NZ Silver Ferns squad announcement today

NZ Silver Ferns squad announcement today2021-08-10T08:09:00+10:00

Forums New Zealand NZ Silver Ferns squad announcement today

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Mystics players weren’t allowed on court without making the 16.3 grade.
    Jury playing GD would have well helped her.
    Rore must be intending to sign with some franchise (read Magic) otherwise there would be no point in naming her even with her being on Maternity leave.
    If Johnson (Cullen) is intending to play I doubt the Mystics would be interested. She also hasn’t played in NZ for several years and isn’t known for doing a full season with continual injuries.
    With Watson having undergone surgery there will definitely be the chance for a development squad member to show that they are ready.
    I thought Poi had lost a bit of her spark this season. Not the standout that she has been. Hope she finds it again.

stars-supporter
    Participant

Anna Harrison hasn’t re-signed with the Stars yet, has she? Could be a slot open – I would welcome Cullen back with open arms.

Surprising to see Temu over Maihi in the development squad. Agree with others that it was strange to see Poi dropped and Kersten retained. Personally I would have also dropped Gordon.

Lovely to see Peta being rewarded with a call up. Also stoked Heffernan is in the mix. Lots to be excited about :yahoo:

Baller
    Participant

I think the team selection highlights NT is still trying to find the right combination for the C/WD position; Winders, Gordon, Kersten, Heffernan, Saunders.

TB
    Participant

I feel like Poi’s journey with the SFs, will be very similar to Temepara Baileys. I do hope come WC/CWG time she would have built her game up so strong, the selectors won’t have a choice but to pick her.

museboy
    Participant

Without Poi, they will be putting a lot of faith in Toeava on bring that midcourt speed. Toeava has yet to show that at a test level.

mcleod
    Participant

Toeava is to short for a international WA. The Aussie hands over defence style will tear her apart.

al_ex
    Participant

I don’t buy that Dunn is constantly failing fitness tests, I just don’t think the selectors rate her. She’s been playing at the top level for many seasons and has never had fitness issues. It’s such a shame she’s not even making the Development squads anymore, she should move to Australia and try SSN.

Poi not getting selected is so strange, not just because of form but also because of how impactful she was during CC. I’ve always found DNT’s selections very strange at times but they tend to work out for the best, so we’ll just have to see.

Ian Harkin

Kat
    Participant

I know I am not the coach but I think some of these selections are a bit strange.
    I don’t understand why Poi was not selected for the silver ferns. she has already proven herself on the international stage even though it has been brief. I know there is a lot of love for Toeava, and I sort of get why she has been selected because of her connection with Nweke. Wasn’t Toeava selected another time and her time on court was pretty average. I also think she is too short and very reckless sometimes. Hopefully Noeline can work her magic on her.

Just one more thing there are no natural Centres in this group, they were either WD or WA before moving to Centre. Interesting.

Can’t wait until the internationals and see how the silver ferns do against Australia. Hopefully travel between the two countries will be fine by then.

stars-supporter
    Participant

@al_ex – it might be easier to say who SHOULDN’T move to Australia and play SSN B-)

I wonder if Poi has been given some specific points to work on and there hasn’t been any growth?

Also forgot to mention earlier that Hume’s call up is a reflection of the hard work and improvement in her game during the 2021 season. She’s one who was a bit guilty of low percentages and being too relaxed on court – her game has matured a lot and I’ve really been impressed at how she stepped up when Maia’s shooting game fell away.

WeWood
    Participant

Taurua talking about Wilson being an option at GA in that RNZ article and playing as a ‘ball carrier’.

Gee whizz..

Maryann
    Participant

So –

Peta Toeava is 169cm
    Kimiora Poi is 168cm

Wilson has always known that Taurua wanted her to play GA.

Waylay
    Participant

Poi was disappointing early on in the season but she lifted later. The games that the Tactix played without Te Paea were an opportunity for Poi to step up and she simply didn’t. The Tactix rely heavily on their GA to do a heap of work in the attacking third. Poi still has a lot to work on in attack, she was superb in defence though.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Waylay.
    Kat
    Participant

Thanks for that Maryann, I always thought Toeava was a lot shorter than that. She appears a lot shorter than that when I have watched her play on TV. Maybe because the WD are taller than the Centres Poi plays against.

I knew Poi was 168cm so still short, in terms of netball.

So did Toeava play for the Ferns already?

Flb
    Participant

Like everyone I am surprised by Poi’s omission. Hopefully she will be elevated to the Ferns.
    In terms of Toeava, I think she offers something different, but she turns the ball over too often and I don’t think it will be a good matchup with the Diamonds or Roses for the Ferns.
    Perhaps Sulu for captain?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand NZ Silver Ferns squad announcement today