NS PREVIEW: CONSTELLATION CUP 2021

NS PREVIEW: CONSTELLATION CUP 20212021-02-28T21:13:18+10:00
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ian Harkin, Katrina Nissen and Jaimie Keay take a look at the upcoming series between the NZ Silver Ferns and the Australian Diamonds…

TB
      Participant

I really don’t see the Ferns as clear favourites. I actually don’t see them as favourites at all.
        It’ll be Wilson and Sulu-Fitzpatrick first time (I think) starting against the Diamonds. Both players are in amazing form, coming up against Bruce and CBass will be another level.
        This is the first time IMO where there is no clear favourites. There’s too many variables (I think that’s the right word ?‍♂️), like how what kind of effect quarantine has on the Diamonds? Selecting 3 defenders was the right call? No crowd, no travel etc etc.

Looking forward to these games!

I reckon I went fairly close with my prediction, what do you think? Although the Aust attack end went a bit better than I expected…..

“I do think the Ferns will win this series, either 3-1 or 4-0, and Maia Wilson and Jane Watson will be the stars of the show, with the attack end being a problem area for the Diamonds”

TB
          Participant

I think you were very accurate ??

The player that surprised me the most, was Sulu-Fitzpatrick. I was generally impressed with the Ferns defence. But I did strongly feel going in with 3 defenders, two of them relatively “short” was going to be our undoing.

Sulu-Fitzpatrick, I thought her style of play wouldn’t really bother CBass. I expected CBass to dominate against her. However Noelines strict fitness rules really paid dividends. And Sulu really ran with it and had an outstanding series.

In saying all that, had I have known that Proud or Hadley were not going to be used…..I would have strongly favoured NZ. It still baffles me that they were never used ?‍♂️

Didn’t surprise me that much. I’ve never rated Hadley all that highly at international level. She’s great at club level, but she’s never done that much in test matches. And well, Proud always seems to be on the outer. I remember when she was the Aust U21 captain in a team that also included Ravaillion, Simpson and Hadley in the midcourt. They’ve all gone on to play for Australia quite a bit and Proud has never played a single test. I would definitely have had Proud in my team.

mcleod
              Participant

The WD spot seemed a issue for the Diamonds. Weston and Price did very little both seem to run out of gas.

TB
                Participant

I thought Weston had a great series out at WD.

Usually for a half. Just like Klau at goal keeper. She tended to go well for about a half there but then she tired and Wilson got right on top of her. They should have made changes at half time, especially in the fourth test, having seen what happened in the previous ones.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Go to Top