Search for new Diamonds coach resumes

Search for new Diamonds coach resumes2020-06-19T09:06:39+10:00

Forums Australia Search for new Diamonds coach resumes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Jinxibo
    Participant

August is almost over :yes: any news, gossip or speculation ??

James
    Participant

I really hope it’s not McKinnis. She has had a team of Diamonds for the last few years and has done nothing with them
    Yes they are able to make finals but Alexander made finals as well. McKinnis can’t seem to get her teams over the line in the big one
    Even after last nights game she had 6 current or recently retired Diamonds and one on the cusp of Diamonds selection so you would think they would be better then they were, her game plan doesn’t seem to work

Zara Collings
    Participant

I’d be interested to know other than Fitzgerald and McKinnes who the other speculated applicants are? As a netty fan from the UK these are the only two I’ve read much speculation about?

Tully
    Participant

I believe that Vicki Wilson applied. At least she said she was going to.

al_ex
    Participant

I’m really not sure who would be the best option. Traditionally I would have said Fitzgerald but I don’t think she’s suited to tournament-style coaching and I think her management in general has gone down in recent years. McKinnis has had a team that should have won arguably every year but couldn’t deliver when it matters. Given the Diamonds lost two major event finals by one goal, I don’t think she’s the right choice. Jencke managed to create a winning culture but also gave Ekenasio 0 minutes in her second season on the Firebirds bench. JWT also managed to win, but has her own issues from T’Birds days. It will be very interesting to see who comes through! I think the next coaching generation with Akle, Byrne, Richardson, Obst etc. is actually a bit stronger.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I don’t like the idea of McKinnis, Fitzgerald, or Jenke as Diamonds coach. I think any of the other SSN coaches would be better but even then I think there’s a few coaches who stand out like Akle. Fingers crossed they make the right decision with selecting a coach.

JR
    Participant

I think Akle would be a great choice.

I agree with others’ comments about McKinnis and the Vixens; as a member they can be frustrating to watch and disappointing in their final results at the end of the season.

James
    Participant

And please no to Wright
    I actually think a relative unknown kind of like Alexander when she came on the scene would be a good option
    Byrne and Akle will want to stay with franchises, I believe Akle is better at having long term teams to build culture etc and not having Diamonds all year might be bad for her

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I think the Diamonds coach, if they are an SSN coach, would be encouraged to stick with their franchise so that may not be a dealbreaker for SSN candidates. I personally think of the SSN coaches, Akle and Byrne would be up there, and even maybe Obst or Wright but I’m not saying I would agree with some of those candidates as being Head Diamonds coach. And I’m pretty sure Obst has been working with the English ROses recently.

Tully
    Participant

This is the top coaching job in Australian netball. Does Akle have the experience? One day perhaps but still a bit raw. Anyway she said she wasn’t going to apply.
    I would say Obst has more experience when you factor in England, the U 21s and Giants and May be considered ahead.

Whoever it is I hope they surround themselves with the best experienced assistants. One theory is Lisa A had less experienced assistants because she wanted players who had played internationally which is something she hadn’t. Who knows but whoever it is I believe needs a strong team.

As for McKinnis having a team of Diamonds that should have won more. Majority are fringe Diamonds with the exception of Watson, Weston and Thwaites. McKinnis can take a lot of credit for the development of Watson, Moloney, Weston and Mannix who have all come through under her watch.

Akle won a title with Wallace, Housby, Hadley, Rore and Haythornthwaite all of whom were internationals when Akle started coaching them and Klau and Turner who have debuted internationally under her (as much as I am not a Rob Wright I will credit him with Turner). So again you could say that’s a line up of champions.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Tully.
    schmeetle
    Participant

Tamsin Greenway.

The Diamonds need a shake-up, something different, not the expected or assumed SSN coach elevated to national coach. Move on from the “same old, same old” thinking.

At this stage of team and player development, with no major international events scheduled for any time soon (are we even going to have a Constellation Cup this year?) it’s time for a long-term plan.

Diamonds (and national set-up) require either a VERY experienced head coach (like Plum of 10 years ago) or an out-of-the box strategic thinker to combat Dame Noels who by all accounts coming out of NZ, is going to be around for many years yet as SF coach.

Tamsin has definitely proven to be a very strategic analyst of the game, and by applying for the Roses job (but being knocked back) has indicated she is ready to step up and commit to a long-term head coach role. By not being aligned to any of the SSN teams or State set-ups she will be truly unbiased.

Now, we just need to figure out how to get her and her family through the international travel restrictions :scratch: but hey, if the Australian cricket team can travel to and from Australia-UK, surely the new Diamonds head coach can?!?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by schmeetle.
    AllieC
    Participant

Greenway has taken on the job of coaching Scotland so she isn’t in the picture. There is no need to take on someone that is from overseas when there are options here. I like her, she is a great analyst and she has a great coaching future but is still pretty inexperienced as a coach. One thing I didn’t like before the Roses new head coach was announced was that she was basically talking like she had the job and was the only candidate.

Ian Harkin

It was big enough for them to choose someone who didn’t play for Australia. They’re sure as hell not going to pick someone who isn’t even Australian.

And Akle didn’t put her name forward. Personally I think she would have been great, no matter how little experience she’s had. But no, it can’t be her.

al_ex
    Participant

Tamsin Greenway shouldn’t even be the English coach yet let alone the Australian. It seems like her popularity comes a lot from how involved she is with promoting the sport through Sky (which is great), but there’s a lot more to being a coach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Search for new Diamonds coach resumes