2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus

2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus2021-11-23T19:11:43+10:00

Forums International 2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yes 49-46. England got to a 5 goal lead at one stage.

Tully
    Participant

I haven’t seen the South Africa game only the NZ game so am interested in some thoughts on the Diamonds from those that have.

Turner v Aryang? Who stood out? I feel like they may be fighting for the same spot in the Comm Games Team.

Moloney v Price? Same as above looks like they will be fighting for the same spot on the Comm Games Team. Happy to read Moloney played WD, she has been training there for Vixens so we may see her switch more between C and WD this year. I would expect that would help her form as it’s easily her stronger position IMO. As I said I haven’t seen the match but based on their SSN seasons Price should be ahead.

Does the current shooting line up have enough back up for Bueta? Looks to me like Bueta, Wood and Koenen are locks. If Bueta is the starting GS and also back up GA is that too much of a load on her? Sure moving Bueta out let’s them rest Wood which is great but then when can Bueta be rested over a tournament? On balance the 4th shooter needs to be more comfortable at GA for me. I can’t help but think there is a reason they selected Austin in the Diamonds squad despite her injury. They just selected Watson for this tour despite having not played since Conn Cup so a similar scenario re return to play.

all-rounder
    Participant

My two cents on SA vs AUS game
    Shooting circle took more time to gel in first quarter than first game. Gretel was running around more and came out of circle more and crowded the space. Wood played well again. I thought Moloney had a solid game (although a few loose balls). She and Hadley are quite similar in that they provide good dependable back up play to a strong WA (like Watson who wasn’t in this game). Hadley played more like a C. JLP appeared to throw a lot of ball away when she came on (in both games). Moloney did well in WD when she came on there and would have her before JLP.
    Aryang I feel marked the GA better and got her hand to a few more balls (haven’t checked GA stats tho. She had a good maiden game. Turner looked a little lost playing with unfamiliar Bruce rather than Klau. Aryang was introduced with her regular pairing with Bruce.
    I would suggest (particularly if Dwyer doesn’t get much game time against ENG) that if Austin has a strong SSN then she will be the 4th shooter and GA back up.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by all-rounder.
    Ian Harkin

Tully… Admittedly, they were only playing SA, but the combo of Garbin at GS and Bueta at GA was very good. So exciting. If anything, Koenen has been the least impressive shooter so far. But she hasn’t been given much court time, and none with Wood.

NB12
    Participant

Yes – Garbin and Bueta was excellent and exciting. They are both so strong and they didn’t seem to just rely on the aerial game.

It’s as if Stacey is happy with knowing Koenen has a combination with Wood and that she was really happy with what she produced in the Con Cup, or now that Bueta is back, she wants to centre the game around her and I’m not sure Koenen fits into that plan.

Ian Harkin

I’m sorry guys. I was busy and forgot to post the final score and wrap up.

Iheartdiamonds
    Participant

I’m not sold on moloney and definitely not price. I think rav’s experience and play would be better.

Wouldn’t mind seeing wood and konen, really enjoyed garbin and Gretel.

Sunday had a good debut, would like to klau get more court time, Bruce hasn’t done anything special at all

Ian Harkin
    Netballcrazy1
    Participant

If Austin has a good SSN (especially at GA) I wouldn’t be surprised to see her in place of one of Koenan or Garbin (depending on how the final test and SSN go for those two as well).
    I think it would’ve been nice to have one of Rav or Proud in this squad as a back up C and to test them out because I personally see Price and Moloney as being stronger back at WD and I would’ve only really taken one of them as Brazill and Weston both cover WD very well too. That also would’ve allowed Proud and Rav, who are really strong at C, to also help with WA cover (which Proud is quite good at as well). But oh well, guess we won’t get to see that unless they have a killer season and SM does a 180.
    In terms of defence I’m interested to see what happens with Turner. When she and Klau click it’s amazing and because of Turner’s style of play and the way they read off each other, I can understand why she might take some time to gel with Bruce but if they don’t mix well this could cost her a CWG spot with Aryang getting in over her.

TB
    Participant

I’m predicting that Bailey Mes makes the CWG team.

If she has a good season with Magic, and combining well with Ekenasio, that’ll give her a strong case to be re-selected. She also has a good connection with Nweke.

The Ferns shooting circle is lacking experience. (Fit) Ekenasio and Mes would bring balance to that circle.

Poi needs to be at the CWG. PERIODT.

Tully
    Participant

Interesting thoughts re Garbin and Koenen and in this series Garbin is ahead. I had placed Koenen ahead based on her Conn Cup performances, SSN form and combination with Wood. But yep Garbin could be working her way ahead and as I said haven’t watched the game! Still not sold on taking both to Comm Games. We shall all find out in time!!

As for Moloney being stronger than Price on current performances the team selection for the England game should give us a good idea of Marinkovich’s thoughts.

Thanks guys :-)

Brig
    Participant

Was pretty happy to see Koenen and Garbin in the ring for a few minutes too, they looked pretty great! 3 tall mobile GS who have all been pushed to play a lot of GA in their SSN teams, plus Wood who also plays a mean GS. It is a lot of variety for the defenders to set up against, as they all are very comfortable changing up holding and driving and play making. I thought Hadley and Garbin looked like they had a stronger connection. Wood looked a little less spectacular in the 2nd game but perhaps I also agreed with Kim Green in commentary saying that the midcourters needed to do more work, be more clear about their drive in that first half when Wood was on.

I think that Sunday Aryang had a very good debut- she was impressive and intimidating, great footwork, covering the drives well, looked super keen and comfortable with the intensity. Turner was good but Bruce did not come out firing as she was game 1 and I think that it made Turner tighten up a little. Turner was solid and effective. The South Africans were so good in that circle- just showed up for game 2, and played some fearless netty.

So was a great challenge for the Diamonds and something that will be reassuring for the squad that they can play out of sticky patches, and perhaps handle loss of form or (tap on wood) any stray injuries for the tournament later in the year. And that the squad can play as a unit, with clear structures and clever ideas well executed in both attack and defence was great to see too.

Ian Harkin

It will be interesting to see what happens next game as it’s basically meaningless in the context of the whole series.

Ian Harkin

After the Con Cup, yes, I would have had Koenen well in front. Maybe the coach is already confident in her and has been trialling the others. Of course it’s easy to forget neither Bueta or Wood were at the Con Cup, so they automatically go to the top of the pile. Then there’s Austin and Dwyer. And Wallam and Bassett aren’t even mentioned!

Ian Harkin

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus