MELBOURNE VIXENS 2020

MELBOURNE VIXENS 20202020-03-07T20:57:01+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 180 total)
  • Author

JR
      Participant

Oh boy, that’s two huge announcements.

I have been wondering if Tegan would retire after this year. Sad news in my opinion.

I thought Caitlin would retire and that’s sad news too.

Gosh I hope Vixens win this year, think it might take a year or more to build up the goaler team to the standard they are now. Thank goodness we have MJ still.

NetballNerd
        Participant

Wow! Two of the absolute greatest retiring 🙁

They can leave the game holding their heads so incredibly high.

Very curious to see who Vixens are thinking for GA next season. Anyone have any idea?

all-rounder
          Participant

CBass to Vixens – lots of post netball jobs opps in Melbourne
            Kumwenda out to GA, Simone turned Twaites into a great GA, she can do it with Kumwenda
            Dreams can come true lol

netballfan91
            Participant

I wish they could recruit Dwan or Austin…

schmeetle
              Participant

May be ATN would like to head back to Melbourne?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by schmeetle.
                Tully
                Participant

Two fabulous careers. Two wonderful ladies. Both will be missed. Congratulations on brilliant careers.

When Philip didn’t make the Aussie squad the other day I wondered why given the lack of depth there for Australia (her form aside) but was then told she didn’t nominate. So figured this coming ….

As for what Vixens will do, well Simone oversaw the changing of the guard in the defence end to Weston and Mannix and in the midcourt to Watson and Moloney. Now she will do the same with the shooting end with McMahon and Southby to help. These retirements aren’t a surprise even if Vixens probably didn’t expect to replace both at the same time. In saying that the Vixens have the best young shooting talent in Victoria. Victoria had two shooters in the recent u 21 Aussie squad (McDonald and Barkmeyer) both of whom are Vixens. They also have Uneeq Palavi in the Aus u 19 squad and of course Rahni Samason. COVID hasn’t helped their plans for Samason who they wanted to play full ANL and VNL seasons. None the less they may take the punt on her next year.

Vixens have a plan and they will sign one young VIC and one from interstate. Kumwenda won’t be playing GA.

Tully
                  Participant

ATN is under contract to Fever. Believe she signed a 3 year contract.

Netballcrazy1
                    Participant

Wow big news for Vixens, they should really take advantage of their very strong team this season because it will be harder to win a title in the next season or two.

So many options for who could go to Vixens. Outside of their own TPS you have Glasgow, Hodges, Allen, Samason, CBass, Stanton, Dwan (since Tippett is coming back). Not saying all of them are the right option but they do have a pool of youth to look too

Tully
                      Participant

Samason is in Vixens academy. She remains part of Vixens but they wanted her to play a full ANL and VNL season this year. But yeah COVID…. if she can get back to her best then she is the best young shooting talent in VIC. So they might take a punt but I’d say a TP spot is more likely for Samason.

I’d love to see them give Hodges a chance. Definitely Good enough for a SSN contract but for some reason TBirds don’t seem to rate her. To be honest I hadn’t even thought of her.

NettySuperFan
                        Participant

Absolutely amazing careers from both of these ladies! I’ve never heard a bad word said about Thwaites, and rightfully so. She has consintantly performed at a high standard, and had to sit behind Bassett for most of her career, but did it with such grace and humility. I have nothing but respect for her. Philip has had an amazing career as well. She’s certainly had her ups and down, but she can and should be very proud of what she has been able to acheive!!

As for replacements in 2021, I would prefer they look interstate to other shooters who be bench sitting in 2021 when they shouldnt be. Glasgow, Hodges, Dwan, Stanton, Garbin, Bassett, Allen.

Netballcrazy1
                          Participant

I hope they look interstate as well. So many GA/GS that are bench sitting that could learn so much getting court time and working with Watson/Kumwenda and the Vixens coaching staff

schmeetle
                            Participant

Didn’t someone suggest on another thread that Garbin was on the move from Swifts?

Tully
                              Participant

From what I have heard they are already well advanced with discussions with interstate shooters. Contracting discussions are well under way across the league. Bec Webster who manages the Vixens list is in Brisbane.

Realistically they are looking for a GA and a GA / GS. So that rules out Bassett. I also don’t really think Stanton is great at GA so she needs to find a team where she can play GS. MJ will be the GS though obviously.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Tully.
                                NettySuperFan
                                Participant

Ooooooooo. Thats exciting! I hope we get a heap of movement this offseason. Last offseason was very boring and lackluster

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 180 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top