My Ferns Squad 2020

My Ferns Squad 20202020-08-18T03:00:04+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Found this tough.
      I’ve gone with a squad of 18.
      Shooters:
      Ekenasio
      Wilson
      TPSR
      Bird
      Dunn
      Metarau
      (Any of those last 3 could easily be out if Noeline wants to pick Mes when she’s fit)

Middies:
      Langman (is available)
      Poi
      Crampton
      Saunders
      Winders
      Pederson
      Souness

Defence:
      Burger
      Rore (you’d be losing too much experience this year not to include her)
      Watson
      Temalisi
      Sulu

Starting seven would be:
      Dunn
      Ekenasio
      Crampton (but I’d like it to be Souness, love her game with Ekenasio)
      Langman
      Rore (I know I picked her as a defender)
      Burger
      Watson

Then 10 for development:
      Nweke
      Earle
      Elley
      Dunn
      Burley
      Jury (she hasn’t returned completely to form in my opinon)
      Hume (but could be A L-M)
      Heffernan
      Fifita
      Gordon

But I guess it depends who is for enough, if Dunn can’t meet the targets it really opens it up. Also not sure how Bird would go with the fitness targets and the fact she is only a GS.

englishrose21
      Participant

Also I still think Ekenasio is pregnant as I can’t understand why they said she was sick and then she was sat on the bench hugging the other players ?
        She would be a big loss.
        That’s if we even get any international games this year

Jinxibo
        Participant

Be very careful with that theory about Eke. Didn’t she name netball scoop in her “Pure as” doco ?? There was some type of rumour started by us or a netball scoop article :scratch:

Jinxibo
          Participant

Alex – No Watson and Tem have never played an international together. When they have played for the Ferns they both played GK.

But with Karaka out NT will want another option at GD. Someone on the forum pointed out that Rore, if selected will probably play WD. That only leaves Burger for GD.

Hmm i think that leaves the door open for Burley.

Jinxibo
            Participant

Mcleod – you said you picked your defenders based on ANZP form. Then why is Rore, who has consistently marked her GA out of games, not on your sheet but you’ve included Burley who is part of the “leakest” defence (I think that’s what Jenny Woods said )?

Jinxibo
              Participant

Waylay – thanks for the correction about the development squad numbers. That means I can include Ioane and Elley.

Jinxibo
                Participant

Angle40 – welcome to the forum :good:
                  Nice team, have to admit I forgot all about MSB. I fear she may never get back in the Ferns. She’s behind Burger and Rore for the WD bib. I feel she’ll miss out on the GD bib because of Burley, who seems just and quick and can “hop” higher

Jinxibo
                  Participant

Forgot to say, thanks for all the contributions. :heart:
                    It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who thinks about these things

nanator
                      Participant

My squad would be

Wilson, Ekenasio, TPSR, Mes, Dunn

Langman, Saunders, Crampton, Poi, Winders, Sounness, Pedersen

Burger, Watson, Fakahakatou, Rore, Jury

Development:
                        Nweke, Metaurau, Earle, MRB, Burley, Fifita

Mid court selection is tricky, Saunders, Langman and Crampton are the best in th business but question regarding commitment for the next cycle?

Metaurau really pushing for a spot in the Ferns squad for me.

Jinxibo
                        Participant

So the current development squad of 17 are:

Ellie Bird
                          Kate Burley
                          Aliyah Dunn
                          Tayla Earle
                          Abby Erwood
                          Temalisi Fakahokotau
                          Monica Falkner
                          Sulu Fitzpatrick
                          Holly Fowler
                          Maddy Gordon
                          Kate Heffernan
                          Kelly Jury
                          Claire Kersten
                          Tiana Metuarau
                          Erena Mikaere
                          Grace Nweke
                          Erikana Pedersen

Jinxibo
                          Participant

:scratch: Here is my final squad based on the ANZP final and current baby news. I have a main squad of 15 and development team of 12 (2 players returning from injury)

Shooters: Wilson, Ekenasio, TPSR, Dunn

Middies: Crampton, Poi, Winders, MRB, Langman, Saunders

Defenders: Burger, Watson, Rore, Jury, Fitzpatrick

Development:
                            Sounness, Pedersen, Fakahakatou, Nweke, Metaurau, Earle, Burley, Fifita, Falkner, Mes, Gordon, Kate Heffernan

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jinxibo.
                            • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jinxibo.
                            Jinxibo
                            Participant

OMG after all that I forgot Elley !

Okay out goes Fifita, she can work on her foot speed which in turn should lessen her penalty count 🙂 🙂

al_ex
                              Participant

After the final a few of my picks have shifted. There are just so many good attacking midcourters in NZL right now it’s impossible to decide. These lists don’t include players coming back from injury and pregnant as well!

I really don’t think the Ferns need 4 shooters for a series, and for me Poi is far more likely to make positive impact than TPSR.
                                Silver Ferns 12 (and 18 Squad)
                                Shooters
                                Wilson, Dunn, Ekenasio (TPSR, Metuarau)

Midcourters
                                Crampton, Poi, Saunders, Langman (Gordon, Pedersen, Winders)

Defenders
                                Burger, Rore, Watson, Fitzpatrick, Fakahokotau (Jury)

Development 10
                                Nweke, Latu-Meafou, Bird, MRB, Souness, Earle, Elley, Heffernan, Burley, Tong

WeWood
                                Participant

Finally logged back into my account to comment after a hiatus.

Silver Ferns squad (16)
                                  Dunn, Ekenasio (C), TPSR, Wilson
                                  Crampton, Gordon, Langman (VC), Pedersen, Poi, Saunders
                                  Burger, Jury, Fitzpatrick, Rore, Watson

My 2c worth.
                                  Attackers: Pick themselves. TPSR’s Grand Final performance wasn’t inspiring, but an injured Mes and Metuarau who hasn’t really fired shooting wise in her on court stints this year mean TPSR is retained in the squad, but as others have said may not make a game day team of 12 due to wanting more variety in the middle and defensively. I suspect the trainers will be taking to Dunn to work on her fitness – think, Wilson has had an incredible transformation in the last 12 months or so, what is Dunn capable of?

Mid court: While TPSR’s WA buddy (Pedersen) also had one to forget last night, on balance she’s had a blinder of an ANZP season. Reward also for Gordon and Poi to complement the experience of Crampton, Langman and Saunders.

Defence: Burger and Watson are starting defence pairing for mine. Jury, Fitzpatrick and Rore are picked because of form and combinations, but give Faka another few months in training and she’ll be back like a steam train. Also think Burley will benefit from being in the Ferns environment.

Development squad (10)
                                  Mes, Metuarau, Nweke
                                  Earle, Elley, Heffernan, MSB
                                  Burley, Fakahokotau, Tong

Taking Mes and MSB out, would replace with Tui and Souness in the Development squad.

No room for Ioane, Kersten, Mikaere, Reuelu-Buchanan, Souness (see above), Winders. Also no allowance for Karaka.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by WeWood.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top