Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG

Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG2022-05-08T06:15:19+10:00

Forums New Zealand Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just watched Adine Wilson interview Debbie Fuller on SkySport. Seemed like Adine was taking jabs at these fitness testing, I get the impression she doesn’t agree with them.
    Debs gave some good answers, I loved the part when she said (in terms of fitness standards) “the standards are set by the opposition”.

If you go back to Sue Guardions YouTube channel Gordys Gasbags, she was really surprised how fitness wasn’t a key feature in NZ training. TBH I was very surprised too. We totally got exposed at ANZC level.

On another note, I wish our Ferns coaches got more of grilling when it comes to team selections. Sure fitness standards have to be met, but team selections are just as crucial.

No disrespect to Winders or Kersten, but if we are going to CWGs with those two as our starting C. We may miss out on a medal. Our shooting and defence ends have some depth and decent options. Our midcourt has the wrong people in there IMO.

nanator
    Participant

@nesian I hear you. I think a lot has changed since 2019. This will be the first pinnacle event in a long time where the Ferns are heavily missing experience. No Casey, Langman, Maria, Rore – heck even, Watson. Given the lack of experience, I honestly wonder if Harrison can be convinced to come back…

@tb I agree, mid court is the biggest issue. I think the problem at present is that it revolves around Crampton and she’s been very inconsistent. Saunders has unfortunately always been second fiddle (but a great bench player). I’d personally like Noeline to focus more on Poi and MRB. I think those two are the future of NZ netball. They tore up the mid court at NWC 5 years ago – imagine how potent they would be together now.

Not going to happen and no one asked – but I’d take Saunders, Poi, MRB and Winders to CG.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by nanator.
    Kwkiwi
    Participant

Agree with you nesian those standards shouldn’t be adhered to rigidly in these times of covid.
    It’s really not as though players will be playing 7 tough games on them trot at the CWG. Most of the games are walkovers until the knockout part anyway. Then some players travel and barely get on the court.

Anyway I think the fitness thing is just an excuse put out there when Taurua decides she’s not selecting someone. It was appalling the way players were basically named and shamed for not reaching fitness standards and hence not selected a few years ago. You never see that sort of thing happening with the aussie selections. Taurua will bend the rules where she wants to if she wants to include a player anyway. I’ve seen a couple of PR pieces clearly from NNZ,like that rnz one saying that players may be included on past reputation, like Johnston, I’d say, for eg. That’s just softening up the punters for some of the form players getting omitted in favour of certain other players.

With regard to the shooters, surely form is more important than fitness or with the Silver Ferns is it the other way round?

I’ll also be looking with interest at load management with those players who have had covid recently with that backlog of games to be cleared. Covid affects everyone differently and just because someone tests negative they may not be fully recovered for several months afterwards. Steve Adams the NBA player was clearly affected playing two weeks out from ‘recovering’ this week.

WeWood
    Participant

@TB I just commented on another thread re the Inside Netball podcast interview between Adine Wilson and Deb Fuller.

Totally concur with what you’re saying re the heavy indication I got from Wilson is she isn’t the biggest fan, but again like you say fantastic responses from Fuller re the opposition set the standards.

mcleod
    Participant

One thing I feel unnecessary are the trials next month. The players would have played 15 games minimum. If they can’t pick a team from the ANZ, then what’s the point of the comp.

minkie
    Participant

McLeod Magic 13 games
    This stop/start of a season plus players with covid has been crapful
    If we want the best Fern players, guess waiting until the end of the season, then wait as long as possible.
    Look at Grace, if it’s serious she could be out for a month or two.
    While forms damn important, if you haven’t got the fitness to keep up, then it’s to boot really isn’t it.
    Anyone 100% dedicated would surely pass that fitness with flying colours.
    Can bet your bottom dollar Aus/Eng will have that sussed to perfection.

Nesian
    Participant

@Mcleod I agree with you totally. 15 games to show their worth but that is pretty much irrelevant. Quad series team was based on a weeks trial and people were picked on how well they performed at the trial and not how they performed during the ANZ. That didn’t go too well for us did it? All those players passed fitness standards too.

mcleod
    Participant

Minkie all teams will play 15 games, 1 team will play 17 and 2 teams 16. Some players like Kersten who is having a very poor ANZ, might trial ok and boom that’s our C for the com games.

nanator
    Participant

I don’t think it’s been explicitly said anywhere that Silver Ferns will be chosen from trials performance only?

Why not test out combinations for players that don’t play together every week? I would expect it would give a better idea of how players perform together.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG