Inclusive uniforms a ‘watershed moment’ for NSW netball

Inclusive uniforms a ‘watershed moment’ for NSW netball2021-10-19T08:50:19+10:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

AllieC
      Participant

About time!! There is no reason for the archaic uniform rules that we have currently. Even some social comps I’ve seen have super rigid uniform rules. If you look at this pic in the article, if you were playing against them you wouldn’t even notice that they had variations because the tops are all the same.

Flb
        Participant

Totally agree AllieC. I know a young girl who stopped playing netball because she came from strict religious family and the uniform was a problem, it was terrible because she loved it so much. I have also known a few people who are very self-conscious in the uniform (the days of the leotard body suit thing didn’t help) and it was a deterrent to participation. I also think back to scungie checks – what on earth was that!?! And the policing of any player that dared to try and stay warm while wearing a small amount of lycra in the depths of winter by putting a skins top underneath. Sometimes I used to wonder whether they wanted people to play netball or if someone just got a kick out of super strict uniform rules for amateur sport.

Kerryn
          Participant

I think that’s awesome and should be implemented world wide!! I personally prefer to play in a skirt – no idea why – it’s really the only time in my life I wear a skirt, the two teams I’ve been in where I had to wear a dress I absolutely hated – I’m quite tall, but carry a bit’ve extra weight round the middle which dresses just cling to ‘shudders ‘ and I so agree that uniform rules need to be relaxed – one of the comps I played in recently even dictated that colour of underwear/socks had to be listed on entry form – as long as tops match – who gives a flying fluff what is underneath!!! jeepers in social summer league all that really matters is having the same colour bibs!!

AllieC
            Participant

I coached U13’s for a few years and so many of the girls were getting their periods for the first time and didn’t want to play in the dress as they were very self conscious. I had my own daughter in floods of tears before some games due to this. This is a crucial age to keep them engaged in the sport and often it’s something like uniform that stops them playing.

Kerryn
              Participant

@AllieC I always shudder when I see schools/rep teams (or even clubs with junior teams) with very light coloured uniforms (the bottom half at least) really not very well thought out!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Go to Top