Caitlin Bassett makes her decision

Caitlin Bassett makes her decision2020-10-08T13:03:01+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author

A more measured response in this article.

‘It was a difficult time’: Julie Fitzgerald responds to Caitlin Bassett exit https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/oct/11/it-was-a-difficult-time-julie-fitzgerald-responds-to-caitlin-bassett-exit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Shooter Tamara
      Participant

You hit the nail on the head …. speculation indeed, you surmise things weren’t great between Harten and Housby,plus Guthrie ,as a pom I’m pretty certain you are incorrect

TB
          Participant

I guess it doesn’t really matter now, but no one asked CBass if there was a possibility of going back to Lightning.

Unfortunately for Julie Fitz, the above article highlighted to me that she made some very bad coaching decisions. And IMO cost them the season.

Netballcrazy1
            Participant

Yep, Giants could’ve made finals if it wasn’t for Fitzgerald. ALso the whole thing about how CBass didn’t have the opportunity to further her studies because of the bad trainign times and lengths, well I have no reason to think she would bring that up and lie about it.
              I would also be interested to know if Lightnign was an option, but Kylee probably wouldn’t have wanted to drop either of Koenan or Proscovia

sarahlove
              Participant

Chatfield said on the broadcast today that no Australian teams were interested.

I think it is important to remember that there are two sides to each story. We have heard Bassett’s side through an excellent and detailed article. We have heard only bits and pieces of the Giant’s side. I think they are trying to maintain professionalism as an organisation by not putting out their version of events. Bassett doesn’t need to do that because she has already gone.

CharlesWB
                Participant

sarahlove

” We have heard only bits and pieces of the Giant’s side. I think they are trying to maintain professionalism as an organisation by not putting out their version of events.”

You are kidding, right? Julie Fitz basically said that CBass was incapable and unwilling to improve and grow her skill-set, unlike someone like Jo Harten. That seemed pretty pointed (and unnecessary) from a professional coach, in my opinion.

I am not a CBass fan in any way, but her treatment seemed to have been very shabby indeed, not to mention mind-boggling when you consider that the results show that the Giants won games when she was on court and that they Giants basically failed this year.

CharlesWB
                  Participant

Shooter Tamara

You hit the nail on the head …. speculation indeed, you surmise things weren’t great between Harten and Housby,plus Guthrie ,as a pom I’m pretty certain you are incorrect

Well… I would call it observation. If you go back a couple of seasons (which I think is the time frame the original poster was referring to), Harten and Houseby played together for the Roses as though they had just met for the first time in the Car Park on the way in to the match. :scratch:

Jinxibo
                    Participant

Okay all very interesting… have to admit I’m on Julie’s side.

I don’t know Julie or Cbass and I have no inside knowledge.

Cbass’ comment about being surprised by Giants attitude, especially as they chased her to join them leads me to think that she wanted her own way. Add to that the earlier comments from LA about supporting her, makes me think there was probably a bit of expectation on Cbass’ side because she was the Diamonds captain, probably fueled by LA. Wanting to make better links with Austin?? that too sounds like LA. And what’s wrong with having to work from 7.30 til 2pm? some people have to work longer hours than that and pursue their own interests outside of work time.

TB you’re probably right, if she said things in the wrong way that could be seen like she thinks she knows better than the coach and the squad.

sarahlove
                      Participant

I’m not kidding in the slightest. The fact that Julie Fitzgerald is still employed also indicates to me that there is more to the story here. If she has a team of champions that were sitting on the bench, she probably wouldn’t be.

What I am suggesting is that we have had a clear black and white specific article expressing one sides views. I bet if we asked for a transcript of questions and answers, we would probably get one. However, from the giants, we have had plenty of opinions from people, including the commentators, and media representations. We have no idea what questions they were asked in order to elicit the quotes that Julie has made, or even indications of when those quotes were made.

In my eyes, Bassett went through a time
                        of being one of, if not the best shooter in the world. But I think that wasn’t this year, or last year – possibly due to injuries, age, personal circumstances, purely speculation. My personal (and mean) opinion is that no player is too good to sit on the bench, and if they are unhappy, they should move – which Bassett is doing.

Giants had a strong team of attackers. Jo Harten is a fantastic shooter, and the captain. 2020 was a big year for Kiera Austin and Maddie Hay, and I think they deserved all of the time they got.

Netballcrazy1
                        Participant

Jinxibo, in regards to the hours, it was part of the player agreement that between 10am-4pm (approximately), trainings would not be scheduled so that players could pursue other work to make ends meet financially as many players are not making enough to live off of solely. It’s not about the number of Ls hours or how hard they work in comparison to others, it’s the actual timing. I’m sure CBass was clear that when she moved to the GIANTS, she wanted to have the opportunity to pursue her non-netball career path, as she did make it clear in articles when she moved.

enozlas
                          Participant

Sarahlove you have summed this up perfectly in my eyes!

Waylay
                            Participant

Nailed it Sarahlove!

I also think Bassett’s comments about training from 7:30am-2pm and not having time for anything else are bizarre. She’s a full-time athlete. Full days spent training, recovering, doing media etc are to be expected. 7:30-2 is just a typical day at work like anybody else.

enozlas
                              Participant

I just can’t get the word entitled out of my head..

Netballcrazy1
                                Participant

I don’t know how to say this more clearly, the 7:30-2pm schedule violates the player agreement. They can have those number of hours of training but not between 10am-4pm. I also don’t think Bassett is entitled, i thinks she just knows her self worth.
                                  But I do agree with some of the points sarahlove raised. It’s definitely not a black and white situation but I don’t think Fitzgerald is necessarily in the right but I’m sure Bassett can be completely in the right either

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top