Australia Constellation Cup Team

Australia Constellation Cup Team2023-10-05T06:48:15+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just watched Stacey talk about the Con Cup on The 4th Qtr. Re: Moloney over Parmenter, said they wanted to reward her for being a great squad member, that she’s very familiar with their strategies etc, and that they have other players who can swing into WD. Stacey said she’s sure Amy will get another opportunity in the near future.

Stacey also emphasised that they haven’t played NZ in a while & it’s always challenging because of the different style. Camp will be short and very intense.

Noels was on as well – seems likely they’ll take the same starting 7 from the last two matches into the start of the Con Cup & Grace Nweke probably won’t be back until the NZ leg.

TB
      Participant

This will be great for Walmsley. It’ll be a baptism of fire for her, to go up against the Diamonds and in Aus.
        It may have been a forced decision, but DNT seems to be heading in the right direction for this 4yr cycle.

mcleod
        Participant

Should be a close CC, especially if Ekenasio brings her form from the England series.

Game 4 is on a Monday afternoon, (public holiday in NZ).

benmac4
          Participant

I guess I rate dwan incredibly highly because I feel she’s super clear of Batchelordor especially without the super shot in play

I’m worried about our future defence when you look at other areas of the court we have multiple options outside the World Cup team of players with experience to step up as players retire and or to cover injuries

In defence we only have RBD with experience and it’s only a few games

I’d expect for all three reserves to be in the squad following World Cup slightly frustrating that we can expect RBD and Wallam to be ready to enter the team but not give them experience when opportunities arise

Koenan and Weston have shown why they belong in the World Cup team but we need to be more prepared for injuries and the future is swap them for RBD and wallam in this series

benmac4
            Participant

I guess I rate dwan higher than others as I think she’s a gun, Batcheldor would have to have a phenomenal season playing behind wood and returning from injury which I feel is unlikely

RBD is a better swap for Weston as RBD is more suited to GD and doesn’t have the height that Bruce and Klau have, nothing against Weston she’s a gun

I’m shocked that Rbd and wallam didn’t make the team. Having them be reserved for World Cup and expecting them to step into the team at any given moment but not giving them the experience when tests like these happen is poor in my opinion

al_ex
              Participant

I also rate Batcheldor ahead of Dwan, especially looking over a 4 year cycle. I like Tippah and she’s super quick but she doesn’t seem that comfortable shooting from mid range over tall defenders. I also don’t think she’s great at getting shooting options closer to the post (like for example Pettitt was and Koenen is). But hope she proves me wrong, she’s absolutely beautiful to watch when she’s in full flight. Batcheldor also needs to work on her GA game, it will be interesting to see how she comes back from injury. I’m still astounded that Firebirds prioritised Stower over her in 2022.

Tully
                Participant

I’m not worried about Australia’s depth in GD. Aryang is still very young. RBD and let’s not forget Tara Hinchliffe are capped diamonds. Weston as well still has a few good years left at this level. Weston is same age as Watson.

It is the depth at GK that is a worry. If Klau or Bruce were injured the back up GK would probably be Weston. There is a lack of tall strong GKs. Ervin and Ellis have the physique.

All goes in cycles though.

iona
                  Participant

People were saying that Olivia Lewis was the next best GK. I don’t rate her that highly but she has had more court time than Rudi Ellis.
                    What do people think?

NB12
                    Participant

Lewis is ok, but yet to make her mark. I think Tiegan O’Shanassy could be one to watch but she really needs some consistent court time. She would have been more than a handy pick up for a few different clubs.

netballgirl
                      Participant

I’m surprised Horjus was overlooked, she’s far more stronger than Mundy. Could her height have something to do with it?

I rate Dwan higher than Batchelador. If you’ve seen her play in person yo lose you’d be saying the same, her elevation is next to none. Very quick and creates space well. She’d be the X factor for the diamonds.

Players like Garrett, maybe Wallam will get their turn against SA.

Tully
                        Participant

I’ve seen both Batcheldor and Dwan play in person loads of times. From way back at QLD underage through sapphire series. Actually first saw Dwan playing for Summerville. If Batcheldor is fit she will be pushing Diamonds squad in 12 months for that 6th shooting spot. Obvious benefits of playing with Koenen and Watson will be to her advantage. In no way a I saying Dwan is a bad player I am just saying I’d rate Batcheldor ahead of her and al_ex said it best “over a 4 year cycle”.

It’s a credit to both of them that they are where they are. Batcheldor has had two ACLs and Dwan two Lisfranc injuries (surgeries). Lisfranc surgery is what Watson had.

I don’t think Horjus is far stronger than Mundy. In saying that they are different players. Mundy is a pure midcourter who can play all 3 midcourt positions and is big and strong at 1.8m. Horjus and ATN are after the same spot.I can see why they went ATN. She had a hugely dominant SSN and only one way to find out if she can feed someone other than Fowler.

On the GKs I had forgotten O’Shanassy. I’d put her with Ervin and Ellis. Hopefully she can get past all her niggly injuries. I’d put those 3 ahead of Lewis and Moore. Lewis has such an exceptional vertical leap but does struggle if the shooter brings some moderate mobility to the game.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Tully.
                          benmac4
                          Participant

Looking at the recent england v NZ spots its a shame we didnt grab sasha glasgow.

i wonder if Glasgow knew wood was retiring and if stacey marinkovitch was looking at glasgow as one of the potential replacements, a potential big loss for Aus

with her leaving fever and the rumour that shes linking up with caldwell at Mavs they could become an incredibly dominant shooting combination

TB
                            Participant

Horjus would have been my pick for the Diamonds squad. I’m a big fan so I’m biased.
                              I love that she can swing between WA/GA. But she plays GA very differently to the others that are selected. Her skill set does remind me of Steph Wood, however cause she is shorter she brings a lot of speed. Her height could go for or against her.

ATN deserves her spot. Did she have a season with SM at Fever?

StatsNerd21
                              Participant

Yes, she played for 3 years with SM. However that was during her GA form that was… inconsistent at best :scratch: I’m very happy to see ATN get a shot, but I would also like Horjus to get one soon!

Horjus is only 3cm shorter than Wood, but I suppose that makes a big difference at international level.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by StatsNerd21.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top