2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus

2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus2021-11-23T19:11:43+10:00

Forums International 2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yes, that is true! How odd! both games will be on repeat for as the finals to determine the winner of the series and presumably places for 3/4 too like some strange 2 test series.

Great article write up of Round 2- LOVED the photos, especially the one with Nweke, Metuarau, Guscoth and EUB all looking up at the ball in hope!

Baller
    Participant

Yes Ian, I was wondered what the different coaches tactics might be for round 3. Do you test/experiment with your bench players or start with your strongest 7 and go for the win?

K2
    Participant

Great game against SA. I loved Bueta and Garbin. Garbin reminds me of that time Bulley got picked for the Diamonds World Cup team on the basis of being a really good bench player for the Firebirds (when she was behind McMenamin and Geitz) – the Diamonds needed someone who was good at coming on court and performing in tough situations, not someone who was used to be starting 7. I think that is Garbins special skill she can’t bring to Diamonds now – she is used to fighting for court time and having to perform well off the bench.

Aryang is such a prodigious talent, loved watching her debut

Ian Harkin

JR
    Participant

For a C I think Moloney is a much better WD. She floats behind her player in the goal third too often rather than driving to the circle. She does this a lot when playing for the Vixens which makes sense when she’s playing with Watson. I cannot see what decision makers see in her in the C position, especially in the last 2021 SSN season. And today’s combo with Hadley didn’t work.

I think Proud should be brought in for either JLP or Moloney. This will offer more cover for WA. And Hadley plays WD as well as C and WA in the SSN so that offers cover for WD for Braz, along with Weston too. Braz and Proud play C really dynamically. Useful for when Watson is not on the court.

Great to see Aryang have a great first game; shame that Turner and Klau weren’t afforded game time together like Bruce and Aryang.

Thought Msomi and Venter were good to watch in the first game especially in the first half.

Glad to see the games were much closer today, albeit with that blow out in the last quarter of the Proteas – Diamonds game.

JR
    Participant

Bueta can be rested by having either Koenen or Garbin in GS.

Maryann
    Participant

TB – I’m not sure that Mes will make herself available for selection for the Ferns again. Its been two? years since she injured her knee and has struggled with injury since. But as you say her experience would be invaluable.

WeWood
    Participant

I think Mes going to the Magic shows her intent she wants one last crack at the Ferns. The easy option (beside retirement) would have been to stay put and split GA with Vui?

I’m interested to see Mes paired with a GA who will genuinely work with her and look to her in the circle as the first option.

Her amazing elevation both on the take and the rebound aside, I’d love to see Mes bring the sort of movement to her game Folau developed in 2018/19. She could become even more lethal (both for Magic, and if she makes herself available, the Ferns).

JR
    Participant

Just read the excellent recap of Round 2 posted around 3pm. Thanks to the writers.

A query, there are 5 centre court players at this comp for the Diamonds – Watson, Brazill, Hadley, Moloney and Price. In the article I got the impression that there will only be 4 at CWG. Is that the case?

My thoughts above were based on there being 5 – Watson, Brazill, Hadley, Proud and one of Moloney or Price. If it’s only 4 I would definitely go for Proud instead of both of Moloney and Proud. There needs to be good back up for Watson at WA, and not necessarily Wood.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by JR.
    NB12
    Participant

JR – yes only 12 players can go to CWG. It will most likely be a 4/4/4 split across the court.

JR
    Participant

Thanks NB12.

I liked in the Round 2 recap more experienced netty watchers wondered if SM would pick someone for the Centre court for CWG that’s not playing in this comp.

NB12
    Participant

I wonder if they have Austin in the back or their mind at WA back up, as well as Wood.

I, like most would prefer Proud to be there.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

@JR I definitely agree with a lot of your comments. I do wonder who is seeing Moloney as an international level C, especially after the most recent SSN season where she really struggled to step up.

I also would be interested to see if SM has the guts to throw a squad member in after a strong SSN season but I feel like she won’t. Again this worries me in Proud’s situation as Watson will become worn out really fast at CWG if she’s playing 4 quarters every game with one only decent WA back up who’s first position isn’t even that position. I feel annoying going on and on about it but I’m really bothered by the selectors’ decision in regard to mid court. It simply feels unbalanced and risky going into a intense tournament with so many back to back matches.

I hope we see Turner/Klau a bit in this third match and maybe a little bit more experimentation as well across the court. Diamonds have had little match play for the last few years so this is the best chance to test combination out and get out the nerves of newer players.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

That being said I would like to see Wood at WA for a solid half to see how that would actually work. Not worth waiting until CWG to see whether the combinations there are strong enough. Too risky.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

That being said I would like to see Wood at WA for a solid half to see how that would actually work. Not worth waiting until CWG to see whether the combinations there are strong enough. Too risky.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2022 QUAD SERIES – (Jan) Eng/SA/NZ/Aus