Giants scramble – 6 players out with Covid, request to reschedule game denied

Giants scramble – 6 players out with Covid, request to reschedule game denied2022-03-31T16:00:06+10:00

Forums Australia Giants scramble – 6 players out with Covid, request to reschedule game denied

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yeah I don’t think referring to Giants squad of 18 is fair. Reality is that around 6 of those are probably at a similar level to state academy players that various clubs are aligned with like the NSW academy.

Re the unprofessionalism of a player going to another club temporarily and then return in, yeah but it is what it is if we want to minimise cancelled games, especially in a CWG year.

Kerryn
    Participant

over here the tp’s (an NNL players) put their hand up to go into a pool that can be used by any team if required – Greer Sinclair (stars tp) played for Mystics in the first round and then has played for Stars the past two weeks – if it can keep the games going, I think it actually shows their versatility and commitment to the sport – but in saying that I think it’s if 4 players in a team are out then it can be deferred (as we’ve seen a few times already) but it seems the NZ players/teams all seem to be branches of one big happy family so that may contribute to it working

Maryann
    Participant

Agreed @Kerryn – I also wondered if Cable Dixon and Iverson were part of the player pool.

enozlas
    Participant

Hadley out for the swifts after testing positive.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

@schmeetle @tully SSN and NA boards are now annoyingly merged so I assume the announcement becomes on behalf of both effectively.

@all-rounder
    sounds like you could be right, may not be as bad as we think.

enozlas
    Participant

The more I’ve thought about this, the more I think they have stuck to the guidelines. Whilst I know it’s frustrating – giants actually only have 3 of their contracted 10 unavailable. The rest are training partners.
    Now I’m not saying that makes it easy and not only is it 3 of their contracted 10, it’s 3 key starters which is a huge blow. But just unlucky more than anything I guess.

Tully
    Participant

After the intiial shock has passed you are exactly right Enozlas.

Giants have 3 contracted players out. They don’t meet either criteria for a postponement.

A lot depends on Amy Sligar. If she is not passed fit that is 3 midcourters that are unavailable. That would make the decision interesting and Kelly Ryan did say it’s a fluid situation and that they can change the decision if the information presented to them changes.

Although I suspect the 3 player per area of the court would be more likely to be utilised for shooters. Can move a GD to WD or a GA to WA. Whilst not ideal it is able to be done and a lot of players have experience doing that. Asking a WA to play GA though would be entirely different.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Tully.
    enozlas
    Participant

I also think they Giants played it up a bit too for hysteria… they announced 6 players out which built up the entire situation and made it seem to be far worse than it is. Automatically putting SSN/NA on the back foot in the eyes of the public.
    Again, not saying it’s easy, but just the way the world is at the moment so a little more transparency from the club from the outset would have gone a long way I think.

Tully
    Participant

Giants did definitely play it up. So did Cox and Green on Fox. Reading player statements by Giants’ players about precedent being set is interesting. What precedent is that? If you don’t meet the stated criteria you have no chance at a reschedule? If so then that’s a fair stance from NA/SSN. It’ll be interesting to see if a team does meet the criteria (either one or both) what decision is made.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Giants scramble – 6 players out with Covid, request to reschedule game denied