Liz Ellis: The Mi Mi debacle can’t happen again

Liz Ellis: The Mi Mi debacle can’t happen again2020-09-25T12:09:59+10:00

Forums Australia Liz Ellis: The Mi Mi debacle can’t happen again

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant

There’s an interesting article by Peter FitzSimons on the Channel 9 website – turned up on my FB page. I can’t add links here for some reason, but it’s called “Peter FitzSimons lays blame for netball’s moment of ‘absolute madness'”

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Agree with Liz. poorly handled. Mi Mi deserved to go on based on her past form. I thought she had played well when she did get court time n previous games. Not a good look seeing her on the sideline in the last minute trying to sub on. This is on Jencke

JR
    Participant

The scenes at the end of today’s game were very emotional; so many Firebirds and Magpies players embracing a teary Mi Mi. Jenke gave her shoulder a pat. During the game Jenke did give a courtside interview with one of the commentators – Sue from memory. She was asked if she would have put Mi Mi on the court last week in retrospect (I cannot remember the exact question), but Jenke’s response was ‘that’s an interesting question and said her Job Description was ‘winning’. She’s already said she didn’t read the community feeling correctly, why shy away from that?

This on top of her coaching the defenders to wave their hands in front of shooters lining up for a shot and not coaching Jenner out of her rough play, I’m more and more disappointed with Jenke who I loved as a player.

NettySuperFan
    Participant

Heres my take:
    After the treatment of the Firebirds and Jenke this past weekend, why would any team want to sign a indigenous player ever again? No other team or coach was critised for not playing an indigenous player. It puts the coach in position where they feel they can’t actually play the team they think is best because they will be ripped to shreads for not playing their indigenous player. Over the past 3 or 4 rounds Dunkley had more than proven she deserved to be the starting, and finishing WA. Is Mi Mi a great player? Absolutely, but you’ve got to play your best team, and Dunkley is part of that team.
    I keep hearing the arguement, ‘but is was indigenous round’…. well why don’t we just go all out and only play indigenous players. You can’t play someone just based on their race. Could she have come on when Dunkley was cramping? Sure, but it should be because she’s a good player not because she is a certain race. I applaud Firebirds and Jenke for actually signing a indigenous player, its a lot more than ANY other club has done, or the league itself!
    Just like to finish this by saying, as a Firebirds fan, Mi Mi has been one of my favourites for a few years now, and I absolutely feel for her during this week. I hope she is holding up okay.

PickemPickem
    Participant

The Firebirds have been completely thrown under the bus on this. They’re an elite netball club, playing in the pinnacle competition for the sport in this country. Their primary job is to put the best team on the court and win matches in the Suncorp Super Netball.

Netball Australia should be feeling rather embarrassed at the moment because what happened in that Firebirds match last weekend exposed a glaring problem for which the bulk of responsibility rests with them as the sport’s governing body.
    How could any sport not feel completely embarrassed and exposed when an ‘indigenous round’ of their showpiece competition highlights the fact that there is only ONE indigenous player in that competition?

This is Netball Australia’s problem to fix, because the problem here is the lack of indigenous girls playing in their top tier competition. Why and how is this the case?

Clearly there is a disconnect somewhere between the junior ranks of netball, where indigenous girls are reasonably well represented, to the elite level, where there is currently only one player.

Netball Australia should’ve been on the front foot this week, publicly taking responsibility for this and deflecting the focus from the Firebirds.

Hopefully questions are being asked at Netball Australia now and plans are being put together as to how they can fix this glaring problem. The first goal of this plan should be an indigenous round in 2030 where numerous indigenous players are battling it out on the court trying to get a victory for their teams

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Pickem.
    netballmum
    Participant

I’m also a bit surprised that there is SO much coverage of this, given that last year MiMi was also the face of indigenous round and then even more embarrassingly not even included in the 10.

I get the angst about the under-representation, but at least the Firebirds currently have an indigenous player unlike everyone else. Why are more questions not being asked of the other franchises about their pathways and efforts And support to increase diversity From grassroots to elite level?

Cb98
    Participant

I agree that Netball Australia as a whole should be looking at what needs to be done to reduce the gap between representation in grassroots and junior levels and representation at the elite levels, and they should have stood up and taken responsibility. It really frustrated me that they made that statement earlier in the year after the interview with Beryl Friday, but didn’t seem to have any concrete action or even action plans by the time indigenous round arrived.

However, the Firebirds do deserve at least some scrutiny. Yes, they are one of the only teams to have an indigenous player. But that means they should be leading the way, especially given that they have had indigenous players in the past. At the very least, they should be learning from past mistakes. Mi Mi shouldn’t have to be developing their “cultural awareness” – if it’s her choice, then good for her, but it shouldn’t be her obligation. Finals weren’t on the line, the win didn’t matter, and they had an established precedent of rotating their midcourt earlier in the year. Even if the issue was Dunkley being the dominant WA for them, why not rest Cassidy and give Mi Mi a run out at centre? They also just couldn’t own up to making a mistake – no, “yeah, we screwed this up. here’s how we are supporting the player and planning to prevent this from happening again”. Instead it’s “we misread expectations, but we wanted the win and this is what our coaching staff and leadership group decided to do to get it” (and honestly, how shitty would you feel if you found out your coach and leaders thought they couldn’t win with you on the court in the round that means the most to you? no wonder Mi Mi was upset).

@netballmum
    – are you sure it was last year? Indigenous round was round 8 and champion data says Mi Mi played centre in that game

NettySuperFan
    Participant

On the flip side though, it would feel worse to know that the only reason you’ve got on court is because of your race, not because you’ve earned and proved that you deserve to be there. And then the next week your back off again because you weren’t actually part of the starting 7…

Cb98
    Participant

@NettySuperFan Sure, if she’d been put on and left on while having a shocking game. But otherwise, she was deserving and had earned it and proved that she deserved to be there. She’s not had a bad season, but Dunkley has shown that she should be the WA. So why not rest Cassidy and give Mi Mi a run at centre? The firebirds have almost over-rotated their midcourt in every other game, so why is it in indigenous round it becomes about getting the win at any cost? It’s not like she’s a training partner with hardly any experience, so why would she be undeserving?

mcleod
    Participant

IMO it would be wise to remove the Indigenous round.
    It do more harm than good.

PickemPickem
    Participant

^ Absolutely it does – it lays bare the disconnect that clearly exists between junior indigenous player development & the senior ranks of the sport in Australia

I find it staggering that nobody did a risk assessment when the idea to run an indigenous round in the SSN was first proposed

Jbss
    Participant

Netballmum, Mimi played last indigenous round. It was the year before that where she didn’t make the 10 and that was due to an ankle injury.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Liz Ellis: The Mi Mi debacle can’t happen again