Rob Wright not offered a new contract

Rob Wright not offered a new contract2020-09-29T12:44:38+10:00

Forums Australia Rob Wright not offered a new contract

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m glad Julie Fitzgerald didn’t get the Diamonds job (if she applied). I think she is past her prime and hasn’t really taken Giants anywhere close to potential, I feel the same with McKinnis at Vixens
    But to be fair to Julie I don’t rate Poolman at all and think she is quite ineffective most games but gets a few deflections or intercepts and everyone thinks she is amazing

Waylay
    Participant

Disappointing for Rob Wright but the right call I think.

On the topic of JFitz, I don’t think the Giants are ever going to make finals with their defence line. The in-circle defenders simply do not turn enough ball over. They are competitive because their WD and C take most of their team’s intercepts but they won’t be the best unless they either sign a top notch in circle defender. JFitz needs to go to work there and get her hands on one.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Waylay.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Waylay.
    al_ex
    Participant

I agree @Waylay. Although having said that I think she has some good defensive options, but has been preferencing the wrong players. Brandley and McDonell have shown more signs of playing at a really high level than Manu’a and Poolman have in my opinion. If she signed those two and then brought Dehaney up from Melbourne I think there are the workings of a really good back line. Throw in O’Shannassy as a TP while she recovers from glandular fever and the future is a bit brighter for the defence end.

Bluebird
    Participant

Magpies played really well last season when Wright was away and the assist coaches let the players get on with it instead of calling time outs all the time.

Zara Collings
    Participant

With Rob leaving pies I hope it encourages some of the younger players like Allen to stick around and hopefully get more court time. I really rated Gabi Sinclair this year and if they can sign a stronger GS to take the load off Nelson I think their shooting end could do really well. Hate to say it because I’d hate to lose her at Swifts, but Garbin could be great at Collingwood now she is improving her moving shooter game. She’s also so strong in the air! But I shouldn’t even say it because I’d hate the swifts to lose her!

JH
    Participant

I would like to think they have some idea of who the coach is as it would be pretty shady to sign players on with no clue who their coach would be.

Maybe wishful thinking on their behalf haha.

englishrose21
    Participant

I think a coach can change the culture though, if they’re a strong leader! Maybe it would be good for LA to get in there. Get some sisters in arms action. Also I don’t think she’d let them ignore her in the huddle 😂

Completely agree @waylay
    Although I do like Manu’a she just doesn’t work with Poolman. Dehaney would be a great replacement for Poolman. I wonder what will happen with the defence end next year with teams staying at 10? I don’t know how I would pick 3. I’ve really like when Tilly M has had game time.

The more I think about it the more I think Stacey as diamonds coach was a great move. The others that put their hands up could have been the coach 5 years ago but I think their coaching isn’t as great now

Tully
    Participant

The most likely scenario to fit Brandley in the 10 is to drop O’Shannessy back to a TP. Then they can retain all 4 of Brandley, Manu’a, Poolman and McDonnell. McDonnell is clearly a Fitzgerald project and won’t be going anywhere. I’d be surprised if they don’t have those 4 defenders again.

As for LA I listened to a podcast which was fairly recent. LA spoke about wanting to move into coaching director roles in particular with the AFL. That’s not to say she won’t put her hand up.

I suspect Kate Upton will want the job. Has held head coaching roles in VNL and Victoria. She is very popular among players in VIC.

Vicki Wilson has also spoke of wanting to coach at SSN level.

NettySuperFan
    Participant

I really hope they drop Manu’a. She needs to move to a different club I think. They should work around Brandley to form their defensive line, with Poolman and McDonell, and O’Shannassy if they still want to go with a 4 defender team.

Tully
    Participant

Fitzgerald drop Manu’a? Nah she is the reason Manu’a was selected for the all stars team over the likes of Jenner, Hinchliffe, Eddy, Shimmin etc

TACTIXSUPPORTER
    Participant

Manua is better at GK.
    Won’t make it to the Diamonds as a GD.

Vicki Wilson is in the London Pulse coaching team so she won’t be the replacement coach at Magpies.

TB
    Participant

It would be good to see JWT back coaching, thought she was great with Tbirds. Would have liked to see her as the Diamonds coach too.

netballislife
    Participant

Anyone heard all the Pies staff been cleared out – the very keen assistants and the manager and other staff as well. JWT moved them all on!! It’s not just Rob.

Jbss
    Participant

Are they panicking or what? I think the assistants have seemed quite good from has been shown but anyway I guess we never know what has happened behind the scenes.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Wow, well they must have made the right decision since they convinced Mentor to stick around and made some other signings.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Rob Wright not offered a new contract