Lisa Alexander is gone

Lisa Alexander is gone2020-02-11T01:05:59+10:00

Forums Australia Lisa Alexander is gone

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Ian HarkinIan Harkin

Outgoing Australia netball coach Lisa Alexander reflects on her plans after the Diamonds job https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-15/what-next-for-outgoing-netball-australia-coach-lisa-alexander/11968968

mcleod
    Participant

It would not work being a SSN and Diamonds coach.
    Taurua managed it, but only because the ANZ started much earlier than the SSN in 2019, Noels was able to attend games before the SSN started, plus she had massive support from Deb Fuller and Netball NZ.

Ian HarkinIan Harkin

mcleod
    Participant

I’m still a bit confused, when did LA’s contract end?
    Was it end of 2020, or not.
    If it was end of 2020, then she was sacked..

Ian HarkinIan Harkin

As far as I know, the end of 2020. They said her contract wasn’t going to be renewed after that and they were going to advertise her position. Clearly they’ve come to a decision to end earlier than that.

But the fact is that she wanted to continue, and they wanted someone else. Use whatever language you like, surely that means she was basically sacked.

mcleod
    Participant

Thanks Ian, that is my take on it as well, LA hasn’t resigned like Southby did (resign or be sacked).
    LA is a very good coach, she had players in the WC who went missing in action in the WC final.
    Bruce, Price, Browne all had shocking games. The players also didn’t adjust to the umpires, the penalty count was something like 87 penalties against the Diamonds.
    Again that comes down to the players, they need to think for themselves, in SSN then can call a timeout and coach will tell them what to do. International Netball they need to think for themselves.

I also would like to know who made the decision, not to send a Diamonds team to the Nations cup last month.

Surely Netball Aussie could have sent a team, resting Liz Watson, CBass and couple others.

JR
    Participant

blimey, I cannot post something with links to the The Ticket podcast, or an interview Patricia Karvelas talking to Catherine Murphy on ABC RN Drive a few days ago about LA’s demise.

But on the front page of the Forum it says my post is the last one….this has been going on since 10am. Very flaky. (Now the front page is right because this post – without any links – did work!)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by JR.
    DiamondsFAN
    Participant

Yes the Nations cup would have been a great opportunity for the Diamonds. They could have sent an A team and given international exposure to younger players like England did. If Aus want to win the next two benchmark events, they need to start preparing the next layer need to start now. Particularly in the GS position, Cbass isn’t gonna be around forever.

Also, why do they keep saying that Lisa ‘stepped aside’ on the SSN and Diamonds websites. Clearly she’s been axed even though she wanted to continue her role.

mcleod
    Participant

Totally agree DiamondsFAN. Look at what NZ did with the retirement of 2 players from the WC and 2 having a rest!!!, they were able to blood new players like Wilson, Souness and Poi. All 3 in particular Maia Wilson took the chance and grabbed it.

If the Nations Cup continues in 2021, Australia might not get a invite, as Jamaica finally got a chance to play in a comp involving top teams, outside of the Com Games and WC. They will prob want to keep their spot. So Australia might not be wanted.

DiamondsFAN
    Participant

Exactly mcleod. New Zealand will be very successful in the coming few years because Dame Noeline Taurua is looking to the future and is managing the players very well. A few years ago, the Ferns would have been nothing without their four “fossils”.

Interesting with the Nations Cup though. There were a few mentions of the Diamonds attending a quad series sometime later this year. But that means Jamaica will miss out.

Jinxibo
    Participant

At the Nations Cup LA said that NA had agreed with the players union to give the players (she did not define if this was just the Diamonds squad) a break during the January after NWC and that was the reason they did not participate. She also implied that the Consolation Cup ;-) was a better competition.

JAM and AUS will be the key to the competition. Will JAM have the finances to continue? and will AUS want to be involved? Personally I don’t see why the Nations cup could not continue with 5 teams. Each team would play an extra game, but technically they should also have an extra break. The team at the bottom of the table would miss out on finals day :-)

Do we know if this comp counted toward INF ranking? As discussed AUS could have sent the “A” team, even if you didn’t win it wouldn’t have effected your ranking.

Ian HarkinIan Harkin

Yes, of course it counted towards world ranking. Don’t think ranking has anything to do with why Australia didn’t go. They just wanted a rest and they don’t like playing at that time of year, as it’s all out of whack with their preparation. I really think having 2 Quad Series a year is unsustainable. It should be only one a year.

Ian HarkinIan Harkin
    Ian HarkinIan Harkin

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Lisa Alexander is gone