NS EXCLUSIVE: Netball in the 2010s

NS EXCLUSIVE: Netball in the 2010s2021-02-08T08:39:29+10:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Part 1

By Ian Harkin

As we step into the 2020s, we here at Netball Scoop thought it was time to look back at the last 10 years in netball. Today we look at the years from 2010 to 2012.

When the decade began, netball fans were wondering when (or indeed if) Australia and New Zealand would ever be challenged. Other nations had been able to beat them on occasions, but not consistently and not on the biggest stage.

At the very start of 2010, England took it right up to Australia in an exciting three-match series that the Diamonds eventually won 2-1. But when it came time for the first major tournament of the decade, it was still Australia and New Zealand that found their way to the final.

The Commonwealth Games final in Delhi on Thursday, October 14 is still the longest match ever played. And it’s still the greatest. Not just of this past decade, but probably any decade. This was truly an epic contest between the sport’s two greatest rivals.

Read more… https://netballscoop.com/ns-exclusive-netball-in-the-2010s-part-1/

Photo Simon Leonard

amandalouise
      Participant

Thanks Ian, that brought back a lot of memories. I want to go back and watch many of those games again now! I’m looking forward to the rest of the series

Part 2

This is the second part of our look back at the past decade in netball. In Part 1 we reviewed 2010 to 2012. Today we look at the years from 2013 to 2016.

The year began with a Diamonds tour of England. Australia was not at full strength, at a bad stage in their preparation and playing away from home, but even so, coach Lisa Alexander made the bold statement that her side should beat England by ten goals. That comment came back to bite her.

An inspired England team roared on by incredible crowds, went on to claim their first-ever series victory over Australia with wins in the first two tests by five and two goals respectively. And, gathering in confidence as they went, they steamrolled the Diamonds in the final test by seven to make it a clean sweep.

England beating Australia 3-0 was something that had seemed totally implausible and unimaginable. But they had done it. Expectations were now high for England to perform at the highest level, with the Glasgow Commonwealth Games just 18 months away.

Read more… https://netballscoop.com/ns-exclusive-netball-in-the-2010s-part-2/

Photo Simon Leonard

Part 3

This is the third part of our look back at the past decade in netball. Today we look at 2017 and 2018.

2017 was the start of a new era. After nine seasons, the trans-Tasman competition, the ANZ Championship was no more. The two partners, Netball Australia and Netball New Zealand went their separate ways and reverted to their own national leagues.

In New Zealand, not an awful lot changed, with ANZ staying on as the sponsor and Sky Sport continuing on as the broadcaster. A new team was formed in Auckland, the Northern Stars, to create a six team competition, the ANZ Premiership.

But in Australia, there was a big change. The new competition, Suncorp Super Netball, was supported by a rich new television deal with the Nine Network and Telstra, and featured three new teams; Giants Netball, Collingwood Magpies and Sunshine Coast Lightning.

Read more… https://netballscoop.com/ns-exclusive-netball-in-the-2010s-part-3/

Photo Simon Leonard

Sorry about the LONG wait for part 4. Hope you enjoy it, and maybe you can go back and check out the first 3 parts again for some summer reading when there’s no netball on…

Part 4

In the final part of our look at the 2010s, we review 2019, wrap up the decade as a whole and take a look ahead to what might happen in the next 10 years.

The netball year began with a Quad Series played in England. It was a remarkable series, for it demonstrated how competitive netball has now become at the top level. All four countries recorded at least one win and no one was left undefeated. In the final match of the series, England backed up their Commonwealth Games success of the previous year by defeating Australia once again, this time 52-49.

That wasn’t enough for England to claim an overall series victory however, as the Roses had been surprisingly beaten by an ever-improving South Africa the previous day. Australia eventually took the Quad Series title on goal difference from England, while New Zealand finished third. The Ferns only just avoided the ignominy of finishing without a win, as they overcame the Proteas 62-60 in a sudden death extra time thriller.

Read more… https://netballscoop.com/ns-exclusive-netball-in-the-2010s-part-4/

JR
              Participant

Thanks Ian, a much much better read than finding out about the locally acquired COVID cases here in Melbourne after 60+ days of none.

StatsNerd21
                Participant

Sorry wasn’t sure what thread to post this in. Odd question but wondering if there were any 2017 POTM records? I was just rewatching the Lightning vs Vixens Round 2 game and I’d love to know who was MVP in that.

Sorry, I’m afraid I don’t know this. I mean, there would be a record of it somewhere I guess, but I don’t know where.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Go to Top