Inclusive girls’ netball uniforms create positive change on court

Inclusive girls’ netball uniforms create positive change on court2021-09-12T16:56:41+10:00

Forums Australia Inclusive girls’ netball uniforms create positive change on court

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hopefully this issue is gaining more momentum so everyone feels confident to play sport:

“Research from a Victoria University survey reveals girls feeling self-conscious in sport uniforms may be a reason girls’ participation rates in sport are so low, particularly compared to boys.

The survey showed that 85 per cent of respondents preferred shorts and t-shirts during outside school sports and 76 per cent wanted their sport uniform to make them feel ready to play.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-11/inclusive-netball-uniforms-to-grow-sport-participation/100446644?utm_source=abc_news_web&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_web

AllieC
    Participant

I would love to see uniforms where there is a choice. Shorts and tshirt (which is identical to the design of the dress) would easily work. I’ve seen in the Uniting Church comp in Adelaide (which is huge) uniforms where long sleeves/tights as well as headscarves are part of the uniform. It doesn’t make an iota of difference to the opposition but means that girls from all backgrounds can play. I got emotional seeing it.

furballthecat
    Participant

Completely agree AllieC! In the Fremantle competition in WA, there is an Islamic College who play and all of the girls wear long sleeves, long pants and headscarves. The other players do not mind, and it’s great to see them playing. They played against a junior team from my club, and during the game, one of the girls headscarves began to fall off. The girls from my junior team all stood around her and blocked her so that she could fix it and continue to play, and it was one of the most amazing moments I’ve seen on a netball court.

Definitely all for inclusive uniforms!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Inclusive girls’ netball uniforms create positive change on court