2020/21 Australian Diamonds Squad Announcement

2020/21 Australian Diamonds Squad Announcement2020-09-25T09:22:56+10:00
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just so people don’t need to go searching in some of the other threads:

2020/21 Origin Diamonds

Tully
      Participant

Garbin plays one amazing quarter and gets selected. Bit of a joke. Certainly undermines Australia’s issues in the shooting end. Dwan has had a better year.

Eddy and Parmenter have brilliant seasons and are overlooked.

In and of itself I don’t have an issue with Parmenter not being there as I don’t think she is quite ready. Needs to work harder to shut her opponent down not just take the flashy intercept. But with Anstiss being there I don’t see how Parmenter’s and Eddy’s omissions are justified. If you do apply the argument for Parmenter that she is too heavily penalised, doesn’t do the ‘hard and ugly work’ but does the flash well that is Jenner as well so you can’t use that argument.

Very happy to see Proud.

With all of Australia’s defensive depth I think they could have selected more than 5 defenders.

Netballcrazy1
        Participant

Agree I would have had Dwan over Garbin, yes she’s new to the SSN scene but she’s shown she rarely wavers, Garbin has been inconsistent.

I too would have had Parmenter or Eddy over Anstiss. Can’t justify their omissions with Anstiss there, I don’t think she has been as good as she has in past seasons personally and I kind of see her like others see Petty. I would’ve even taken Nankivell over her.

Agree, for me Proud is the best part of the selections news, so happy to see her there.

JH
          Participant

How the hell did Verity Charles and Jess Anstiss make it in? Oh yeah that’s right… Stacey Marinkovich ?

greenasgxld
            Participant

I’m not surprised by the inclusion of Bassett (for experience) but Garbin? I can only assume she’s there for GS backup because she’s been so average this year. I’m really happy for Koenen, but I think all of us predicted that one?.

I’m surprised that Bueta is in the squad because she’s due in January, but Brandley is missing. Maybe she chose to withdraw??

I’m not surprised that Parmenter isn’t there to be honest. She has a long way to go in WD and needs to tighten up on her WA. I find her too focused on getting the screaming intercept. But I’m surprised by Anstiss. Then again, Marinkovich probably is slightly biased. They could’ve dropped her for Eddy (they have good cover in WD/C and Eddy would be handy as a WD/GD slide).

I don’t think Charles will play that well without a big target like Fowler, but we’ll have to wait and see.??‍♀️

I’m please for Proud, She deserve the call up because she’s been great this season.

The defence end doesn’t surprise me. I can assume the defence will consist of Weston, Jenner and Bruce for sure. Klau and Mannix to battle it out for the final GK spot.

Tully
              Participant

Oh how did I forget Nankivell, when I am such a fan! As much as I don’t think Parmenter and Nankivell are quite ready I can’t see how Anstiss has been stronger than them. In saying this though I find the selection of Charles more controversial. With the inexperience in the shooting circle the responsibility to put the inexperienced shooters into the right spots in the circle will fall to the WA and C. So they need to have incredible finesse and touch on the feed. Watson, Proud and Hadley should be there for that reason. Charles plays a million miles an hour then lobs it in to Fowler. It may be that the team selected doesn’t include a starting WD from the SSN as Price will be selected and may be used at WD in order to ensure the feeding ahead of the shooters is as tight as possible. Price is the form C of the comp and cannot be overlooked. I just don’t see what Charles adds to this squad.

Would have been good to have had another defender or two and less midcourters.

Tully
                Participant

The more I look at this squad the more I feel another defender would have balanced it out. I would have gone with Eddy (as there are 3 very strong GKs) but could have understood Hinchliffe as she is also good out at GD. Turner wasn’t going to make it due to such an injury interrupted year but will fight back.

Bueta won’t be available for the first con cup so won’t be playing at trials / camps early in 2021. Maybe they can bring back the invitee process as invite Dwan or Glasgow in her place and Eddy / Hinchliffe to help with court play and not overload the 5 defenders.

Netballcrazy1
                  Participant

Yeah they’ve overloaded the mid court a little bit, I agree one more defender would even things out, especially Eddy who can move between GD and WD.
                    I also can’t get over the selection of Anstiss and Charles, to me they don’t add much and it would’ve been a better opportunity for someone like Nankivell, Eddy, or Parmenter even in place of just one of them. I guess I knew this was coming though with Stacey as coach

al_ex
                    Participant

Anstiss doesn’t surprise me, but I really didn’t expect her to pick Charles. If those two make the 12 we’ll be in big trouble.

I was really hoping Eddy would get chosen, I think she could really provide a point of difference across WD/GD. I would have had Parmenter in the squad, but there are so many good WDs around I don’t think it’s that bad she wasn’t included. Unless Jenner massively cleans up her play she will get penalised like crazy with international umpires. I also would have had Dwan instead of Garbin but they seem to want 3 GS and 3 GA so I guess Bueta took Dwan’s spot. So happy for Proud and Hadley, they really deserve their spots and I hope we see them in the 12.

Jbss
                      Participant

A midcourt of Watson Hadley Proud and one if Simpson or JLP would be ideal imo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Go to Top