Australian Development Squad 2020/21

Australian Development Squad 2020/212020-10-09T09:01:36+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Mahalia Cassidy – Queensland Firebirds/Queensland
        Lara Dunkley – Queensland Firebirds/Victoria
        Tippah Dwan – Queensland Firebirds/Queensland
        Kate Eddy – Melbourne Vixens/Victoria
        Matilda Garrett – Collingwood Magpies/Victoria
        Sasha Glasgow – Adelaide Thunderbirds/South Australia
        Tara Hinchliffe – Queensland Firebirds/Queensland
        Olivia Lewis – West Coast Fever/Western Australia
        Jemma Mi Mi – Queensland Firebirds/Queensland
        Lauren Moore – NSW Swifts/New South Wales
        Maisie Nankivell – Adelaide Thunderbirds/South Australia
        Amy Parmenter – GIANTS Netball/New South Wales
        Alice Teague-Neeld – West Coast Fever/Victoria
        Maddy Turner – NSW Swifts/South Australia

Tully
        Participant

Given how midcourt heavy the Diamonds squad is I would have liked to have seen more investment at either end of the court.

In saying that Eddy is a defender so not sure why they are calling her a midcourter.

To invest in either end I think they could have found room for Horjus, Aryang and Smith. A couple of selections definitely based more on potential than 2020 form in that squad so the fact that Aryang and Smith haven’t played that many games should not have gone against them (didn’t hurt Glasgow or Garrett).

Molly Jovic should feel unlucky. Was far more consistent across the entire season than either Mi Mi or Dunkley. No issue with them being there but makes me wonder why Jovic who performed week in week out with little support isn’t. One of Mi Mi or Dunkley needs to move to Lightning next year.

Scherian is the notable absentee given that she was a Diamond 12 months ago.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Tully.
          Participant

Sad isn’t it but as much as I love the squad, I wanted to see straightaway if there were noteworthy omissions…
            Scherian yes, Stanton, Aryang, jovic, Hay, Manua, Poolman come to mind

aqua301
            Participant

Jeez the Firebirds have so much talent in the NA pathway at the moment.

Dwan, Cassidy, Mi Mi, Dunkley & Hinchliffe in Aus A.
              Jenner, Simpson, Bueta in Diamonds squad.
              Gardner & Stower in Aus U/21.

The only one who misses out is Ellis and Aiken & Venter

Netballcrazy1
              Participant

Seriously, last year they invited a shooter (can’t remember who) who never got on the SSN court, to the training camp. They easily could have put Horjus in there or Stanton. There’s only three shooters!
                Aryang also would’ve been great, Jovic, Scherian, Manu’a?
                I think maybe they’ve taken the whole Development part of the squad too seriously? So instead of it being Aus A, they’re going for youth which is why Manu’a and Scherian missed out?
                I feel like while selection into this team is honourable, it’s not as prestigious as Diamonds and they could’ve used this opportunity to bring in a greater pool of talent.

Netballcrazy1
                Participant

Very happy Nankivell and Glasgow are there though. Good to see a Thunderbird in there for the first time.

The World Youth Cup team is separate to this. Anybody in that team was not going to be in this one.

Meanwhile, is it right to feel a bit cynical about the selection of Mi Mi?

Siouxsie Que
                    Participant

Agree that U21 talent should be nurtured in the U21 environment.

Mi Mi deserves to be there – we have a responsibility to develop indigenous players and show there is a development pathway – Mi M’s game certainly improved this year. Australia is very strong in the midcourt so there was always going to be some unpopular decisions. But with another year in SSN Hay and Jovic have the opportunity to stake a claim for next year’s squad.

Tully
                      Participant

If you want the U 21 talent to focus on WYC then okay I can accept Horjus, Smith and Aryang not being there. But still question the absence of Jovic who in her rookie year and in an under performing team was brilliant.

I have no issue with Poolman, Manu’a and Stanton not being there.

Netballcrazy1 the player last year that was invited was Sophie Dwyer. MVP of the ANL final in a losing team. Giants TP (should take CBass’s contract) and in the WYC squad.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Tully.
                        Netballcrazy1
                        Participant

Personally I think Mimi should be there but I can understand that the events of the indigenous round could make it look, to uneducated eyes, that her selection may be for other reasons. I think she’s shown her talent though, she’s definitely deserving of a position in the development spot in my eyes.

Tully
                          Participant

Firebirds do have a lot of talent in the squads. They remind me of Vixens a few years ago when Watson / Weston / Mannix / Moloney were talented youngsters and then became the team’s core. Expect Firebirds to be where Vixens are in a year or two if they can hold on to them all (expect they will lose a midcourter or two but that is no biggie given how many they have and perhaps Ellis who is a brilliant young talent who just needs an on court opportunity although not sure what club that would be at).

Tully
                            Participant

I don’t have an issue with Mi Mi being there. In terms of consistency game to game I’d put her ahead of Dunkley. Dunkley only really came through at the end of the year. The challenge for Dunkley next year will be to perform at that level all season once defenders know how she plays. I think they should be there. I just think Jovic should be there too :rose:

NettySuperFan
                              Participant

I have to agree @ian. The two inclusions which I feel were a bit iffy were Mi Mi and Garrett. I could understand why they might choose Garrett over someone like Aryang because she has significantly more experience at the SSN level. However with Mi Mi, I can’t think of any area which excelled above Jovic in. Jovic had more court time, played better during the season, played all three positions.

netballmum
                                Participant

Although Jovic had a fantastic rookie year, she will need to back this up next year as a second year player that everyone has had a chance to look at and then will be deserving of inclusion in one of the squads.

Note that everyone else is at least a 2nd year player (even if they first got SSN court time mid way though season 2019), so not only “broke through” but also backed it up.

I imagine these selections – like for Diamonds – are based on strict guidelines, monitored over a 3 year period.

You can hardly call Manua, Poolman, Scherian and to a lesser extent Stanton “development” options. All except Stanton have been in & now dropped out of Diamonds & Stanton probably had insufficient court time (or form) to warrant selection.

Congratulations to all selected!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top