Five clubs relocate to Brisbane

Five clubs relocate to Brisbane2021-07-20T20:27:47+10:00

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The Adelaide Thunderbirds, Melbourne Vixens, Collingwood Magpies and NSW Swifts have flown to Brisbane tonight, with GIANTS Netball players, coaches and staff remaining in Adelaide after being linked to exposure sites in Melbourne.
      The Suncorp Super Netball League is relocating five clubs to Brisbane as Adelaide enters a seven-day lockdown.

The Adelaide Thunderbirds, the Melbourne Vixens, the Collingwood Magpies and the NSW Swifts flew out of Adelaide tonight after league was advised by the South Australian government that the clubs could not play or train during the lockdown.

GIANTS Netball’s players, coaches and staff remain in Adelaide after being linked to exposure sites in Melbourne.

The Swifts travelled without head coach Briony Akle and their team physio, who are also isolating in Adelaide after being identified as close contacts of patrons who attended a Tier 1 exposure site in Melbourne last week.

The league is working closely with the South Australian and Queensland governments to determine the next best steps for the GIANTS, Akle and the team physio.

The West Coast Fever will fly to Brisbane tomorrow.

The league is working through the fixture for the final three rounds and will provide an update as soon as possible.

“We know how volatile the pandemic is in the community and we are doing everything we can to complete the Suncorp Super Netball season,” said Netball Australia CEO Kelly Ryan.

“I’d like to thank all our stakeholders – our clubs, sponsors, broadcasters, umpires, staff and fans who continue to support our competition.

sami j
      Participant

Surely with so much going on they reschedule the vixens and fever game for this weekend and give the rest of the teams a week off before no doubt the rest of the season is condensed

Netballcrazy1
        Participant

If the league insists on going on, the least I am hoping for is extended squads to help these athletes manage their physical and mental well-being

Flb
          Participant

I am really feeling for Brandley and Braz going through this with little ones. At least Rav and Bueta are at home.

Flb
            Participant

And some teams (Giants for instance who cannot train and are away from home) will be far more disadvantaged than others, but there isn’t much to be done.

thunder123
              Participant

Think Lucy Austin and Tayla Williams have traveled with the Tbirds

Joyjamie
                Participant

This isn’t going to be an even playing field for all the teams but what can you do. if they all cannot increase their match day squads then all of the should stay at 10. feel for the players must be unsettling time with this and also not knowing about contracts next year.

JR
                  Participant

Hello, does anyone know why the Giants and Akle and the Swifts physio were kept in Adelaide? They say they were at exposure sites or close contacts of people at exposure sites.

Sure they were in Melbourne the weekend of 10-11th of July but that was before Melbourne’s lockdown (which started on Friday 16th). I am also confused as to why the rest of the Swifts, The Vixens and The Magpies weren’t stopped travelling to QLD as they were also in Melbourne that weekend.

When did the teams in Melbourne that weekend leave for SA last week?

What a schemozzle.

Maryann
                      Participant

JR I’m guessing that exposure sites in Melbourne date back to before the actual lockdown started. If Arkle and the Swifts physio went to dinner or something like that with people deemed close contacts then it’s unlikely Queensland would want them.

I do feel for all affected Australians, sports people or not, and feel that so far NZ has been lucky – yes lucky – to not have had to deal with the Delta variant in the community.

JR
                        Participant

Yes, you’re right Maryann, the Victorian Department of Health’s ‘Exposure site’ map shows sites dated from Thursday 8th July when those removalists came to Melbourne from Sydney and didn’t comply with the requirements of their permit.

Melbournians were moving around a lot before the lockdown. The city was bustling, cafes and restaurants were full (and not practicing physical distancing in a lot of cases) and sports events were allowed with large crowds. All allowed.

I played nervous nelly and barely went anywhere. I went to work and to the gym (both were a bit scary but I tried to do the right thing all the time). Even tho’ I could have gone the Vixens games in the weekends leading up to the lockdown I didn’t because I didn’t know how full the stadium would be (75% that last weekend) and didn’t know what they were doing to control the crowds at the entrances to ensure physical distancing. Did you see photos of the crowds at the entrance to the MCG for that Carlton-Geelong game? No barriers to ensure physical distancing, people without masks. Yikes.

And this is where we got to.

Just heard an epidemiologist from Uni of South Australia said he thought Melbourne’s lockdown would last till the end of August…. Yikes again.

JR
                          Participant

Thanks Ian for posting Tony’s interview with Jo. Thought she looked like she was going to cry at the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top