England shooter George Fisher not ruling out possible Silver Ferns switch

England shooter George Fisher not ruling out possible Silver Ferns switch2022-09-03T09:50:28+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
      Kerryn
      Participant

I personally hope she doesn’t we have enough up and coming shooters who are going to do just fine, and the ‘older’ ones who aren’t actually that old to guide them through any transition periods – realistically Nweke/Meterau could be a pairing for the next 10-15 years, not to mention Wilson is still relatively young too and then you also have the likes of Walmesly/Williams/Glen who are all still young that have the potential of shining in the future (though Tui is one I wish has stayed in the NZ system as I think she has the most potential out’ve all of them)

mcleod
        Participant

Shame that Noel’s is more interested in a England player. Who isn’t in their top 4. But won’t work with Dunn, who far better.

WeWood
          Participant

Unsure if anyone has listened to the latest Inside Netball podcast but Anna Stanley made reference to this, and like you @mcleod I’m like what about Dunn? That girl can’t be far off the Ferns, back her in.

Why are other countries so keen to grab other players instead of concentrating on developing their own.

mcleod
              Participant

Yip Weewood I heard Anna’s comments. I actually don’t rate Fisher, she has less movement than Dunn, won’t shoot unless under the post. Jury worked her over in one game, and Fisher list her cool. I’m beginning to get annoyed and lose what little faith I had in Noel’s. Her crap treatment of Ekenasio in her non selection to com games annoyed me so much. Anyway enough said. Rant over

Wow, I’m seeing comments around the place from people saying they wouldn’t blame her, basically implying that she was badly treated by England coach & selectors. Seriously?

If she sticks around, I’m sure Harten doesn’t have that long left playing for England, so there’s a spot straight away.

Maryann
                  Participant

NZ doesn’t need Fisher – there are others just as good, if not better, coming through or already playing.

Wilson – age 24
                    Nweke – age 20
                    Metuarau – age 21
                    Dunn – age 22
                    Tui – age 20
                    Walmsley – age 18

and so the list could go on. Disappointed that we have 2? import shooters in the comp this year and that the likes of Namana haven’t gotten a contract.

minkie
                    Participant

Didn’t Dunn choose Basketball over selection for the Ferns?
                      If not, then there must be a reason we’re not privy too for her non selection.
                      Is Dunn even in the Reserves?

Maryann
                      Participant

@Minkie, when Dunn missed SF selection for CG (12 + 5 reserves) she opted to play for the Tokomanawa Queens in the new women’s basketball league. NB Tokomanawa Queens took the title.
                        From my understanding, albeit limited, doing this meant she turned down the opportunity to play in the tournament which had mixed teams etc. and imo pushed herself further down the selection ladder.

Like everyone she still has the chance to prove her fitness but I also think she needs to step up and show she is a leader. It’s one big part of her game at ANZ that I feel she definitely lacks in.

Kat
                        Participant

Well I am going against the general opinion here but why not. If an athlete is eligible
                          and wants to play for another country then they should be able to. It doesn’t mean that they will be selected. I don’t see this as poaching a player. Fisher chose to be here in NZ for work and she meet someone here and it now may be possible for her to become a citizen. The athlete should be able to make their decision that they think is best for them as long as they follow the rules. I don’t get the outrage. Yes it a honour to represent your country, but you don’t have to be born in that country to feel that honour.

minkie
                          Participant

Agree Kat
                            Ppls forget IVD

minkie
                            Participant

And Ammeliann Ekansio
                              Ppls forget too quickly

Nesian
                              Participant

Yeah we don’t need her at all. It would be a big risk on her behalf if she choose to stand down for a couple of years. Her choice if she does or doesn’t.

Rugby have recently changed their eligibility rules so maybe that will come across to netball.

I think it can get a bit ugly with regards to eligibility. I fully expect Fisher to be named in the England world cup team if only to stop her playing for NZ. Sowakula for the All Blacks was named in the team earlier in the year as one of the Super Rugby stand outs and then dropped after playing a few minutes for the All Blacks and now finds himself in limbo and can’t play for Fiji, a team that he would have been instantly picked for.

I’d expect to see Fisher named in the Fast Five as well considering she played in the last one.

Nate
                                Participant

Yep don’t need her.she said enough times in the article that she’s an English girl through and through.

IvD left SA for different reasons to live in NZ.

Ekenasio was a dual passports thing so definitely not the same as this and she hadn’t played for Aussie internationally.

Also Pitman did play for both Aussie and England but don’t forget she tried for SF too (all possible with legit passports).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top