Lightning coach concerned about league-wide mental fatigue

Lightning coach concerned about league-wide mental fatigue2021-07-19T22:30:39+10:00
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Story via The Netball Post.

Sunshine Coast Lightning coach Kylee Byrne is concerned that the day-to-day changes to the Suncorp Super Netball season are starting to take their toll on the league mentally.

The comments came after her side’s 59-49 loss to Queensland Firebirds at Nissan Arena, Brisbane, as Netball Australia waits to see what South Australia’s Stage 4 restrictions will mean for Adelaide’s Super Hub.

Coach Byrne said the lead-up to every game is taking a toll.

“We spoke before the game about desperation and passion, we knew that is what the Queensland Firebirds would have today. We knew [those things can] really motivate a team – but what all teams have gone through the past few weeks – not just us, I am watching teams who are really mentally fatigued,” she said post-game.

“The expectation is that every time you step out on court you have to be at your best for 60 minutes. And I am not actually sure that is possible at the moment.

“The lead-up for everyone is so emotional. It is the emotion that is so draining… look at what the Firebird went through.”

Firebirds lost shooter Tippah Dwan, who was excluded after she was told to self-isolate after being identified as a person in a Tier 1 exposure site, and keeper Tara Hinchcliffe to injury 24 hours before the match.

Even with all of the mental concerns for Lightning, coach Byrne also said she had four players being looked at – including star goaler Steph Wood.

With rumours of three matches condensed into just over a week ahead, seemingly confirmed by commentator Liz Ellis on commentary, questions will be asked about player management.

Game lengths may also be reviewed.

Despite everything happening around the match, coach Byrne said Lightning just didn’t put it together when it counted.

“In the end, we basically didn’t convert gains,” she said.

“We got 20 gains. That’s good but we sat around 40 per cent conversion and Firebirds will punish you – which they did.

“We kept doing the same thing and flogging a dead horse – it didn’t work.”

Both Firebirds and Lightning remain in the dark as to where and who the clubs will play next.

The Netball Post thanks The Goal Circle for the audio – listen to the show every Friday.

Netballcrazy1
      Participant

Nice to get this perspective.

One question, wasn’t really clear on this part: ‘ Even with all of the mental concerns for Lightning, coach Byrne also said she had four players being looked at – including star goaler Steph Wood’, what does she mean by ‘looked at’?

Joyjamie
        Participant

Tough for the players. Three games in a week is okay if match day squads are increased but think maybe the Swifts and Giants only have 10 players, so disadvantaged, this could be taken out of Suncorp hands if Adelaide gets lockdown this week though

joshuawells
          Participant

I believe she means ‘being looked at’ as in injured 🙁
            Hopefully minor.

JR
            Participant

South Australia going into a 7 day day lockdown at 6pm today. Hope that the teams get out before that; maybe to QLD to continue the competition? or home for a while with the rest of the competition postponed?

Joyjamie
              Participant

Think the teams are going to be stuck there for a week. Always felt strange that they were not moved to Queensland like the ARL teams. Problem is few teams are not in Adelaide like Fever etc. Too soon to talk about cancelling season too close to the end. One thing is certain will be condensed when restarts or maybe just jump straight to the finals

Tully
                Participant

Sarah Klau’s Instagram has the Awifts travelling to QLD. That was 30 minutes ago. But the QLD border to SA is closed. So not sure how that works.

The SSN has been caught out. What a mess. Logistical and financial mess. not to mention player and support staff welfare.

mcleod
                  Participant

Should have just come to New Zealand.

Netballcrazy1
                    Participant

Klau removed that fast, so maybe they’re not going? If they do fly over I’ll assume there’s some sort of travel exemption but still surprised there are flights available considering the border is closed to SA.

mcleod
                      Participant

They are of to Brisbane, flying tonight.

nanator
                        Participant

God, this must be so challenging for all the players. Ongoing lockdowns is hard enough for me sitting in my house and having to go to work. Imagine the additional stressors with physical fatigue, sporting pressures, selection woes.

I’m a huge netty fan – but a part of me just wants the season to end/take a break for the sake of everyone’s wellbeing.

Joyjamie
                          Participant

Would be nice to get some sort of Statement instead of the usual silence, Noticed few Swifts players like Moore and Fraser posted stories but they have been removed. Think the season needs to pause for a week and hope Adelaide will be okay. Feel for the players because you do not know what they are being told.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Go to Top