GIANTS NETBALL 2020

GIANTS NETBALL 20202020-03-07T21:02:16+10:00

Forums Australia GIANTS NETBALL 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I agree with the concept behind your argument Ian, not every player is suited to balancing the role of captain with their role as an on court member of the playing team. The captain isn’t necessarily the best on court, but one that fulfils all the other aspects of the role of leader. Personally I don’t agree with the Giants recruitment and strategy moving forward, however the fact that CBass is the diamonds captain doesn’t make her immune from the bench. In my opinion, it’s bad player management and a lack of cohesion on court that leads to her being on the bench, not as an individually bad player but she just doesn’t fit into the style of the Giants play right now. It’s pretty obvious that her form just isn’t there this season but that could be due to a variety of factors, particularly lack of match time and of course the super shot, but I still believe if she is as capable as everyone says she is then she should shoot them. It’s an unfortunate situation but it’s up to her and the Giants to work something else out for next year, either a change in playing style or a change in club.

Ian Harkin

Was really puzzled when she first went to the Giants. It seemed like such a strange decision for the team and it just hasn’t worked out. Would like to see Austin/Bassett be given more of a run, but that means leaving the Giants captain off court. So at the moment, it seems like it’s either the Australian captain or the Giants captain who misses out. I think the main problem I have with the Giants strategy is that it’s not actually working. If leaving Bassett on the bench was resulting in lots of wins, then go for it. But it’s not. Sure, they’ve been close several times, but they’re not winning.

Sarah0
    Participant

Mel Q

It’s quite known amongst coaches that it takes a special personality if you were to pick a shooter as captain. There is always so much pressure already shooting, without the added pressure of leadership as well.

Also sure, the players might vote for captain, but the coaches always have the final say…

NettySuperFan
    Participant

I think Ian’s point is more than valid. I think it is widely agreed upon that shooters have the greatest pressure on them, on the court. Defenders, and midcourters don’t have the same kind of pressure. This often makes them better suited to leadership roles, but it doesn’t necessarily means shooters will be bad leaders as well. I believe someone like Bueta would make a good leader, as a shooter, because although she plays will such atheltism and is very dynamic, she is also extremely calm and doesn’t get too frazzled by anything.

netballmum
    Participant

Part of the issue is that CBass has never “come off the bench” well – hence poor Caity Thwaites who should have been starting GS for most of the last cycle being a perennial bench sitter with a few minutes here and there – when her performances and combinations with the potential GAs and mid-courters being at least equal to CBass and providing more flexibility . (Please come out of retirement until Bueta returns).
    As someone in the twilight of her career CBass would have plenty to offer in the training environment & the real issue For Diamonds is succession planning which is something that Alexander maybe should have done more of in this area – Austin is obviously the anointed “young” shooter, but the only one, with Wood & Philip both also being in the twilight of their careers. Marinkovich will have to fast track some of the teenagers who have broken through this year – Horjus, Dwan, Allen – as well as the early 20’s generation who have been around for a couple of years – ATN, Ryde spring to mind.
    As far as Giants goes – Harten & CBass was NEVER going to work – both are shooters who like to dominate & have the game plan centred on them – well into the 2nd season together they “click” for a couple of minutes & then one or the other forgets the plan and they end up tripping over one another, clogging the circle and become ineffective.

Mel Q
    Participant

Don’t want to bang on but I will. LOL! The last Diamonds game CBass captained was the final game in the Constellation Cup in 2019. Oz won 53-46. Bassett scored 25 from 28. It was also her 100th international test. Not a bad result for a GS. So still not sure why some people think she wasn’t/isn’t a good captain. In 2019 she scored 492 goals for the Giants at 90% accuracy. She hasn’t had a decent run this year so not sure how anyone can decide she’s out of form. Just quietly, I think Julie F is out of form. Shh.

Jbss
    Participant

I don’t think Wood is in her twighlight years by a long shot shes in her late 20s which isn’t old when you’ve got Gevas playing at 35 IVD playing well past that etc..

For me the Diamonds have Glasgow Koenan and Garbin as the strongest contenders at GS over the next 4 years, all have the ability to play out at GA too if need be.
    Wood and Bueta are the incumbent GAs who still have a lot to offer and both can play back at GS where I particularly like Wood. The other GAs likely to push depending how much court time they get in the next couple of years are Austin Dwan Hodges(if someone gives her a look in) Allen and Horjus. There are a lot of exciting TPs coming through too but will probably have to wait for the next cycle unless they push for starting 7 in 2021 as there just isn’t enough time for someone to develop internationally and domestically. That worked with Rav but I personally believe someone should be the best in their team at their position before they are selected to the national team. Eg Austin needs to be starting GA for another season before she plays diamonds, Garbin needs to nail her 60 minute GS game rather than being an impact player(I must say her GA game for 60 mins has been good in the past)

al_ex
    Participant

If Austin doesn’t make Diamonds this year who will be the second GA? Wood is the only Australian playing GA for her team who isn’t new to the starting 7. Surely Philip and Teague-Neeld aren’t being taken into consideration…

Tully
    Participant

Austin will be in the Diamonds. The team not just the squad that is.

How big is the squad? 18? So let’s say 6 from each third.

So 6 shooters for the squad: Koenen, Wood, Austin, Bassett….. Thwaites if she wants it. Then I don’t know who. Garbin hasn’t had a great year. Glasgow hasn’t had the court time in her come back yet. Marinkovich May well put ATN in. Philip won’t be there. Maybe Dwan will be in there.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

The shooters are a real grey area this year for Diamonds. I would have Koenen, Wood, Austin, Bassett, Dwan, and Thwaites (if she wants it). If Thwaites doesn’t return then I have no idea what they will do because Horjus, Garbin, ATN, Glasgow, Allen are not there yet.

al_ex
    Participant

Unless something extraordinary happens (like Thwaites comes out of retirement or a player really steps up), I think Koenen, Bassett, Austin and Wood select themselves for the 12. I’d have Dwan in the wider squad and maybe Garbin if she plays better the next few rounds. If she doesn’t, they can have only 5 shooters and then 7 midcourters where the depth really lies. There’s always a lot of talk about ‘pride in the dress’ and not letting just anyone into the Diamonds program, but let’s not forget that players like Nevins and Manu’a have been in the fold without being standouts (and in Manu’a’s case it may well have been just to block her NZL eligibility).

Ian Harkin
    museboy
    Participant

I think CBass has another cycle left – she’s still accurate, but just not as dominant. She just needs to be a good foil to the GA like IVD was in the latter third of her career.

al_ex
    Participant

If Bassett is committed to the next cycle I think she should head to Collingwood (that’s if she doesn’t find herself back in the 7 at Giants). She’s definitely still in the Diamonds 12 as of this year, but another year on the bench and another year of development for Koenen, Glasgow, Garbin, Austin (plus the return of Bueta) and she may struggle to make the cut. Connecting with Medhurst, Browne, Brazill and building a connection with Jovic could reinvigorate her career. She was very close to signing with them in 2017 so it’s not something foreign.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Yes I wouldn’t mind seeing Bassett at Collingwood either but based on their dropping of Thwaites would they want to take her on?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia GIANTS NETBALL 2020