was a farce and obviously the communication with the teams about what was happening was very poor. Why on earth would the umpires leave knowing the result was under dispute?

TB
                Participant

I agree to a point, but the umpires left the court too. Worse case scenario, I think Lightning (purely speculating) would have thought the final outcome was a draw. As a player I would not be thinking I’d be asked to go back on to court after 45mins. A game of netball goes for 60mins.

Yeah, I thought it was wrong for Lightning to leave the court, but the umpires left as well, so it’s not like Lightning went it alone.

Giants had all the psychological advantage going into ET. They were given a second chance whereas Lightning had to lift themselves back up after thinking they’d won.

By the way…

Sophie Dwyer:
                      Round 3 – 9 turnovers in 60 minutes
                      Round 4 – 10 turnovers in 60 minutes
                      Round 5 – ZERO turnovers in 70 minutes

Guyza
                      Participant

On a different note, I find the split in days that teams play really odd.

Thunderbirds are playing 11(!) of 14 games on Saturdays, while Swifts only play 2.

Swifts (12) and Lightning (10) play a significant majority of theirs on Sunday.

Guess it is down to venue availability but it’s interesting.

RTRtrent
                        Participant

2:25 70-68 Giants arena scoreboard and TV Score.

2:10 71-68 Giants arena scoreboard and TV Score.

1:47 71-70 Giants arena scoreboard and TV Score.

1:22 71-70 Lightning arena scoreboard 71-71 TV Score.

caribou
                            Participant

Scoring errors aside, this just reinforces my view that we shouldn’t play extra time in home and away games. Just accept the result after 60 minutes rather than keep going to get a different result.

In this case it would still have been a debacle, but without the player welfare issues.

mcleod
                              Participant

Out of interest, what did Nat Butler bring to the Mavricks??, stats say poor shooting, 3 turnovers.
                                I thought Australia had a lot of depth in top line Netball, hmmm!!!!!

MissedShot
                                Participant

Lightning have to be rivalling Mavs for unluckiest team of the year. I feel for them. Giants were much improved but that was their best, against a team missing 3 of their game day 10. I don’t think they have much more to give so it’s going to be a long season for them. It goes without saying that netball has embarrassed itself yet again with not being able to accurately score a game and then their management of the issue.

Meanwhile at the Mavs, Butler was a bizarre choice and did not offer anything. Would have liked to see them give Palavi a chance. Sinclair has been playing well, I would have left her on. Now they’ve got Jok I don’t think the shooting end is the problem, it’s midcourt and defence.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 202 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top