MELBOURNE VIXENS 2021

MELBOURNE VIXENS 20212020-10-20T11:08:01+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ian, no idea. I’d have Dehaney starting at GK. I’ve always been critical of her position in the team but she is clearly their best GK right now. If she can’t get the start and good court time in this form Dehaney should move clubs next year. I’m sure FBs and Lightning would love her services.

Mundy is developing well and I would expect get a contract next year. So they need to let a defender go to do that. On form Dehaney isn’t who I would be letting go but I expect she will be the one to make way.

In Mannix’s defence she is coming back from hip surgery. Weston has IMO been their most consistent player so far and I was surprised to see that she is their highest NNP scorer given she doesn’t traditionally score that well (yes Dehaney would be the best if she was on more). Eddy has been disappointing. They should start Smith at WD and let her grow into a game to see what she can do there.

Interestingly on her IG stories Borger is a Vixens member. Odds of Vixens playing her for the last 3 or 4 rounds of the season at GA as a trial for next year? Gosh she looks fit! Personally I think it’d be worth a go as right now the only thing they are getting out of this year is Mundy’s development, which is great but only one thing. Dehaney establishing herself could be another but unlikely unless she is played more. I’m still holding out hope that Samason will get a game at some point….

al_ex
      Participant

Even after all these years playing on the wing, I still think Eddy is far more comfortable at GD. I’d be starting Dehaney/Weston/Smith and then playing Dehaney/Eddy/Weston for the second half. I don’t know what the solution is in the GA position, obviously Barkmeyer is better preparation for the future but Stanton seems to slot in better despite all the basic errors.

Will Vixens really drop Mannix? I think for the sake of their future it is probably better to, but I just don’t see them doing it. If Giants don’t win the Premiership this year I think JFitz might finally bite the bullet and find a replacement for Poolman, GK is their weakest position now. Dehaney would dominate.

JR
        Participant

Mannix is part of the leadership team. I would be very surprised if they let her go. The problem isn’t the Vixens defence.

Jinxibo
          Participant

I agree with @JR, defence isn’t the problem and hands off Kim Borger 🙂 she’s running the show in the VNSL.

Whatever happened to Charlie Hodges ?? Played for Stars over in NZ

Tully
            Participant

I’m not saying defense is their problem. It is clearly not. It is their strength. They do however need to reweight their squad as they have too many defenders. Watson will return in 2022 so if they wish to contract Mundy they will need to let a defender go.

I’m not saying they will let Mannix go. The opposite. I’m saying despite her form Dehaney may get squeezed out unless under the new players agreement squad sizes are increased.

Vixens have zero history with Hodges who is living in rural SA. The Vixens and McKinnis (via Aus u21s not just Vixens) have a long history with Borger. It was always her fitness that held her back but she is looking fitter than ever. Why wouldn’t she take another crack at SSN?

AllieC
              Participant

I would love to see Borger back. She has fantastic netball smarts and can play both GS and GA.

TB
                Participant

I agree! I think she’d form a great combination with Kumwenda.

I also agree with @Tully re Dehaney. I do think Firebirds could really benefit from having her.

Tully
                  Participant

Sharelle is on Vixens live tonight. They are advertising it as tune in to be the first to find out news on their updated team list?!?

Is shaz pulling on the dress?? She has been shooting super shots on IG :whistle:

Seriously though please be Samason. She was training with them earlier in the week. I was all excited we might see her later in the year but then thought the rushed departure to Brisbane might have derailed those plans. Of course they may have taken TPs as well.

Mundy just had her best game so far last week so don’t expect a change there.

Tully
                    Participant

Okay I’m going to start a rumour now….it’s Samason :whistle:

– Vixens flew to Brisbane Wednesday afternoon;
                      – VNL is played Wednesday evenings and Coffey, Cransberg, Honey and McDonald all played so didn’t go to Brisbane with the Vixens;
                      – Ariels got pumped by 21 and didn’t have Samason :whistle: :whistle:

al_ex
                      Participant

Stanton and Barkmeyer are in the Vixens official 10 for the week. That could theoretically change I guess but I expect Samason is just in Brisbane as a Training Partner/Injury Cover.

Tully
                        Participant

The tweet and IG say an update on the team list for this week.

all-rounder
                          Participant

Mannix out with an injured knuckle (potentially for e few weeks)
                            Samason is in the 10 – the way Sharelle is talking she will get game time too

Netballcrazy1
                            Participant

If Samason has a blinder, someone’s gotta go…

Tully
                              Participant

Whilst this is very unfortunate for Mannix it is a wonderful opportunity for Samason.

I really hope Samason gets the start and plays as we know she can. I agree if she plays well then she should be kept in the 10 even when Mannix returns.

Injuries seem to be getting quite regular for Mannix. Calf last season. Hip surgery in the off season and now her knuckle. Hmmm :whistle:

An awesome opportunity for Dehaney. I wouldn’t hesitate to try Weston – Eddy as well. They played really well in their one chance together last year against Fever.

amyrmy
                                Participant

Wow!!! Love a spicy little shake up, nothing to lose hey?
                                  Does she play both GA and GS?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top