GIANTS NETBALL 2020

GIANTS NETBALL 20202020-03-07T21:02:16+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’d hope they’d want to take her on. They’re clearly looking for GS backup, else Ryde wouldn’t have played so much this year. Bassett has established connections with a number of their players and even if she’s not at her best she is still far more consistent than Nelson in my opinion. If those in charge of recruitment at Collingwood haven’t worked out that dropping Thwaites and making Nelson the entire focus of the attacking end was a mistake, maybe there needs to be some personnel change at the top.

TB
      Participant

Or she should go back to Lightning???‍♂️

Netballcrazy1
        Participant

I feel like she wouldn’t return to Lightning. They seem very comfortable developing Koenan and having Proscovia as a backup and I think Bassett has been quite clear that she moved to NSW to further her non-netball pursuits so if she moves to a new state I could only see it being Victoria (unless she wanted to return to WA)

Tully
          Participant

Well Collingwood are likely to pick up the wooden spoon so you would expect a roster overhaul. Had they brought through a bunch of young talent this year then you’d expect less of an overhaul but really with the exception of Jovic they haven’t unearthed anyone this year. Garrett is foundering and needs a new start. Ryde is not new. Sinclair is not new or that young. Altmann is in the same boat. Bragg and Black are ex Fury who Vixens never recruited.

Looking at Collingwood historically a revamp would mean big name recruitment so I can see them targeting Bassett. And bringing Rav and obviously Braz who is already signed back.

They have some young TPs who are just foundering like Lambden and Allen. It’s no surprise that Rainbow left and went back into the NV pathways.

englishrose21
              Participant

You’re all discussing where C-Bass will go next year but I’m sure she signed a 3 year deal with Giants? So has one more year to play out next year? Or are you assuming Giants will release her from her contract?
                I think if they continue with 12 next year they’d be wise to lee her and get her to improve/mentor the other GS squad member and any training partners.

Also I agree with Ian, it’s normally too much pressure for a goaler to be captain too. They need to prioritise their shooting before matches and trainings not captain duties. I know there has been some successful captains but often it is mid/defenders that are remembered as great captains.

al_ex
                Participant

CBass is contracted next year, I’m pretty sure she’s one of the only ones who is. But as we’ve seen it’s become relatively common place for contracts to be broken, and if CBass doesn’t feature much more going ahead this season I think that both parties may want to part ways. The Giants have two of the best U21 shooters in Australia as training partners and they may need to find money to keep Austin/Harten/Price/Parmenter/Brandley plus recruit some new defenders. I expect when CBass was signed she was one of the highest paid players and there’s no point burning the salary cap on a bench player. CBass herself may be looking for a change as well if she wants to reinvigorate her career and the Giants continue to not give her the full opportunity to do so.

Participant

I’m wondering whether CBass has already got a move planned and therefore Giants are using this time to develop Harten/Austin?
                    My other theory is it’s a mutual decision to load manage – lots of pregnancies in netball this year… could she be the next?

al_ex
                          Participant

Surely we’ll see Dwyer promoted. I’d love to see her get a run with Austin.

mcleod
                            Participant

Great move, CBass. Treated so bad this year.

Tully
                              Participant

Sophie Dwyer should get a contract. However, as for an Austin – Dwyer combination getting a go that would involve benching Harten. Can I see them doing that? No. Shame the combination would be beautiful to watch.

I hope Dwyer pursues opportunities elsewhere as she would probably get more court time elsewhere.

Most likely though Dwyer will be contracted at Giants.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 119 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top