Netball Scoop World’s Best Netballer 2020

Netball Scoop World’s Best Netballer 20202022-01-09T11:10:16+10:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

By Ian Harkin

It has been a very different year in sport. Netball has certainly been adversely affected by COVID-19, with some competitions cancelled, some postponed, and all compromised in some way. But thanks to the tireless efforts of those involved, both the Suncorp Super Netball and ANZ Premiership seasons were able to be completed, along with a small amount of international netball. And we saw great players performing at their best in trying conditions.

So, we are back again with our annual poll to find the world’s best netballer. Once again, we have gathered the thoughts of ten judges; five writers from Netball Scoop (Jaimie Keay, Andrew Kennedy, Katrina Nissen, Jenny Sinclair and myself), and five other judges from the world of media and coaching (Lisa Alexander, Erin Delahunty, Liz Ellis, Tamsin Greenway and Bridget Tunnicliffe).

Each person was asked to list their top five netballers in the world based on form throughout 2020, and rank them from one to five. In total, 17 players got a mention, with four of them getting at least one top nod from the judges. Incredibly, when the votes were tallied up, the top three players were separated by just two votes. Any one of these three athletes would have been a very worthy winner, but to find out who took the crown, read on.

Andrew Kennedy
      Participant

Love it, Ian! Thanks for the great writeup.

I noticed a few things:

Votes for each position
        GS 43, GA 39, WA 30 (Watson only), C 9, WD 0, GD 14, GK 15

Wing defence is a thankless position! And Watson is a massive standout in all midcourters.
        Are we back to shooters getting all the votes like we used to complain about? Hehe – no I actually think that the shooters were truly dominant over defenders this year in general in SSN.

Number of votes and number of players voted for in SSN teams
        Vixens 57/5, Fever 36/2, Lightning 9/2, Swifts 0/0, Firebirds 0/0, Giants 3/1, T’birds 3/1, Magpies 2/1

Look at that Vixens front four – all nominated. Amazing unit. And look at how close Fever got with only 2 world class players compared to the Vixens’ 5 (actually I would add Mannix to that category). I’m going to argue that Courtney Bruce should be a lot higher on this list, look at how amazing she was to battle against the Vixens attack and do so well.

Ha ha, this is the fifth year we’ve done this, and the previous four winners were all defenders… Layton, Mentor, Mentor, Pretorius. I just think attacking players had the better of it this year.

JR
            Participant

Fantastic read. Thanks Ian and all the other judges.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Go to Top