2024 SSN SIGNING AND TEAM NEWS

2024 SSN SIGNING AND TEAM NEWS2024-01-16T23:08:11+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Romelda is off to play for the tbirds. Makes sense because she’s mature and a leader, and won’t be needed for the long term.

Nelson is playing state league next season, very sad.

TB
      Participant

That’s a great pickup for TBirds! I think any team that has either RAG or JFR, will be a massive threat in the competition. IMO this puts TBirds right back, to at least, top 3. And it’s not just because they’ve picked up RAG, but the fact she won’t be coming up against Sterling.
        Sterling had the better of most shooters in the competition. So the fact they’ll be on the same team will be massive for them.

schmeetle
        Participant

Be interesting if Nelson gets a visa based on that. She’d have to go for a partner or education visa ($$$).

StatsNerd21
          Participant

MJ played state league for a while (2011-2013). Not sure what kind of visa she would’ve had but I imagine it was sporting? All Wikipedia says it that there were ‘visa complications.’

netballgirl
            Participant

I’m not 100% sure but didn’t the Sri Lankin Gs play state league? Would you get a visa for playing semi professional?
              Nelson’s engaged so maybe she can get an Aussie visa or even citizenship that way? I’m worried she won’t be playing for Jamaica anymore, she’s unfollowed Netball Jamaica, sterling, Dehaney etc on Instagram. Maybe she’s upset romelda got picked over for World Cup and the last spot in SSN? Id be furious too.

D-fencr
              Participant

I don’t know how I feel about Romelda going to Tbirds. On one hand, short term inclusion which makes sense if Tbirds see Austin as taking the starting spot in a year or two. On the other hand, Tbirds have a history of a revolving door of stop-gap players without much success (until last year). I suppose it can’t really be helped with Cardwell leaving though.

D-fencr
                Participant

Pretty sure the Sri Lankan GS lives in Australia and therefore plays state league, I don’t know her visa or citizenship status but I’d guess it’s not necessarily linked to netball.

Tully
                  Participant

Romelda hasn’t been confirmed as going to TBirds. The code article includes quotes from her husband saying he is sure she will be on a list somewhere in 2024 but they are waiting for the contracting window to open up and will go from there. The article then speculates that it would be at TBirds with a spot for her.

Sligar will be signed by Giants and Gorman Brown by Swifts. Giants might sign Erin O’Brien as their 3rd defender.

I don’t think Aiken is a great signing for TBirds. She was good at Swifts but she had the world’s best GA ahead of her along with Proud and Hadley. That’s phenomenal service. Nelson had far inferior service but far stronger shooting stats. I’d play Austin over Aiken. Also doesn’t solve their GA problem, even if they use Horjus there they need a backup because Austin or Aiken aren’t covering GA.

Tully
                    Participant

The other thing to consider for Aiken is maybe she is looking at being a TP again. Her husband just said he was confident she would be on a list somewhere.

Have to wait and see what happens with the CPA but they are seeking the 11th player / nominated TP that can play each week irrespective of the current rules that require a contracted player to be injured.

Maybe Aiken will take that role at Swifts?

TB
                      Participant

As good as those players are, I don’t think Swifts would have made finals without her. She definitely can elevate a team. If Mavericks, Vixens or SCL recruited her I’d automatically put them title favourites.

I do agree, if Tbirds are planning on using Horjus at GA, they will need to have a very strong WA option. Austin was used for impact in particular for the super shot, so nothing will change there. A bit risky to go with 2 GSs, and no backup in GA. However I guess they still have training partners to rely on.

Tully
                        Participant

I wouldn’t take Aiken over any of Koenen, Cardwell or Garbin at SCL, Mavs or Vixens.

TB
                          Participant

No I wouldn’t either, but I would take her over any of their 3rd option shooters.

netballgirl
                            Participant

the good thing about Aiken is she can boost the confidence levels of players around her. She’s a lively spirit and will be a great mentor for the young girls.
                              I think they’ll pick up a 3rd shooter maybe Allan if Dwan doesn’t stay.

Hopefully Browne will be the WA backup option.

I can see them in the top 4. My prediction is 3rd.

Tully
                              Participant

And Dwan has as expected officially departed the TBirds.

Huge task to replace two starting shooters, a bench midcourt and the assistant coach.

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,011 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top