Caitlin Bassett

Caitlin Bassett2020-09-20T11:10:40+10:00

Forums Australia Caitlin Bassett

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant

CBass has never looked like part of the team the whole time she has been at the Giants. She’s always done her own thing and kept to herself. Someone mentioned upthread about her travelling separately up to QLD, and that is a great example.
    She’s far from my favourite player, but I have thought the amount of bench time this season has been odd. Yes, Austin and Harten have their strengths and it’s great to see Austin getting so much court time, but it’s still strange how little game time we’ve seen from CBass.

James
    Participant

I don’t know why people are surprised that Fitzgerald hasn’t played her much? I was actually really surprised when she signed her in the first place
    All of the teams Fitzgerald has coached have been a more mobile shooting circle – Swifts had the height of Cox but she was a moving shooter and I’m pretty sure van Dyk moved when Julie went to Magic?
    I would have loved to see Bassett and Austin together with Harten benched as I think Bassett and Austin could have been our starting Diamonds line up

greenasgxld
    Participant

She really needs to leave Giants. I’m not the biggest CBass fan but I really warmed to her ever since she moved to Lightning (I’m a Lightning fan). NT brought the best out of her imo. I really feel for her, especially when Harten and Austin aren’t even playing that well tbh.

I don’t think a move back to Lightning is on the cards, otherwise Koenen would either move out to GA or sit on the bench behind her again. Magpies could be an option since Nelson hasn’t really proved herself yet and a year playing with/behind CBass could help her development.

I think someone mention TBirds but I highly doubt they’ll get rid of Potgieter.

Even a move to NZ would do her good at this point. But I’m pretty sure the only team she would join is the Magic.

Has Bassett and Austin even played together in the circle this year? It’s questionable as to why they haven’t especially because Harten has had a bang average year. I’m baffled as to how she stayed on the bench during the Fever game when Harten and Austin had 21 turnovers between them. Is Harten allergic to the bench or something just because she’s captain?🙄

Giants was a bad move for her. I hope she can sign for a team that will improve her confidence.

JR
    Participant

<<Super Netball may have to decide between two-point shot and Bassett, says state boss>>

Article in The Age just now.

theage.com.au/sport/netball/super-netball-may-have-to-decide-between-two-point-shot-and-bassett-says-state-boss-20200921-p55xt8.html for those who subscribe….it’s behind a paywall.

Lots of interesting things in the article including mentioning her possible move to Magic in the ANZP and this
    <<Bassett would still be eligible for Diamonds selection if she moved to the ANZ Premiership.>>

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by JR.
    Netballcrazy1
    Participant

At least they’re consulting players and coaches for 2021 rules (although I’m not sure how much SSN bosses care about what they actually say)

Ian HarkinIan Harkin
    ahdz
    Participant

I find it strange that Marinkovich is still coaching in SSN. Whatever Caitlin decides to do, I wish her all the very best. I’m not so sure now whether she’s going to the Magic 😏

JR
    Participant

Did Magic make the announcement that CBass was moving there? There was no mention of it during the games today, I remember one commentator saying something like ‘that won’t happen’.

Bassett was at the game today, reading a book sitting right behind the coaching crew before the game and then on her phone whenever the camera was on her during and after the game. I wonder what’s going on there, the commentators said the culture was the problem and if Bassett was to stay at the Giants, then that had to be resolved.

ahdz
    Participant

Nah it was just rumoured that she was going to the Magic. Now I’m thinking it isn’t going to happen because they were meant to announce their shooters yesterday and didn’t

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I think Marinkovich and NA have tried to sway CBass so stick around in Aus but Giants took her out of the 12 today which makes me think she isn’t going to stick around at Giants if she stays here. Obviously a problem with Fitzgerald as well. CBass was completely disengaged, the only time I saw her pop her head up was in the last few minuted when Giants caught up. Other than that on her phone and reading during the whole match.

netballmum
    Participant

NetballCrazy1 – Bassett was not in the 12 because of a knee injury sustained at training on Thursday.
    But I agree she was not a good look – as has frequently been the case whilst on the bench this season.

museboy
    Participant

The more time goes on, the more unlikely I think CBass comes to NZ. NA will be pulling out all of the stops to ensure the national captain is playing in the “world’s best competition”.

Tully
    Participant

Would love Bassett to write a book one day.

TB
    Participant

I really feel for CBass, as I feel this is none of her fault. Obviously we don’t know everything that goes on behind the scenes, but any decent coach would know that she’s the stronger option than Harten?
    Harten is a great GS in her own right, and has the ability to shoot the long shot. But she is nowhere near as damaging as CBass.

Questions need to be asked of Julie Fitz decision on this, which she has never been questioned about it (well not from the media).

al_ex
    Participant

Across the majority of her career, opinions on CBass have always been so split. Some people seem convinced that she was and still is one of the best GSs in the world, others feel like she was made to look good by those around her and has been given too many opportunities in front of players like Thwaites. Others sit in the middle. Surely one of the most polarising players to ever represent and captain Australia.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Caitlin Bassett