NZ Comm Games Team

NZ Comm Games Team2022-06-27T09:30:49+10:00

Forums New Zealand NZ Comm Games Team

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Participant

From the Newshub website..

“For defender Kayla Johnson, even making the squad was a shock.

“I’ve actually been really unwell and didn’t make it down to trials, so yeah, I was surprised to be named,” she said.”

Bugger me. Looking forward to this grand plan.

worsie
    Participant

Hmmmmmm…… DNT and YMcCD on speaking terms ?

Maryann
    Participant

@Kwkiwi interesting comment there that Pulse were the dominant team in the competition. Pulse actually won one less game than Stars and only one more than Mystics. They were also fortunate that they only ended up with one double header in the whole season, unlike some of the other teams and that of the three top teams Covid was not running rampant through their squad in the final weeks.
    When you talk about players past their peak think back to the World Cup – Kopua, Langman, Folau were hardly spring chickens. The same sort of formula has been used for this selection, experience in each of the thirds, leaders throughout the court mixed in with youth.

WeWood
    Participant

@worsie I was just thinking, would love an interview with YMD!

worsie
    Participant

Their approach just seems to be pole’s apart

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Interesting comment from Johnson on newshub that she didn’t even attend the trials…

@Maryann
    – hadn’t seen a more dominant performance in a finals like the Pulse did in the Anz final this year.
    Experience has certainly been picked over form. I don’t think any of the up and comers who were omitted have got a chance of being selected for the World Cup unless there are retirements. Some of the comm games will be interesting to watch, some of the more experienced players selected were not in form players. And several selected especially in the defence end seem a step slow to me.

Nesian
    Participant

@worsie I remember a couple of seasons ago when Nolene was sitting in with all the teams helping them. Pulse were the only team that said “no thanks”. Perhaps there is more to it?

Baller
    Participant

“We also play a certain style within the Silver Ferns. We’re not man-on-man defence, we’re zone, so you’ve got to be able to play that type of style, because that’s our point of difference against other countries, so the abilities and the skill set required is different from what happens at the Pulse.”
    Quote from DNT stuff article today. Kinda explains everything and I’m Pulse through and through.

Nate
    Participant

Interesting about Kayla.

Well Pulse do go away from the zone defence which is NZ style.

@Maryann
    good points there, Pulse ended up the healthiest team left i guess, had a whole week off at the end there.

I dont see noels having an issue with Pulse players as she has selected plenty before but just the defensive scheme they use.

Maryann
    Participant

Just had a thought, might see Saunders at WD. She’s played WD at International level before and certainly didn’t disgrace herself.

It wasn’t only Johnson who didnt attend trials, Nesian said one of the reserves didn’t either.

Ian Harkin
    WeWood
    Participant

1 News story about the Ferns isn’t loaded onto the website yet, tracked down the entire hour long news bulletin OnDemand to see what was said.

At the 45 minute mark for those who want to search it out.

Taurua:

Going to trials “I wasn’t excited”. I turned into a “psychotic woman” [great soundbites] and now “can’t wait to get out on court”.

“No one will see what we’re going to put out” [I’m sensing new positional/tactical approach?]

Baller
    Participant

The only homework other countries are going to be able to do on the SF is through the Cadbury Series. Huge advantage IMO. Loving the slight unpredictability.

minkie
    Participant

All I was told was ‘its a completely different mindset and game plan’
    Good on you, that tells me nothing lol :unsure: it might to you others more experienced in the history

mcleod
    Participant

Social media is firing up tonight, regarding Kayla’s free ride into the ferns. I’ll be watching the Cadbury series with interest, mainly to see how slow she is, and how many minutes she plays

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand NZ Comm Games Team