Grace Nweke inching closer to Silver Ferns, but goal attack remains a worry

Grace Nweke inching closer to Silver Ferns, but goal attack remains a worry2021-07-13T09:32:57+10:00

Forums New Zealand Grace Nweke inching closer to Silver Ferns, but goal attack remains a worry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Baller
    Participant

I read the article as Nweke is outstanding in her ‘core’ role (catch the ball and shoot). I think DNT would still need to fill in the gaps in her skillset. Though a smart coach would introduce her now in preparation for major tournaments.

mcleod
    Participant

If the Mystics win their next game, then that locks up the top spot.
    Maybe then a good chance to give Grace the next game off. She has played every minute of every game, surely the Mystics need a 2nd option if something happens to her. They have 4 shooters so use them

minkie
    Participant

I’d like to see Bayes and Vuli

mcleod
    Participant

Or Tui that combo worked well in pre season.

Kerryn
    Participant

Baller, the only way to know if she can stand up to the Aussie defence is for her to play against them, and even if it’s not a great success to start with, just look at Maia and how she started against them to where she was when she played them last time. I think with how far Grace has come in the past few seasons, and what seems like her a really good mental toughness (as well as physical) I’d actually be really interested to see how she would go against Bruce/Klau etc

Based on current form – could be the youngest shooting end the SF’s have had – Grace, Maia, Tiana, Aliyah, Khiana – I know not all are going to make it but are up there stats wise currently (I’m not including last nights game in that).

and mcleod, I would love Tui to get a chance to get some decent game time at GS – I think given the chance, she could be truly great (I was really hoping to see her, Tiana, Kihana, and Grace in the U21’s)

WeWood
    Participant

What I get from that article is that DNT thinks she can work with Bailey to get what the Ferns need out of her – which isn’t a replica of her current Mystics role.

The more I’m thinking, the shooters will be Nweke, Wilson, TPSR and Mes. Nweke is fresh, Wilson is shaky on current form and TPSR and Mes, while not in glowing form have been through the School of Taurua and have lots of experience. Another new GA or two might be too much new?

Anyone want to rebuff that with a some more learned voices?

minkie
    Participant

Agree with what you say WeWood, especially your first paragraph about Bailey.
    But what is her current Mystics role? Third feeder? For a GA? I’m totally baffled at what they’re wanting her to do.
    Agree 100% Noels will have the inside info and loads of ideas.

WeWood
    Participant

Minkie I saw a comment on here a little while ago where someone said Bailey was needed to calm that entire attacking third down. Toeava can either be hero or zero, and Earle feeds off that a bit. While Bailey’s shot is lacking, she certainly doesn’t shy away from the work out the front of Nweke.

minkie
    Participant

It’s a weird way of playing and certainly not helping her shooting form.

mcleod
    Participant

Maia prob had her worst shooting game in a very long time the other night.
    But she has struggled against Jane Watson over the years, the Watson/Burger combo would have got to any shooter that game
    Once back under Dame Noels and the Ferns Maia will be fine, being captain of a team that was looking a certain top 3
    team, to now one that most likely must win their next game, can’t be helping one bit.

I think Grace has the goods, but certainly not yet. Maybe in 3 years time

Baller
    Participant

Wilson was off from the very beginning of the game. I’m hoping whatever issues are holding her back she finds her rhythm again under Taurua.

I’ll be happy if Taurua used the
    Concup to build up experience rather than target the win. Whether the rookie SF is Nweke, Hume or Metuarau they are going to need court time. Just another reason to love the Cadbury series. Is there going to be a Cadbury series?

mcleod
    Participant

I think the Ferns are playing England (well hope to). So maybe no room for a Cadbury series.

Jinxibo
    Participant

Not sure if the Roses will be much of a test. Defensively we’re really weak.

Geva probably won’t be there. EUB may not travel, Quashie & Adio are injured so we don’t have an experienced GK.

mcleod
    Participant

England should be sending their top team, no reason not to.
    Mentor and Harten have not played for their country in 2 years.
    Both are having average SSN seasons. Could be their last chance to play before the Com Games in 12 months time.
    Is club Netball more important then playing against the world champs??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand Grace Nweke inching closer to Silver Ferns, but goal attack remains a worry