Kiera Austin ACL injury adds heat to Marinkovich’s Diamonds tenure

Kiera Austin ACL injury adds heat to Marinkovich’s Diamonds tenure2021-05-05T12:09:18+10:00

Forums Australia Kiera Austin ACL injury adds heat to Marinkovich’s Diamonds tenure

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Great article, well explains all the different options and factors that will now play into selection. I know I put this on one of the other threads but I’d love to see the circle of Wood, Basset, Tippett one last time, with the addition of Koenan. Of course only if the combination between the three shooters (especially Wood) with Bassett can be recaptured. To me, if all of these shooters are in form, it’s the most logical circle with the least risk. Dwan, Garbin, Dwyer, Horjus etc. still need more experience.

sarahlove
    Participant

I am not convinced that we will see Bassett back in the Diamonds again, unless there really isn’t someone else to replace her. I think Koenan has taken her starting spot.
    I don’t think Bassett gets her name written down automatically in the squad either, like it probably was before (by that, I mean one of the first picked, almost an autoselection) and will need to prove it again to a new selection panel. In my opinion, her first couple of outings haven’t said “I am the best goal shooter, pick me.” Things could change though.

The shooter in the NZ comp that is standing out to me is Fisher for the Steel, from England. She is going to be amazing! Still pretty young too.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by sarahlove.
    JR
    Participant

I reckon with Wood returning from injury and Bueta returning from maternity leave, the GA position is wrapped up for the Diamonds in the foreseeable future.

Jinxibo
    Participant

I’m with @Sarahlove, I’m not sure we’ll see Cbass in gold n green again. Gone are the days when you could throw her on as an impact player and lob the ball in. SM tried that during the con cup and it didn’t work.

I assumed Bueta and Dwan were the Diamonds future. I didn’t see the whole game, how did it work out?

al_ex
    Participant

Koenen and Bueta are pretty much locks at this stage. Wood as well if she backs up the form she showed in R1. I think the rest of the spots will be about who steps up as a GS/GA. Garbin and Glasgow both impressed in their GA stints, I thought Garbin in particular calmed down the Swifts attack end excellently. Dwyer and the Vixens shooters will be getting a lot of court time. Dwan and Horjus were great last year. I think it will be one of the first two as Dwan is too much like Wood and Dwyer is probably too inexperienced (plus will probably be intensely focusing on super shots), but you never know.

If Bassett wants her spot back she needs to dominate in NZL. Making the Diamonds playing in a different league with different styles and combinations is very difficult. Right now she’s far from dominating, Magic were actually better when she was benched.

Ian Harkin

Australia’s best GS at the moment isn’t currently playing in Australia. And no, I don’t mean Bassett. I think this will be Bassett’s last year.

Marley08
    Participant

I’m thinking of 2 very good shooters playing in the VNL!

schmeetle
    Participant

@Ian
    It will be interesting to see if any SSN team pick up Donnell next year. Her form in VNL warrants more than a bench seat behind Jhaniele.

Ian Harkin

That’s why Fever made her a training partner despite her not being here for much of the year. They don’t want another SSN team grabbing her.

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

She has another year on her rhinos contract though? Can you break a contract like that?

Ian Harkin

It’s one of those things where they would be unlikely to stop her if she wished to come back to the SSN. But you never know. It did seem strange when she signed for 2 years. I thought at the time, surely SSN will come knocking after one?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Kiera Austin ACL injury adds heat to Marinkovich’s Diamonds tenure