Silver Ferns Quad Series team

Silver Ferns Quad Series team2021-12-17T11:43:42+10:00

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns Quad Series team

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

WeWood – nothing to say of Cullens foot surgery and the fact she has a lower back issue (bulging disc?).

mcleod
    Participant

I just really want to know, how Poi can be treated so poorly, after she was the main reason the Ferns won the Con Cup.

11 of the 14 players played in teams from the North Island. Yip teams that finished 1st, 4th, 5th and DFL.

Sure Jane Watson would have been there, but she isn’t and won’t be come Com Games.

Kerryn
    Participant

I’m interested to know, with all the negatives comments regarding this team, who people think should be in the 14 that isn’t? and in place of who?

other than Poi, who I think is pretty much the consensus that should be in the on going 12 instead of Kersten – also Watson- baby, Eke – baby, Gordon – injured

WeWood
    Participant

I was thinking that earlier @Kerryn – would we honestly be happy if only three shooters were picked, or if TPSR/Hume/Falkner got selected?

I genuinely hope we see these trial standouts on court to test them against international opposition – otherwise what’s the point?

WeWood
    Participant

@Maryann re Johnson’s ailments you obviously know more on that than I do. If she spends the ANZP held together with tape and can’t play out full games she’ll rule herself out – remember Noels didn’t pick her for NWC.

mcleod
    Participant

I wouldn’t have Nweke in the Ferns, still think she needs a lot more development. Her shooting range is very, very limited. Mentor had field day against her. Kayla has played what 1/2 game of top Netball in something like 3 years, strolls into he team.

Kat
    Participant

As I already said this a rebuilding phase for the Ferns. Still stand by my comment it is underwhelming. there has bas been so much chopping and changing within the team but also in positions. While I understand there has been some forced changes due to various things, we have seen in the Ferns Kate Heffernan, Jamie Hume, Peta Toeava, TPSR, Monica Faulkner, Kimi Poi, Whitney Souness, Georgia Tong all play. Now we have Karaka, Johnson, Vui and Reuelu-Buchanan in the team. I think some of these players should have never been picked in my opinion.

I’m hoping that some players will return before the commonwealth games.

Also agree with the person who said if they are going to pick these new players then they need to play in the quad. I would hate to think that Vui sits on the bench for all of the games in the quad. Put her on for a couple of quarters at least and see how she goes. We are not going to win games against Aussie and England and probably not South Africa, so now is the time to give the new players a go.

Kat
    Participant

I get what you mean Mcleod. However our shooting stocks are not great, so I would rather Nweke, at least she seems keen and what to improve. ANZ only has 6 teams and 2 of them had imported shooters, 1 had the incumbent Silver Fern, So that leaves Bird, Dunn and Nweke. Mes also had ruled herself out. In an ideal world, you are right Nweke should have at least another season under her belt before even thinking about the Ferns. It was a shame that u21 was cancelled.

As for Kayla, you are right, she hasn’t played since 2018? and she is right back in the Ferns. I do like her as a player, because when she is good she is really good, but certainly injury has plagued her.

tasman
    Participant

My starting seven – then changes i would consider:
    GS Wilson – Nweke to come on only if Wilson gets the wobbles
    GA Metuarau – do not take this girl off court! Vui only if injury occurs
    WA Crampton – Saunders in 3rd Q as impact player if Gina gets beaten
    C Saunders – Kersten if pace of game gets frenetic for the steadying influence, MRB in 4thQ if winning by wide margin
    WD Winders – change to Cullen in 2nd half as impact player if needed
    GD Burger – no change here, unless she has a bad game, then Cullen as substitute
    GK Fitzpatrick (or Jury if against Fowler) – Karaka as substitute if needed

But i predict this will be DNTs seven:
    Wilson
    Metuarau
    Crampton
    Kersten
    Winders
    Burger
    Jury

WeWood
    Participant

Nice Tasman. After saying I didn’t want Saunders to start at C, seeing your team list reminded me she’s had a season feeding Metuarau and has all those years with Crampton. Crampton and Wilson have worked well together for the Stars as well.

However, agree and think we’ll see Kersten get the nod to start at C..

What also has me concerned is Wilson’s wobbles under the hoop. I note Te Aroha Keenan’s involvement for this series, and Wilson worked with her over the ANZP series to try remedy her shot. But in all honesty I don’t think her issues are technical, more mental/wellbeing.

TB
    Participant

Nweke would be my starting GS, hands down. She just needs more court time, and time to build her confidence. She’s more of a threat in the circle, than any other NZ shooter.
    She totally dominated in the ANZP. SF defenders couldn’t contain her, and most of the time she was doubled.

Once she gets her confidence on the international stage, those defenders will struggle to contain her too. Yes Mentor had the better of her, but give her some time and I’m confident she’ll battle well against her.

Wilson is good backup, but could also be a solid starter if she gets confidence back again. So I do see it as a win-win.

I do wonder if this is DNT subtle message to the Mystics camp, to start Vui next season? I feel like her selection over Falkner and Hume, is some sort of message (I could be reading too much into it 🤷‍♂️😂)

Waylay
    Participant

I agree TB. Nweke will outplay Mentor next time they match up, I have no doubt about that at all. She is so talented and once the feeders start letting the ball go confidently she is unbeatable. The only defender that I think can challenge her is Sterling.

I’m glad to see Mila Reuleu-Buchanan in the squad and I think it’s been a long time coming for her. I’m surprised to see Cullen and wouldn’t have picked her personally but I do love watching her play too.

tasman
    Participant

I agree about Nweke but she wasn’t quite there against England so if DNT sees this as a build up to CWG, she should try to give Nweke more court time. But if she is trying to win, i think she’ll opt for Wilson, assuming she is back to her previous form. Nweke’s foot work, ball handling and body positioning has improved a lot but still not good enough against the world’s best. I worry about how she’ll go against the likes of Bruce and Klau who are so physical and quite good against the holding shooters. I hope she gets a run against them, even if we lose.

Although i would like to see Vui and MRB given a go, realistically, they are less likely to make the CWG team so i don’t think we should waste valuable international court time “blooding” them. Rather, i would leave the best 7 (+/- the impact players) out on court, even if they’re losing, to put pressure on them to try to get themselves out of trouble.

With Cullen and Karaka, i also have my reservations about their selection, but i have faith that DNT would have only picked them because they were good enough to make the team in the trials, rather than historical form. So I’ll save my criticism until I’ve seen them out on court ;)

I’m really really looking forward to these games. I will be so devastated if they cancel the series.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns Quad Series team