Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach

Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach2021-06-29T09:23:59+10:00

Forums New Zealand Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s Waikato and Bay of Plenty. So it’s a biggish area, and with people like CBass who is living in Mt Maunganui, or Williams further away in Whakatane it’s a bit of traveling .

But Tactix and Steel covers biggers areas, they seem to have no issue in getting all their players in the one city.

I do feel for Sam Winders, she is to good for that team, but for her Ferns ambitions I want her to be playing at WD.

Maryann
      Participant

True that McLeod. Forgive me, I am a Mainlander (ex ChCh).

Agree re Steel, Invers to Dunedin is a decent drive too.

Also agree re Sam.

mcleod
        Participant

I’m a mainlander as well. True Red/Black for ever. I might be wrong but I think the Steel use both Dunedin and Invercargill as training bases. So it’s not always in the same place.

minkie
          Participant

Well I guess to maintain the best in your job, a bigger efforts needed. As said Southlands alot bigger and those teams manage to get together for training. Can’t see why Magic can’t manage it.

Passer77
            Participant

I think they need a really experienced successful coach. Not sure there are a lot in NZ at the moment – more than likely lots of very competent coaches but probably not experienced enough. Just a personal think but I’d love to see a very experienced coach to come in and mentor an up and coming nz coach – like Noeline did at lightning. Julie Fitz would be a good one though not sure she will move. Maybe Norma, Nicole Cusack or Jane WT. I’m afraid my all time favourite Marg Angove has been way too long retired – always brilliant at developing young talent.

NZChampion
              Participant

I would look at the Auckland NNL coaches given they have exposed some talent and made their grand final appearances. Look to developing our own coaches rather than going off shore. We have to move with the times and on board with Noelines successful style of coaching. Fitness being the paramount focus in all players in the team. Magic need a solid bench that will come on and perform and a steady starting 7.

mcleod
                Participant

Magic really should have beaten the Steel last game. But for a pile of strange decisions from the coach.
                  Kara played 30min, she to me didn’t look like she was struggling. Then on comes the replacement WA Korlosse, 3 turnovers in 5min, then on comes the 3rd string WA. Tong having a great game, gets taken of, on comes can’t remember. Steel get the ball into the shooters much easier.

Semple didn’t even get on court. The passing to CBass was woeful, and she was moving to much as well.

Anyway Magic have 3 games left. Play Pulse (really should win that), Tactix and Stars.

Apart from a couple of thumpings, Magic haven’t had big losses. Just lack of fitness, and silly coach decisions cost them prob 2-3 more wins.

NZChampion
                  Participant

Kolose*

Totally agree mcleod.

Less bib throwing in the air would be great. Or save the best players for the 2nd half and really run the game home strong. Try something new because it’s just a repetitive failure.

mcleod
                    Participant

Kolose yes that’s her. Anna Stanley said on Inside Netball last night, that Katrina Rore is moving to Rotorua, so maybe she could be a option at Magic, if she returns to the big time.

But Magic are going to have to dangle a big carrot in front of the big name players, to get them.

Some players are well looked after in their current teams, so why move.

WeWood
                      Participant

In that case get rid of Mikaere and run with a back 3 of Rore (if she’s happy, willing), Fowler and Tong. Rotate them GD/GK, play them WD-GK.

al_ex
                        Participant

I loved Anna Stanley’s insights on the podcast. She was so much more straightforward and to the point than she is in commentary. Especially in relation to fitness levels.

I think for Magic you have to look at which players have either genuinely performed or have shown that they’re improving. For me that’s Williams, Winders, Fowler and Tong. Then there are players who can perform if they get fit: Bassett, Kara and Fakahokotau. I don’t think those players offer enough going forward to keep them, at least not on a high salary cap tier. The rest haven’t been great to be honest.

There are so many talented players up North they should be able to target. You would hope that at least one of the Mystics shooters and one of the Stars shooters could move over to play with Williams. I’d be going hard for Falkner and Malesala given their history. Claire O’Brien has been strong at NNL level and is a proven performer from her Swifts days. I can imagine Gordon may want to move back up North if Parata remains. Rore in Rotorua would be a great mentor for Tong and Fowler. There are definitely talented players to be recruited but Magic have to get their act together and genuinely pick the best options. They also need to pick an Import who is on the improve not someone in the twilight of their career, that’s something the T’Birds have finally learnt in Australia.

mcleod
                          Participant

Is Sam Winders the best option at C, to me she needs to be at WD. Tui needs to be a shooter in some ANZ team, and the starting one, not a bench sitter watching the GA’s at the Mystics do 2 % of the shooting.

The salary cap may well force some players to move (if they want more $$), from other teams.

Kayla Cullen returning in 2022 but if she plays is likely to be at a Auck team.

Do the Magic look at a import shooter again, say someone like Ellie Cardwell from England.

al_ex
                            Participant

An Import Shooter would be good but unless they can lure someone from SSN I don’t think the options in England are actually better than the available NZL shooters. With all of the talk of the boards merging in Australia and the new broadcast agreement next year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see SSN take on England’s import rules (i.e. no more than three imports, no more than one in each section of the court). That would make one of Housby and Wallace available, and no matter who gets kept the alternate would be great for Magic if they could get them.

mcleod
                              Participant

Can’t imagine Housby coming to NZ, Gretel’s hubby is a NZer, maybe he wants to return home. But he is actually a Canterbury person. Harten might like to play in NZ again!!. She seems bit out of sorts at the Giants

RMB
                                Participant

not training together, is this for real??!! No wonder Melcalfe stepped down would that be before the pushed her out? Ive watched the tactix train together and thats 5 times a week, even my social netball team trains together 1 or 2 times a week wow thats dumb sorry

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach

Go to Top