Lightning coach calls Netball Australia’s Fever salary cap punishment soft

Lightning coach calls Netball Australia’s Fever salary cap punishment soft2021-05-17T08:31:58+10:00
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
      al_ex
      Participant

I think the punishment looks softer than it is because the Fever have started the season so dominantly. If it were the T’Birds or the Vixens they might not even reach 0 by the end of the season.

TB
        Participant

I feel like these comments should have been made, when it was first announced. Not after losing to them. It kind of comes off as sour grapes, because you lost.

In saying that, I do agree with the comments. IMO the imports should have been stood down for the first 3 rounds – not putting blame on the imports, but taking a privilege away from the club. I think that would hurt any team.

al_ex
          Participant

If they wanted to take away privileges they should have taken away home games or reduced their salary cap for future years. Taking out imports is treating them like second class players when they personally did nothing wrong, which is very very unfair.

TB
            Participant

Fair call.

I guess my point was, give a penalty that’ll actually hurt them. I think lowering the salary cap is a great one.

museboy
              Participant

Let’s be honest – the minor points ban is because they didn’t want to have one of the teams out of finals contention before the season even starts. They needed the Fever games to count otherwise one match in four would be pointless (in a literal and figurative sense).

Andrew Kennedy
                Participant

IAW Museboy. We don’t want dead rubbers so a team should be able to make finals even with the penalty. Most teams in first place get 11-12 wins out of 14, and fourth place is about 7-8 wins. So a great season coming “first” will see Fever scrape in.

Also, I don’t think she’s be complaining if it was Thunderbirds Vixens or Magpies who seem to already have no chance of finals.

Participant

I loved the comment on here that, if fever had had this penalty last season, they would have finished 7th…. so I guess when the powers that be make the decision that information would play a part of it. It has to be achievable to make finals but even last year, playing their best netball and being grand finalists, they wouldn’t have made it. So it should take something over and above that to overcome the penalty? Hard call though. I do agree that complaining now make Byrne look a bit sour grapesey…what’s done is done now and all….

snowy
                    Participant

While I agree that it does sound like sour grapes, lowering the salary cap for this year would have been an excellent idea as the majority of the current Fever team reaped the benefits of the team exceeding the salary cap.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Go to Top